Bamboo Fly Rods Today

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

cssmith85

Re: Bamboo Fly Rods Today

Post by cssmith85 »

Don’t lose faith...I am 34, and just purchased 1 Granger 8642 this year and got a 1st Era Denver Special just recently restored. I don’t think the younger generation necessarily steers away from bamboo, but are rather flooded with far too many other offerings competing for our dollars. There is a resurgence of interest in using natural materials for many products, which only helps interest in bamboo rods. I own many other rods besides bamboo, but still use and appreciate them for their workmanship and unique feel.
The River is my Church...

Eyegofaster
Sport

Post by Eyegofaster »

I'm not so sure cost is the prohibiting factor. I bought a used 7'6" Pine River for under $400 and for small Catskills streams it's a blast. Then I got a Phillipson Pacemaker for $500, 8"6" for 6 weight. I certainly was intrigued when I saw other people casting beautiful lines with them and then spent some time handling them in a Catskill fly shop. For what that's worth, there's more than one shop around with used bamboo and from what I've been told, they continue to sell well. Recently I joined a private fly fishing club and most folks use bamboo and being around that is like the Godfather: "Every time I try to get out they suck me back in..." Currently searching for another one. Oh, and there is something magical to carrying bamboo like carrying a fine double gun for grouse. At that level it's not so much about catching fish as aesthetic pleasure (like wearing a Rolex watch which I have zero desire or passion for..) There are those guys who will carry a Wingmaster or Mossberg, and you likely won't get them to appreciate an LC Smith from the early part of the 20th century. But who cares? Carry what you love and use what you love because life is short.

Livingstone
Master Guide

Post by Livingstone »

Hi all, just got back from my son's first cutthroat trip. I've now ruined a perfectly good graphite fisherman by putting an 8' #5 cane rod in his hands, once he tried it this was the only rod he used. There're lessons to be learned here, first let 'em try cane, it may stick and two, you may not get your rod back! I did not. Livingstone.

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

I try to donate a cane rod every year to trout unlimited
Usually an orvis or heddon we do a raffle and precedes go to our youth camp which teaches fly fishing and each kid gets a rod at the end to take home and fish it also adds to fly fishing in general
I have found that is a good way to get young people into cane rods
Dave

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Make another " River Runs Through it" movie. Fly fishing sales went through the roof when that film came out. It was enjoyable for all ages. I believe there's a independent movie out now called ' Chasing the Taper" or something like that,

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Interest in cane rods might increase if there were articles, pictures, advertisements in the popular Fly Fishing periodicals that presented cane rods as practical fishing tools. Throw in some pictures of large fish....

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Arubey brought up a good point, stating that younger people's perception of bamboo rods is that they're fragile and in constant need of repair. If you were new to cane and were browsing eBay listings for bamboo rods, that's exactly what you'd see. A great percentage of bamboo rods on eBay are garbage, with shortened or missing sections, major sets, heavy overall wear, missing mountings or hardware and just terrible cosmetics in general. If eBay was your first exposure to bamboo rods offered for sale, which I'm sure it is for many, then you would be less than impressed, to say the least.
Mark

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

mlarocco wrote:Interest in cane rods might increase if there were articles, pictures, advertisements in the popular Fly Fishing periodicals that presented cane rods as practical fishing tools. Throw in some pictures of large fish....
As if the "pencil" rod companies that subsidize the magazines would allow that!

If I'd stuck with graphite I'd likely have the same rod from 30 years ago. Cane's much more fun and I only have a half dozen of them! I got into them in my later 30's, my uncle had a Leonard Duracane that I saw him fish a few times but never casted. That's what fanned the flames. Unfortunately, I now have that Duracane, fish it in my uncles honor.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

When I am on stream, and someone looks at my rod and asks if it is bamboo, I usually hand it to them to cast. One time this guy I had casting the rod hooked a fish on his first cast. He couldn't believe how lively the bamboo was when he was playing the fish. He didn't ask about how much they cost though. I think most people are in the frame of mind that bamboo is expensive. Well yeah! Some of the makers get top dollar, but I usually tell them that a bamboo rod costs far less than a new Sage, Winston, Loomis, or Orvis. If they can afford one of those, then they are gonna be okay buying a bamboo fly rod, and most of the them will be surprised at how little they cost compared to the name brand graphites!

Struth'

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Livingstone wrote:Hi all, just got back from my son's first cutthroat trip. I've now ruined a perfectly good graphite fisherman by putting an 8' #5 cane rod in his hands, once he tried it this was the only rod he used. There're lessons to be learned here, first let 'em try cane, it may stick and two, you may not get your rod back! I did not. Livingstone.
Congrats Livingstone! You have succeeded.

