Rods with provenance

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Rods with provenance

Post by crowebeetle »

You will be remembered for your generosity. Did you fish it one more time before the donation?

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

crowebeetle wrote:You will be remembered for your generosity. Did you fish it one more time before the donation?
Friend Spruce Grouse is the generous one. But yes, I spent time with it...

Spruce (left) & I on the West Branch of the Bitterroot in 2015:

gmflyfish
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gmflyfish »

Leonard Model 40 Prototype built and used by Ted Simroe. It was an interesting rod and I had a chance to talk to Ted about it. Dontated to the EIFTE in 2018 for their 25th anniversary

reelill
Master Guide

Post by reelill »

I hope this fits in here. I got this rod from a good friend here on the forum.
As marked built for Bill Balan by Paul Hightower and Betty Malara. It is a lovely little 3 piece 7 1/2'er.
Richard
For more photos of this rod see this link.
https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers/253
Antique Rod and Reel Library https://antiquerodandreels.com/
Antique Rod and Reel Exchange https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodandreelexchange/

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

I have 2 cool rods (available), Lee Wulff's Orvis 7 foot Deluxe and a Bristol F15 7.5 footer that belonged to Arthur E. Crane, in addition to fine stationary the Crane Company in Dalton, Massachusetts makes all the cotton paper for US currency.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Here's a circa 1938 Goodwin Granger 9050 Premier presented to Lewis J. Todhunter outgoing President of the Denver Rotary Club. Famous? No. Provenance? Yes!
Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

cutthroattroutnm
Master Guide

Post by cutthroattroutnm »

reelill wrote:I hope this fits in here. I got this rod from a good friend here on the forum.
As marked built for Bill Balan by Paul Hightower and Betty Malara. It is a lovely little 3 piece 7 1/2'er.
Richard
For more photos of this rod see this link.
https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers/253
Other than the grip, it looks like a Granger Favorite.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

I have a Winston 8", 3/2 for a 6 weight, owned by the late Dr. Paul Hermann and purchased from Fred Kretchman. Typical beautiful looking Winston made by Glenn and the boys. I plan to show Glenn this summer when I see him.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

I acquired the rod below in about 1970-1971 at auction in Boston and as part of group of late 19th and early 20th century rods in various states of condition. An early Leonard, a Kosmic, several Appleton & Basset trolling rods, etc. As an enlisted sailor at the time I could ill afford it but bid anyway.
This rod is unique and I’ll give the short story. It was made for Mr. E.S. Osgood – then of New York – who had been the supervisor of the production of Kosmic rods for Spalding, then U. S. Net & Twine and finally landed at Abercrombie & Fitch until his somewhat early death. Fly Rod Crosby wrote about meeting with Mr. Osgood at the Spalding store In New York. He fished at Upper Dam in Maine and it was written that he only fished with a Kosmic (as did his little daughter). With a Kosmic he landed a 9 pound, 2 ounce brook trout at Upper Dam in 1892. He competed in casting competitions in New York as an amateur and served as a judge. He authored at least one chapter in a book about fishing. Toward the end of his life he had this rod built for him by, we firmly believe, Fred Thomas. It has Kosmic parts. He intended, according to an article about the rod in Forest & Stream to sell the rods under his name – something that never came to pass. It is engraved on the reel seat, “Osgood & Osgood, Makers, New York.” As you can see the rod has a butt, two mids and two tips in a [Mrs.] Payne bag.
It is unique. One of one. Let me add one touch. At my request, the rod was restored by the person who I wanted to restore it. The late A. J. Campbell. I am grateful he undertook to do it. I think he rather wanted to write than wrap intermediates, but he, like I, enjoyed the rod and felt it needed the restoration.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I recently acquired a Goodwin Granger 8040 Special that was purchased by Orton Brown for his son, Gordon Brown of Berlin, NH. The Brown family was in the timber/paper business and were avid conservationist and outdoorsmen. The rod was last use by Gordon in the early 60's on Lake Cupsuptic in Randley, ME. I purchased the rod from Gordon's grandson.

The Brown family, known as "Berlin's Royal Family" and their contribution to the town of Berlin are well documented. Gordon was born in 1903 and was in the freshman class of Williams College in 1925.

Sparquero
Master Guide

Post by Sparquero »

I was fortunate to acquire a 7' 3/2 Mills Standard that was owned by Elizabeth Walden Hyde who wrote an article in American Fly Fisher Magazine in 1982 critical of Ernest Hemingway.

http://www.amff.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... pdf[center][/center]

I was informed that this rod was a wedding gift from her father which I believe dates it to 1959/60. The rod was very well used and likely much loved, had only one original snake guide and different replacements with various wrap coloring, but it was intact and all full length. I had the rod brought back to its former glory and am pleased that it will continue to be used, carefully, as it should be. This rod has her name in very nice script on one of the flats which was preserved. I have used this rod a few times and it really is a joy to cast and I can understand why it was so well used.

This is a great and very interesting thread, wonderful to see so many bamboo fly rods that were treasured by their original owners and are still a valued, and well taken care of, treasure today.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

I bought this rod, via Vintage, from the Lively family...now on the East Coast. It was a Christmas present from Paul Young to Chauncy. He later refinished it and gave it to his new daughter-in-law. It is weird in that it apparently is a prototype Marta Marie with a swelled butt, and blonde finish. We all cast it at our PHY cast-in in PA, and everyone was puzzled but agreed it was another of the many anomalies that have come out of the PHY history.

