Opinions on Selling Collectable/Used Rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Opinions on Selling Collectable/Used Rods

Post by Flyman615 »

wrong66 wrote:I wonder if allowing discussions on "classic" fiberglass and graphite rods on our forum (in a sub-forum, of course) would bring over more younger people and consequently expose them to bamboo, thereby creating somewhat of a resurgence in interest in bamboo rods? At least on this forum, but we have to start somewhere. I know glass and graphite has been a taboo subject here forever, but the thought did cross my mind. I really don't know how to get younger folks over here and, as far as I'm concerned, this forum is the best exposure for classic bamboo rods than any other place on the internet. Or maybe anywhere in the world!

I agree. In fact, we've lost more than one valued Forum contributor because they wanted to discuss glass/graphite rods in the context of, for example, a company that made rods over the years from all three materials. What a simply myopic result!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

Folks…I started this thread trying to find out more about my listing and the fact that I have had little interest…and I applaud the number of posts with some honest thoughts on the market and where it might go….as well as good tangential stuff about the concerns surrounding the sport we all love.

In one of my offline conversations…I came upon the notion of how the sport has changed….frankly…much of the knowledge and techniques we acquired over 50+ years on the stream (mostly wading) will probably go to the grave with us. The focus today is on floating (usually guided) and throwing double nymph rigs with huge indicators (basically worm fishing IMHO)…little need for stealth, casting, and presentation. With this approach to “fly fishing”…sure one can use bamboo…but the essence of the rod is lost…and plastic serves the purpose better. This probably will open a whole new 'can-of-worms' HA!HA! about the evolution of the sport...but think about it...who would teach a new flyfisher to fish with soft hackles with a slow action bamboo rod.

I learned to cast at the Golden Gate Casting Club in SF with my first bamboo rod from Gary Howells….and learned to fish walking the banks of Hat Creek in the mid-1970’s….when stealth, casting, and presentation were essential. I am so fortunate to have fished the places I have with the friends I have made…many through the connection to the bamboo rod.

My son started to understand a few years ago when I showed how to pick apart a pod of fish on the Missouri taking tricos but work in NYC keeps him too busy. I plan on taking him to Patagonia in Feb...maybe I can re-ignite his interest.

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

Well the sport of collecting is certainly in the toilet
As already stated
I spoke with Debbie at Lang’s a few years back
Her prediction was the sport would tank fo a long time but eventually come back
That’s my thoughts as well
When young folks are older and have the cash
Or if people from Russia or china decide to fish we will be in a better place with bamboo rods
If not I’m fine fishing My rods until I die knowing it was someone’s passion to build a fine rod, and I had the fortune to fish it
Don’t forget to support the sport by volunteering at local fishing events weekends or summer camps
Keep the love of fly fishing alive!
Maybe even donate a bamboo rod to your local trout club

Dave

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

I have a disability, due to a severe car wreck I was involved in back in the 1990’s. My left leg has about 20% nerve damage, I’m forced to walk with a limp and the pain, at times, can be debilitating. It has affected the way I wade fish, the amount of time I can stand in one spot, my mobility and does seem to get worse with time. One day here soon I’ll no longer be able to fish the way I have for so many years.

My point is, as for me, I don’t really care if the bamboo collectible market comes back or not, if it does, well that would be great. I have worked very hard to earn my living and some of the monies I’ve earned has been spent on things that have enhanced my enjoyment of life and one of those things is fly fishing and collecting vintage fly tackle.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

uppercreek
Guide

Post by uppercreek »

Like many of us, I came to fly fishing using a graphite rod (albeit an early rod with bamboo like action), and still sometimes use graphite rods. I bought my first bamboo fly rod at a local auction, a cute little 7 1/2' 3 piece Kingfisher, because I thought it was cool looking with the Kingfisher decal and fancy signature wraps and had a "mystique" about it. After doing some research on it, and securing a copy of the 1940 Ed Tryon catalog page in which my rod appeared, I became even more intrigued. Then I put a line on it and discovered it had a nice action. The first bamboo fly rod that I actually fished was a beat up old Tonka Prince that I had to tape the reel onto. It cast fine and I had a wonderful day with it, catching many wild browns on Lick Run.

