Bamboo Fly Rods Today

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Bamboo Fly Rods Today

Post by Canewrap »

I know the future of our passion for bamboo has been discussed before, but so far I haven't seen any real "out-of-the-box" thinking about how we can get the current crop of 40-somethings and slightly younger committed fly fishers interested in owning a bamboo rod. Even if it's one for specific uses. Bamboo really shines in the small to medium stream environment. Ideas that would allow us to realize a niche continued interest would be very welcome. Let's get back to the reason for this forum and stop the petty bickering that threatens to destroy everything we've built.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bamboo Fly Rods Today

Post by RMorrison »

So that’s a tough one. What I’ve done in an attempt here is simply offer to let my younger (I’m 48 for context) fishing companions cast whatever I’m fishing when I’m out with younger guys. So far I’ve had one kid who is 30 looking very seriously for his first cane rod. I did give a Powell history presentation to our local club focusing on the cane. Not really a ton of interest. Honestly I don’t think 30 somethings are really cut out for bamboo. There’s too much going on at that age. I wasn’t into bamboo in my 30s. I didn’t get into bamboo myself until I was in my 40s. I had the time, money, and interest. Powell graphite and glass were the gateway. I don’t really know that there’s anything that can be done but take the opportunities to educate and pique interest when they present themselves. That’s all we can do. Nature will take its course.

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

That is tough,I got in to bamboo at 33 now 45 I fish with several people younger and older people offer them bamboo to use they tend to be to worried if it breaks then what,I tell them not to worry it can be fixed, they all have modern rods I wrapped for them and have all broke them over the years.Price and instant availability are very real if you are 30,if the history doesn’t catch your attention you probably won’t wait to long to get a new rod . I don’t know of a fly shop in Oregon where you can walk in and find more than 1 bamboo rod to see or try out that is a real problem if you don’t see them you won’t think about them if it is not the new ,fastest,lightest shiniest in all the new magazines ,you might look like a older curmudgeon like me ,mostly not readily accessible to them that very second . I will keep taking them fishing and offering them bamboo .

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

I think about this topic quite a bit. Daily perhaps. And though I have nothing really out of the box to share, here are a few observations to hopefully keep this thread rolling.

Full disclosure, I'm a member of the demographic mentioned above, a rodmaker who would love to figure out how to sell rods to that demographic, and have a marketing background which somehow or another seems like it should be helpful in figuring this thing out...

One of the first obstacles usually mentioned when discussing how to get younger fly fishers interested in bamboo is cost. That's a tough one to get around when many new bamboo rods run 2x (or more) the cost of "top of the line" graphite rods - whose price is often seen as exorbitant to begin with. But I don't think cost is the key factor. In very general terms, individuals in their 40s, and particularly 30s and younger tend to want and own fewer "things". But often the things they own are very carefully chosen, have meaning to them, and may seem surprisingly expensive to someone who does not share the same interest (sure sounds like bamboo rods to me). Another trait somewhat common in this demographic is a tendency to be leery of "big brands" and an interest in supporting smaller makers, particularly ones they can connect with and who are deeply dedicated to their craft. Even with what may seem like a large price tag, when you look at the material costs and time involved it doesn't take long to realize that pretty much only people who are passionate about bamboo are making these tools that we love. Two other interests of mine include classic handmade bicycles and mechanical watches - how are these in anyway related to bamboo fly rods? Both involve technologies which at first glance seem outdated or "old-fashioned". Both have a small but strong community of makers advancing the craft, and often these makers do not have much in terms of marketing budgets. Both usually come with price tags which will bring questioning looks from anyone who doesn't share the interest. Perhaps unlike bamboo fly rods, both have seen significant growth over the past 10 or so years and much of this growth has been fueled by individuals under 40. Another possible difference is that they both have a very sizable online presence in the form of websites, blogs, and social media, sharing information on new makers and various brands, usually with lots of enthusiasm and positivity.

Another challenge is helping this audience get past many of the perceptions they may have about bamboo rods. Often when I meet a younger fly fisher on the water, they may think I'm using a fragile, antique bamboo fly rod. Well, sometimes I am... but 90% of the time it's a new rod, made with modern adhesives, to very tight tolerances and in many ways less fragile than a contemporary graphite rod. And if something happened to the rod it could be repaired. Pretty quickly in fact, since I know the maker ;) But it does seem that bamboo rods are frequently regarded as fragile, overly slow, or constantly in need of repair. I think a lot of these perceptions come from seeing old rods in various states of disrepair and not being aware that there are many people making new rods which can be light, fast and durable.