Ralph

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

One more Granger with provenance from the same era...

This one's a scarce Goodwin Granger 7030 DeLuxe purchased here on the Forum and restored by Scott Whitman after experiencing a 'black tube varnish meltdown'.

Carefully inked on the well-preserved Granger label is, "Joseph Lloyd Barnett; 475 5th Avenue; New York City, NY". Our own cwfly determined that Mr. Barnett was "a lawyer, magician and expert trout fisherman" according to his research. (Thanks again, Charlie!)

His law office was later located at 275 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016. Mr. Barnett's corporation was dissolved as of May 18, 1992.
Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

gooseberryrods
Master Guide

Post by gooseberryrods »

I recently traded a Garrison 8', model 209, to a rod maker/dealer.
I used Kathy Scott's recent book, "The Letters to Everett Garrison" as provenance to determine that the 209 was made for Mary Rockefeller Strawbridge and later restored by Garrison. What a great resource her book is and a wonderful read!!
Last edited by gooseberryrods on 02/17/19 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I have a couple that are interesting. The first, and oldest, is an 8 1'2' 2/2 Orvis Battenkill marked for a 9 line that was owned by Dr. Livingston Parsons, Jr. author of the book "Salmon Camp: The Boland Brook Story, 65 Years of Angling on the Upsalquitch River". I believe it was one of the late doctor's salmon rods, though it is not mentioned in the book. I hope to swing steelhead flies if I ever get to a steelhead river in the right condition.

Second entry is a Winston 7'6" 2/1 Penta for a 5 line built by, and purchased from, Jerry Kustich. Prior to the Boo Boys leaving Winston, Glenn Brackett encouraged Jerry's interest in five strip rods, and Jerry made several prototypes until he designed and built this taper. It was one of a very small run of these penta's they built for sale as single tip rods. Jerry had retained this one until my purchase.

This is a very bright, sweet casting 5 weight, with that little bit of oomph that penta's provide
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

OK, now that Quashnet spoke about Martha Young’s Perfectionist I used to own that he now owns I’ll add my rods with provenance.

Another Young rod I owned was Dodi Fords Midge, she was the daughter of Edsel Ford and granddaughter of Henry Ford.

A Summers 3 tip (L,M & H) built for author Dan Catau.

A Dickerson 9016 with extension butt made for Tim Bedford who purchased the Dickerson Shop.

A Schaaf Custom Creede IV made for rod maker Chad Wigham.

A second era H S Gillum 8’ 2 pc Trout taper with 3 tips (2 original to the rod and a 3rd added when Pinky began using Resourcinal glue), purchased the rod from the writer of The Kings Speech, David Seidler.

An experimental version of the Driggs by John Pickard that he had and decided to sell it, I always loved the Driggs taper and and wrangled an original Paul Young Driggs from Quashnet.

An 8’4” 2 pc 2 tip Quadrate prototype from Michael Montagne.

An 8’ 2 pc 2 tip RL Winston Hollowbuilt made for Archie Walker of Walker Reels.

A 2 pc bait casting rod made for the American Casting Club by Lyle Dickerson.

Owning a rod by Morris Kushner ( Ch 13 Morris the rod maker in Robert Travers Trout Magic) is a feat of itself but purchasing it from the son of Ed the Soapman Lotspiech (Ch 11 in Robert Travers Trout Magic) was provenance on its own until I found out this was the first rod Kushner gifted the judge that he wrote about in Trout Magic Ch 13.

I know I’ve probably left out a couple but there you have what I remember.
banjo

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

I own a 8’ Leonard 50 DF which banjo sold to me; the original owner was Donal C. O’Brien Jr. who was the Rockefeller family lawyer for five decades and long time chairman of the National Audubon Society. Two days after his death I caught a large rainbow trout and during that experience it felt like Mr. O’Brien was enjoying the river and its bounty one more time. -tomVT

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

I have several, but some of the names escape me!! Heres what I recall;

I have a rod that belonged to Livingston Parsons Jr of "Salmon Camp" fame. The one I own is a Payne salmon rod.....and it is well fished!!

An early Orvis rod that came from the Frederick Remington Estate.

An Edwards rod that was owned by (Forgot the name) but he was a fishing buddy of Pres. Coolidge.

A Powell rod that came via Gerald Stein (Dickerson book) and a Schaaf rod (Co-author of the same book)

I have several rods, reels, flies, and a prototype tube fly vise that came via Les Johnson. He wrote several Salmon and Coastal Cutts books. He was a friend and a fly fishing mentor growing up.

I know there are others, but again the names and rods escape me!!

Paul

Cork & Cane
Guide

Post by Cork & Cane »

I had a Paul Young Parabolic 15, that was made for Tom McGuane. It could throw a lot of line, but the angels didn't sing loudly for me.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Not bamboo rods but fly fishing items

1. Trout Unlimited Presidential Edition Print signed by Jimmy Carter
2. Limited edition landing net made by Earnest Scweibert
3. Steelhead article manuscript written by Romer Zane Grey (Hand written signed copy and original transcribed type writer edition)

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”