I think many young fly fishers will at some point catch the bamboo or glass "bug", perhaps as they grow older with more disposable income, maybe even becoming interested in the history of the sport. As Bulldog and others have said, we have to conserve our cold water resources if there is to be that opportunity. I've read predictions by scientists that in 60 years, if nothing changes, the earth's climate will have changed so drastically that half of all suitable trout habitat on the planet will disappear. I'm glad to see an interest in fly fishing among young people, even if many are fishing with different techniques than we did, because they are the future of the resource, without which many of these precious historical artifacts will not be preserved. There is a connection.

Kevin

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Wrong66 is right!!

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

PYochim wrote:Wrong66 is right!!

I couldn't agree more Paul!!

Hope you're happy in your new digs...

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

PYochim wrote:Wrong66 is right!!
BTW, the classic car hobby is very actively seeking ways to bring GenX and Millenials into the fold. And they're recognizing "modern" collectible vehicles that are both attractive and affordable to younger buyers, and not just the traditional classic cars.

The collector car magazines are also writing appropriate articles emphasizing the new and "hot" vehicles both foreign and domestic.

In short, that (expensive) hobby is actually doing constructive things in order to grow instead of die. Unfortunately, I don't see much of that--yet--in our world of classic tackle.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

The Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA) understands this problem and is making attempts to recognize many of the newer reels made during the last 30 years or so, knowing that it could bring newer and younger people into the club, instead of just focusing on the older classics from the 1950's on back. They are also taking advantage of social media, particularly Facebook, to get the attention of younger people who might very well develop an interest in the older reels once they are exposed to them. ORCA is another group of old farts, but we're starting to realize the club may cease to exist down the road unless we embrace younger folks with different interests and, in the process, expose them to the older classics (where they may, or may not, develop an interest through time). By the same token, some of us older guys may very well become interested in some of the newer reels. This forum, and particularly fly fishing with bamboo, is facing the same scenario. Not that big of a deal to add a sub-forum for glass & graphite. We need some new blood, IMO, and there's nothing wrong with change. Change is life.
Mark

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Same with fancy shotguns and the like.
Golden years were the late 80's and 90's regarding bamboo. More or less a gradual plateau after that.

Ocduff
Guide

Post by Ocduff »

I’m 42 and own 2 bamboo fly rods and several graphite. I saw prices on rods on eBay in 2004 or so and yes they seemed about double for Grangers etc. But I can’t comment on a downturn on other brands.

What I can say is that many are saying their rods are only worth half or 70% of what was paid, but really - those coming to the table now have no context of what a buyer paid at bamboo fever peak.

They only see them as they are - the playing field is leveled and they are being evaluated based on today’s current market, not relative to 2004 or whichever year one chooses to pick as a high water mark.

Some are always saying that prices are down - I’m not seeing it having had my eye on the market for 5 years. I don’t see the “giving” away rods and in fact I don’t see many great prices or deals on the classifieds and when I do they are gone. The lament from others “that they are giving their rods away” is perhaps a proverbial arm over the shoulder for what must be a shock to those who came into a hot market.

Some say Leonard’s are tanking hardest. Compared to when? Show me a nice fishable 8’ 5-6 weight Leonard for $600 and you’ll have buyers. That may make some gasp but the competition is with graphite rods - it’s relative to the cost of those rods when one is making a rod purchase and graphite is relatively inexpensive compared to what bamboo was in its day.
Most could risk breaking a $600 rod, not a $1800 one.

Regardless, if probably not the buyer of these nice rods. I’m personally not a collector, but this does not speak on behalf of my generation - I’m thrifty, logical and practical. As David Gilmour of Pink Floyd said of his best guitars (and I paraphrase) “that they each gave me a song and so earned their keep.”

I just ask that a rod “give me a song.” I don’t know what exactly that means but I intend to find out. There’s a lesson to be had in bamboo. It’s still a puzzle to me.

Still now I’m trying to understand the limits of bamboo - what it can do and what it can’t. Long graphite rods throwing light lines have changed the way my generation have come to the sport. For me to be standing chest deep and trying to get my 7’ rod to throw 50 feet of line effortlessly to a rising trout, makes me feel like I’m asking something of bamboo that I take for granted in graphite.