That brings me to what I think is one of the biggest issues in growing the use of bamboo rods among younger users - visibility. This website is a huge asset in this area, and one of the few. But as Canewrap mentioned above it's not always a welcoming place, maybe especially for newcomers. Meeting these potential new cane users where they're at (including but not limited to social media, online magazines, etc.) could be a key step in changing the perceptions of bamboo that we often hear about. Much easier said than done of course, but even small steps can help get it rolling. Earlier this year I offered to let someone I met on a stream try the bamboo rod I was using for a few casts. After convincing him it's just a tool and not an objet d'art he gave it a couple casts and asked if he could snap a couple pics for instagram - "absolutely!" I could be on shaky ground here and there could be other factors at play, but it seems to me that not too long ago fiberglass was in a similar situation - it was pretty rare that I saw someone using a fiberglass rod. But after a site or two dedicated to glass popped up, then some more, then some hashtags... it wasn't long until there was a pretty robust offering of glass rods to pick from, even a couple large manufactures brought glass back into their line. (Apologies for the mention of fiberglass, but in this case it's for the betterment of bamboo!)

Well that's probably more than enough for now. Sorry for the rambling, and I look forward to seeing where this thread will lead.

Best,
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

tcorfey
Guide

Post by tcorfey »

Andy, that was very well stated. In my mind you seem to be on target with your thinking.

I myself belong to the Oakland Casting Club in CA. I regularly offer anyone up there (even young kids) the opportunity to cast my rods. The beginners are concerned that the rods are too beautiful and possibly too delicate to cast or use. I tell them no way these rods were built for fishing. The more experienced people that have any experience with casting fly rods are surprised at the performance and accuracy and these people will say, they always had the impression that Bamboo rods were heavy and slow. Some people are intrigued enough after casting that they offer to buy my personal rods or ask where they can buy a Bamboo rod but, I rarely if ever see any of them come back to the ponds with their own Bamboo rod at a later date. I am not sure if that is due to price, availability or what other factors make up peoples decisions with regards to the rod they purchase.

Regards,

Tim C.

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

Arubey wrote:but it seems to me that not too long ago fiberglass was in a similar situation - it was pretty rare that I saw someone using a fiberglass rod. But after a site or two dedicated to glass popped up, then some more, then some hashtags... it wasn't long until there was a pretty robust offering of glass rods to pick from, even a couple large manufactures brought glass back into their line. (Apologies for the mention of fiberglass, but in this case it's for the betterment of bamboo!)
the key difference here is that fiberglass was probably never regarded as an "elitist material" for a fishing rod,
coupled with the fact that even new fiberglass by very skilled boutique rodmakers is still a cost-savings over a shiny new top-of-the-line Sage or Winston, etc.

bamboo has a bit of a different challenge to overcome.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Canewrap wrote:I know the future of our passion for bamboo has been discussed before, but so far I haven't seen any real "out-of-the-box" thinking about how we can get the current crop of 40-somethings and slightly younger committed fly fishers interested in owning a bamboo rod. Even if it's one for specific uses. Bamboo really shines in the small to medium stream environment. Ideas that would allow us to realize a niche continued interest would be very welcome. Let's get back to the reason for this forum and stop the petty bickering that threatens to destroy everything we've built.
Strange post. I’ve been on this board almost 14 years. There's something like 20,000 registered users. People come and go. Some lose interest. Whatever. Still lots of active people and from what I can tell there are plenty of young people getting into bamboo and joining this board all the time. Some people that leave are people that gripe and get upset and can't entertain alternative opinions. Others just don't deal well socially, and unfortunately some die. It's just the way it goes.

Gatherings and the internet make information far easier to disseminate than ever before. All my three kids are into fly fishing. It's a simple formula - pass on the info to the public and get kids involved in fly fishing. Like RMorrison said, someday they will discover bamboo when they can afford it We don't need a secret outside the box recruitment campaign. We don't need to fret about it.

I guess another way to state things is with a question - post golden age, when has bamboo collecting and fishing not been a pastime that is dominated by more affluent middle-aged men?

Also for what it's worth, bamboo excels in more than just small and mid sized streams. I use bamboo predominantly in large freestones with flows in the range of 400 to 800 cfs and to catch steelhead in very large pacific northwest rivers, having been doing so for over a decade. I rarely fish with rods less than 8.5 ft. I'm 49 and most of the people in my circle of friends - which is pretty extensive - are younger than me.

Bamboo has always been a niche thing it will survive as long as we have $$ and free time. I'm much more worried about the future of mankind and the challenges we face there than whether or not bamboo will be part of the mix.
Last edited by BigTJ on 09/04/19 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Threads like this one perplex me. It makes me wonder why it is we find the continuing need to speculate--many times negatively, for some unknown reason--on the future of bamboo fly rods and their potential users?