As a collector, I have been offered & tracked ‘heirloom collections’ many times especially for very rare tackle, art & instruments. I note that even in the Golden era where bamboo was the only option, many avid bamboo fly rod users/collectors couldn’t find heirs who appreciate their rods. The same happens with any collectible including rare violins. My take is that some classics are already quite ‘perfect’ as they are for their original use/purpose like a Strad violin/ Payne cane/ Turkish hand-hammered cymbals/ classic bone China tea sets etc. One reason is lack of interest/ awareness of the ‘experiencing’ these fine classics. Second is the lack of skill & taste to both use & experience such arts. Imagine a non musician trying to play a Strad... I’d bet it’ll sound terrible and none of the violin’s distinct design features make sense! That said, Art is rediscovered every now and then by humanity’s ever craving senses and very curious mind. We who enjoy it just need to ‘enrich our days’ by living out the experience we chose and be stewards for those yet to take this path.

Back to fishing!
Arthur

Livingstone
Master Guide

Post by Livingstone »

ARTHURK,well said. My own philosophy is try to expose the next generation to the values I cherish and that includes my modest bunch of bamboo rods. My son is delighted with his western experience and is now asking about a 4wt., he'll have to wait for Christmas!! Enjoy your passions, Livingstone.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

ArthurK, that was a perfect cast.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Bill T wrote:I was 24 when I first got the cane rod bug. Cost was a factor so I thought making a rod would be cheaper. One of the biggest and best errors I made in my life.
Well, it's a bit like fly tying. If you ONLY make what you need (and only acquire the materials necessary for that), then yes, it WILL be cheaper... Bamboo, BTW is actually a cheap material. And the planes and other woodworking tools we already had.

Note that the outlay for my planing forms wasn't much more than the outlay for my final vice...

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

The original poster invited us to 'think outside the box', regarding bamboo rods.

I suggest making and using bamboo for other methods of angling in order to widen personal horizons, beyond fly which remains (in my opinion) a somewhat limited field. These past 25 years I have made many types of rods, and in most cases prefer them over graphite; bamboo is not 'better', it is different. I think there is little purpose in attempting to 'convert' others to the 'cause'- to what purpose?

It remains a treasured memory to have boated two 20+lb muskie in a day on a bamboo baitcasting rod (there was almost a third..), chinook on another rod, plus countless bass on a dainty baitcaster coupled with a vintage (70's) ABU 2500 Ambassadeur reel, there were others.

Using a double handed bamboo rod is an experience to be believed, to the point that I have little interest in using the graphite which I own.

Think way beyond bamboo fly rods, say I…they will be not only a challenge to make but a rarified experience to use.

Malcolm

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

mlarocco wrote:Interest in cane rods might increase if there were articles, pictures, advertisements in the popular Fly Fishing periodicals that presented cane rods as practical fishing tools. Throw in some pictures of large fish....
We will not see this except on a limited basis because the margins in bamboo are terrible making them unattractive to big companies and the one man bands who make them can’t afford to advertise and promote in that kind of venue.

Bamboo is for the most part a money loser not maker so it will always be niche. Teeny tiny niche.

John

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

BigTJ wrote:Bamboo is for the most part a money loser not maker so it will always be niche. Teeny tiny niche.
This is probably what most of us don't want to hear but knowing this might help to ease up with many discussions here...

gofish60
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gofish60 »

Bill T wrote:I was 24 when I first got the cane rod bug. Cost was a factor so I thought making a rod would be cheaper. One of the biggest and best errors I made in my life.
How hard could it be, right??

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

There are many excellent fly fishermen that have never owned or cast a cane rod. The industry SME's (authors,vendors) rarely profess to use cane in their endeavors. Not ALL cane rods are exceptional casters. There are certainly situations where graphite may be the better tool. Flats sight fishing comes to mind. I have been using a 10wt graphite recently for chuck and duck king salmon fishing in the local rivers even though I own 10 wt cane rod...

Moderator edited...Go political and post will be locked.

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

Some very interesting points and perspectives have been raised in this thread - thanks for the considered contributions.

Along my journey into learning to make and sell bamboo rods I've met many incredibly skilled makers who have been generous with their time and advise. In my journey of fishing bamboo rods I've met and learned from some very talented fly fishers. My life has been enriched by knowing both of these groups. So, yes, I find spending time considering this topic and perhaps somehow increasing awareness of bamboo rods and rodmakers to be very worthwhile. If discussing cane with someone new to bamboo rods ends up with them purchasing a rod from a maker who has helped me along the way - well that would wonderful, and two wins in one. But even if it simply opens someones eyes to the alternatives to the rods produced by companies with large marketing budgets, I'd find satisfaction there as well.

best,
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Arubey wrote:Some very interesting points and perspectives have been raised in this thread - thanks for the considered contributions.

Along my journey into learning to make and sell bamboo rods I've met many incredibly skilled makers who have been generous with their time and advise. In my journey of fishing bamboo rods I've met and learned from some very talented fly fishers. My life has been enriched by knowing both of these groups. So, yes, I find spending time considering this topic and perhaps somehow increasing awareness of bamboo rods and rodmakers to be very worthwhile. If discussing cane with someone new to bamboo rods ends up with them purchasing a rod from a maker who has helped me along the way - well that would wonderful, and two wins in one. But even if it simply opens someones eyes to the alternatives to the rods produced by companies with large marketing budgets, I'd find satisfaction there as well.

best,
Andy
Nicely stated Andy. Thank you.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”