Further, I must evaluate and “wade” through the popular opinion that smaller and lighter bamboo is better - and perhaps even this is a “graphite’ism” - some want a rod that feels as fast and light as a 9’ graphite rod, and yet therein lies the only similarities, as they do not perform the same - and they shouldn’t.

And yet on smaller streams, close in, turning over dries with sidearm roll casts that I’ve never been able to achieve with graphite, playing fish - well, bamboo has made me feel like a better fisherman. So to that end I may need a longer bamboo rod and just contend with the heavier weight, just to level the playing field between the two mediums.

Lastly I might add that fisherman often had ONE bamboo rod and used it for years and years. Us with our collections and decisions on choosing which rod we are going to take out today - that should tell us that these rods are, in effect, still pretty cheap.

I’ve been hearing the lament that prices are down since I’ve been on the forum - that makes me sad for a lot of reasons. I value and respect my fellow and elder fisher people’s experience as expertise. I don’t want to see you or your collections go and I don’t want to benefit from that but you are the generation that drove the price of Payne’s up and into collectors hands and out of mere mortals hands. I’d be fishing with them now if you’d all overlooked them as just old rods. :)

This same stuff happened in the vintage guitar world as well. There you have hero worship to contend with - Eric Clapton has the ability, even at the slightest whim, to make a forgotten dust bin amp into a collectible merely by recording a song with it - that’s what always drove the market.

People talk about quality, and well, all else aside you just can’t get the quality of an old Fender amp today - I don’t care if it’s handmade and hand wired etc. You can’t even buy a quality tube socket anymore let alone a good tube. What made those General Electric tubes so good sounding and long lasting is likely what lines the bottom of the Hudson today. We won’t be seeing that again either.

Will my 1961 Fender Super still be around in 50 years in its current original state? Hard to fathom. But it might. The quality is that good - galvanized steel that doesn’t rust after 40 years in a basement. Transformer laminations that don’t corrode. Screws that don’t look all chewed up if you turn them.

Even if I knew nothing of bamboo rods I’d be able to see the quality in them. Especially the nicer ones. People young and old will always be able to see that. Those Payne’s will be like old engraved over under English shotguns. They will have collectible value always. People should and will give pause should they ever find themselves holding these items over a trashcan, as people have clearly done for almost a century.

And forget the value of these old bamboo rods (even the most earnest trade or catalog rods) - the quality is evident. Chrome plating that hasn’t pitted or worn after 75 years? Guides with a luster and patina that make it evident they were made of materials you truly can’t get today, or moreover that even a word like “German silver” is like saying “wheat flour” - both have likely been bastardized since 1935, and don’t look quite as nice as they did back then.

To me it’s about quality, craftsmanship, tradition, and admiration for the people who made them. To think back on time when I wasn’t even alive and to hold that period in my hand and know in some small way what things were like. To even imagine while I’m fishing on a storied river that time has frozen and to wish for a moment that nothing has ever changed from the way things were.

An illusion perhaps, but a nice one.

Speaking of illusions, where’s those dirt cheap Leonard’s folks keep talking about? ;)

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Now, that's a mouthful. I very much appreciate your perspective on when we each entered the market. That is so true. But, also true is the numbers on those of us who collect and fish cane is shrinking. Last comment, there are a tremendous lot of fine longer cane rods that really are the best of all cane rods. I like my 7 foot Payne, Carlson and Winchester rods a lot, but they don't compare fishing wise, for my fishing, to my 8'6" hollows and solids, or to the fine 8 footers I own; and these rods feel far better to me fishing wise than plastic.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

[quote="Ocduff"]
I’ve been hearing the lament that prices are down since I’ve been on the forum - that makes me sad for a lot of reasons. I value and respect my fellow and elder fisher people’s experience as expertise. I don’t want to see you or your collections go and I don’t want to benefit from that but you are the generation that drove the price of Payne’s up and into collectors hands and out of mere mortals hands. I’d be fishing with them now if you’d all overlooked them as just old rods. :)

Excellent observation and thought. We did it to ourselves. :) That said the prices are still in the toilet. So, we must live with the value/price decline and move on.