Do we really think we can affect the future popularity, or lack thereof, of this admittedly minor pursuit? I, for one, doubt it.

Fact is, there are still plenty of us who enjoy fishing and/or making, restoring, or collecting bamboo fly rods. Plus, these delightful and varied instruments of pleasure are just as practical and satisfying to use and own as they ever were.

As I enter my eighth decade, I've selfishly decided to concentrate on those endeavors that please me...fishing with and collecting bamboo fly rods happens to be one of those endeavors. But, frankly, I won't be spending much time worrying about what younger generations think about duplicating my affectations or, for that matter, the instruments I use in pursuing them.

But don't get me wrong...if you want to worry and wring your hands over the future of youngsters using bamboo fly rods to catch fish, be my guest. I have many other things to contemplate these days.

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 09/05/19 18:22, edited 2 times in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

" I have many other things to contemplate these days. "

Me too.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I bought three of my employees (all very avid anglers who fish carbon fiber rods) Gierach’s “Fishing Bamboo” . They were readily and cheaply available on Amazon. An easy read. A fun read. I told them it was required reading.
I’ll let them chew on that for awhile. If they get it, great. If they don’t .....more rods for the rest of us!

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Nice idea Brooks. I will say Scott is partially responsible for my ever increasing interest and joy for bamboo. We regularly get together for casting sessions and talks about bamboo and fishing. I’m mainly a Powell and Powell-related maker fan but I have come to appreciate the quality of some of the other makers out there thanks to Scott. And that, like what Brooks has done, is what gets people into things like bamboo rods. Share your joy and affection for this stuff and people who are smart and like minded will simply be drawn into it just through the association. No strategy needed - just infectious enjoyment.

EdMcG
Guide

Post by EdMcG »

Well, maybe it all starts at home. Trying to bring my son in from the spin cast to the fly rod world has been one thing and to bamboo is the next step. I think. We attended an Orvis casting lesson so he’d get proper introduction on graphite. We are going to the Driftless next week. I think I’ll start him out on the graphite he’s familiar with and then hopefully after that first fish put a bamboo rod in his hands.
Maybe like a lot of other things, it starts at home.

Ed

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Totally agree with Scott, Brooks, RMorrison ( we are of the same age Bro 8), Ed & others who just pursue for fun/ relaxation & share passionately. Just a few weeks ago my son Marc wanted to fly fish again after spinfishing for a few months, I asked if he wanted graphites and he said, ‘ I’d like the good stuff Dad.. we fish cane’ :rollin ... Looks like my task is done!

Cheers
Arthur

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I know a guy in his late 20s who makes his own graphite rods and had no experience with bamboo. After seeing me catch steelhead on cane, he started asking me about it. Last week he sent me a picture of himself fishing a Bob Clay rod that belongs to a friend of his. I think maybe he's got the bug now.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/atop- ... ng/7711458

Unless you were introduced early to bamboo by a mentor what 'stage' did you start using a bamboo rod? While forum members can certainly attest that ALL stages mentioned above are achievable with a bamboo rod, the novice tends to have different perceptions of what cane rods can do and the types of people that use them. Is stage 4 a common transition point from graphite/glass to cane?

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

mlarocco wrote:https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/atop- ... ng/7711458

Unless you were introduced early to bamboo by a mentor what 'stage' did you start using a bamboo rod? While forum members can certainly attest that ALL stages mentioned above are achievable with a bamboo rod, the novice tends to have different perceptions of what cane rods can do and the types of people that use them. Is stage 4 a common transition point from graphite/glass to cane?
I think your horoscope would be as big a factor as any other formula.
Or if you are left handed or right handed, or if you have male-pattern baldness, or.....

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

teter wrote:I know a guy in his late 20s who makes his own graphite rods and had no experience with bamboo. After seeing me catch steelhead on cane, he started asking me about it. Last week he sent me a picture of himself fishing a Bob Clay rod that belongs to a friend of his. I think maybe he's got the bug now.
Good for him! I know that any steelhead caught on my Bob Clay Suskwa means more to me than a steelhead caught on my plethora of carbon fiber spey rods.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

I’m fairly certain the biggest factor limiting younger people from fishing bamboo is cost.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

I was 24 when I first got the cane rod bug. Cost was a factor so I thought making a rod would be cheaper. One of the biggest and best errors I made in my life.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Bill T wrote:I was 24 when I first got the cane rod bug. Cost was a factor so I thought making a rod would be cheaper. One of the biggest and best errors I made in my life.
+1, only difference I was 30.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”