Original Dickerson Rod pamphlets

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Original Dickerson Rod pamphlets

Post by CDCdun »

Wow!! This info is great! Some of those unoriginal scripts would have fooled me. An untrained eye. It looks like they spent time on the signature and the numbers were an afterthought.

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

ARTHURK wrote:Many thanks Marc. A priceless post indeed showcasing years of dedicated collecting & study. Will read every detail very carefully the next few weeks and compare with my own records. Thanks again!

With appreciation
Arthur

Arthur, What type of records/notes you have kept on Dickerson rods? Feel free to PM me your email address if you want to have a talk offline.

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

Withdrawn
Last edited by Mainiac on 02/08/21 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks very much for the signature/script photos, Marc.
Just terrific to see!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

Mainiac, thank you for all the Dickerson rod information. This is the "rest of the story" addition to the knowledge I acquired from Stein & Schaaf's book. My Weiler reproduction 8014 is a great rod.

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Mainiac wrote:
ARTHURK wrote:Many thanks Marc. A priceless post indeed showcasing years of dedicated collecting & study. Will read every detail very carefully the next few weeks and compare with my own records. Thanks again!

With appreciation
Arthur

Arthur, What type of records/notes you have kept on Dickerson rods? Feel free to PM me your email address if you want to have a talk offline.
Hi Marc, pardon the late reply as I have been travelling to monitor my overseas projects.

My ‘records’ are just information kept as part of my personal journey...nothing close to your Dickerson shop records & other paraphernalia. I have kept pictures of various Dickerson rods since beginning my collecting some twenty years ago to study his tapers, design & script. I also corresponded with some restorers about Lyle and received some anecdotal information about Lyle’s ‘preferences’. Can’t be certain these anecdotes are the truth but the fact that one restorer/maker had a unique approach to rod design & has met Lyle who said he designed tapers the same way, did explain some actions of Dickerson rods I own/ tapers I experienced that seem different from the usual ‘ Midwest powerful rods’ description we read online. I have a hunch that some time around the late 50s, the tapers of the golden age masters’ Gillum, Payne, Garrison, Dickerson gradually evolved from medium to faster actions...and no doubt with the help of Brenan & Sparse, there was a meeting of minds that produced one of the best balance of aesthetics, power & ‘feel’ in solid rod design before they diverged/ aged/ passed on. I am focusing on that special moment in time.

Thanks again and have PMed you my email for future correspondences.

Arthur

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”