gofish60
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gofish60 »

As one who's been fishing bamboo since the mid 40s (albeit 9' $5 rods with my Dad and his buddies), and watched and participated in the roller coaster prices of quality bamboo flyrods since the '70s, I can only say it's been a great, fun ride. My "collection", has probably decreased in value substantially if I figure in just the dollar amounts they once could have gotten. But the value to me also recognizes the quality time I've had using them, not just fishing them, but admiring the incredible craftmanship required to properly produce such a fantastic "machine" out of a natural material. I've had the very good fortune to have a master rodbuilder as a friend and fishing partner. I've seen the skill required to do it absolutely right, and why so few really can do it properly. I've seen a section with many hours of work in it discarded because of a tiny flaw most of us wouldn't even notice. All of that adds to the enjoyment of fishing with my bamboo rods, even though, as has been said, fiberglass and graphite make more sense, if not for anything more than durability.
The few rods I have left will go to my boys and grandson. They may fish and enjoy them, or sell them. I'd prefer the former, but don't really care about the latter. They owe me nothing!
gofish

GANGGREEN
Guide

Post by GANGGREEN »

Personally (and I could be wrong), I think that there's a ton of disposable income in this country, it's just a matter of what folks choose to spend it on. Everyone has a smart phone (some of them costing what a good bamboo rod would cost), we all have several TVs in our home, rarely do you see people driving junkers, like they did when I was a kid (70s and 80s) and I know more than a few people who travel constantly or who have second homes.

I think collectables are down, that's just how it is and people don't value them anymore. Double barrel shotguns are down considerably. Fine hand made furniture can be purchased on Facebook marketplace for a pittance. Limited editions prints that were red hot in the 90s are basically being given away, sometimes for less than the cost of matting and framing. These are just some of the things that I own and have collected.

I'm late to the bamboo rod thing and at age 54 and recently retired (yeah, I'm fortunate), I really don't have any perspective on what they should bring. I'm finally at a time in my life when I can afford nicer things, but I still need to pick and choose. My wife and I have recently spent a lot of money renovating our home, a good bit of money on original art work and travel and I now find myself unwilling to pay even what today's market will bring for a nice bamboo rod. I am looking for my first bamboo rod and I will purchase one soon, I'm just not sure I see that prices are in the toilet, although again, I wasn't paying attention when they were apparently good.

Great discussion though.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Hellmtflies wrote:Gary,
In response to your initial post. The bamboo and classic reel market is in the toilet. Has been for a few years now. I can't seem to move any rods unless I take a terrible loss on my purchases. What I have begun to do is select what I think is a current and true value of a given rod then deduct the 20 or 30% that a dealer would charge for their commission then try to sell the rod at that lower price. It works most often. But again, I'm loosing either through the dealer or a lower price. It's just the way it is currently and I do not see it correcting itself anytime in the near future. Know too that it's not just the rod and reel market. Most collectables today such as books, antiques or whatever simply do not interest the younger folks at all. That said, our interested folks in the market has and is dwindling rapidly. When I go to a bamboo rod show today and in the past several years I'm one of the youngest people present at 62. Most of us are purging our collections and there in no one out there to pick them up. Sad.
My humble 2 cents.
Mark

Wowza, old topic...

That's a pity Mark. I have managed to find a few nice rods (quite nice!) that I honestly love to handle, cast around and will come to fish more and more the next handful of years.

I paid what I'd guess would be in the upper portion of their given price range at the time. Why? B/c I wanted them. Now if I wish to sell and they don't meet the $$ that I paid for them, I'll just keep 'em! Period.

I'm not a poor guy nor a wealthy one but I just love fly rods, especially the really nice ones and I'm not going to take a loss on 'em b/c I'm not down to living on oatmeal just yet and my son would love to inherit them!

Great topic, as many are on this forum!

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

IMO, there’s never been more fly fishers on the planet than there is now. Just playing the odds, there will be a considerable number of those anglers that will mature, learn about the history and tradition, and will appreciate the art, the precious labor and skill involved in building a bamboo rod.
Much like guitars: There’s never been more Chinese guitars on the planet. As young players mature, they search out the collectible guitars and the tone monsters.
Real stuff will always rise like cream. Skim milk fads come and go.

dnester
Sport

Post by dnester »

Recently I listed five bamboo rods and three Bogdan reels on the auction site.
Rods listed : Payne , Leonard, Maurer, Young . Thought long and hard about a strategy for successful selling. Using a reserve price is very costly. I used a reserve price , for protection , on a few items and it cost over $ 100.00 + in fees !
Sold all items listed . Accomplished by selling items for " going prices ". I sold some items for Less than I had invested and other's for close to original amount invested. Bogdan items sold for (appx) - $ 1500.00 dollars per / reel. In all instances , less than invested.
Rods all sold for less than $1200.00 . Majority sold for $800. to $1000.00 dollars. None of items sold for a net return /profit of more than 00. 06 % . That is about $ 50.00 to $ 100. 00 profit on one item . A tough decision to make , but I feel the future of the tackle selling and collecting market is shadowed. Prices will continue to erode.

In my case , I am continuing to follow through on a plan to liquidate my collection , I put in place three years prior.
First year I sold eight rods and zero reels to a old time Michigan rod dealer. Second year I did same. Each year I faced declining prices. Dealer purchasing tackle had established a 'buying price ' which was about 30% to 45% - UNDER the price that was listed as the selling price in dealers newsletter. This was OK at first , but when the average selling price also dropped - Then I had a problem. Selling collectable rods & reels is doable , but the 'bad taste ' one experiences has to be accepted.

Unless the market is suddenly revitalized - who knows how vast the decline ?
At my age (74+) I have little alternatives. My spouse looks at my collecting as hoarding and does not want to be stuck with disposing of my dust collecting , safe stored collection. Next season I will dispose of more items. And I will be venting
once again. At least I was able to sell what I had listed. Noted many other famous Classic rods being listed with starting bid prices
at average selling price . NONE of rods even had a starting bid and auctions ended.
The Future will unfold - what will be result ?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

dnester:

+1!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

Just taking a break from putting on the last coat of spar on the wraps of my '37 FE Thomas Special Streamer that I'm restoring, enjoying this thread continuation over a pour of bourbon, and thinking about what makes our sport such a passion for each of us. Thanks tapermaker for bringing back the thread to today as forgot this one. Not going to go on as long as Ocduff did, but noticed a few pearls among many laments here. Seems we're really fortunate to have an item like a bamboo rod that can give so much pleasure in using as just admiring the workmanship, that in pursuing the sport, we can have joy in the experiences on the river or stream as much as in the friends we make along the way, and we can always learn something new in a technique or tidbit to make the whole thing that much more special.

For me, like fine antique furniture or a good bottle of .... there is so much to appreciate and savor with the use of a bamboo rod. I know the market goes up and down, and prices aren't always kind at the time we sell, but the time spent on the water in the early morning stalking fish and enjoying God's creation is priceless. I've been fortunate to meet some nice guys along the way and learned a new aspect to this sport in building out or restoring old rods - mostly in respect to making them into the fishing tools they once were so they could be used again. If wrong66/Mark or someone else could get it started, I agree that the best way to introduce the next generation to what we admire and enjoy is to expose them to it; whether in a sub-forum on glass and graphite so the curious would come by, or in clubs and such. By way of personal example, I've got fine memories of weekly evenings spent at a place in Glen Ellyn IL called Fly & Field, sitting around tying flies and talking with a bunch of guys about flyfishing. Those that were younger, like me then, got great exposure to the sport. I didn't even get exposed to bamboo, let alone cast one of those "elite" rods, until just about 5 years ago in a chance outing of the local club's casting clinic. A few minutes with an Orvis bamboo rod and I was hooked, so to speak.

So where am I going with this rambling? We are lucky indeed to be able to use and enjoy the rods we collect and even if they don't bring back a profit when its time to sell them, we got to enjoy them for years along the way.

Ending with my favorite quote, (first read on this forum), "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau

For what its worth, David

PS to Tapermaker, Dennis, looking forward to the new rod you built and expect to cherish it like each that I have as my "collection" isn't just to be on a shelf, but fished as they were designed.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”