Leonard 40h Red Wrap

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bob2935
Master Guide

Leonard 40h Red Wrap

Post by bob2935 »

Just wondering if any forum members own the eight foot two piece Leonard 40 H red wrap version. It calls for a sseven but I wonder if it will load with a six weight. I have the same era Simroe Leonard model 40 and it calls for a six but I for me it loads best with a five and a DT 6 overworks the rod. I understand that this is all subjective but curious what members think.

Thanks Bohemian Bob

Sparquero
Master Guide

Re: Leonard 40h Red Wrap

Post by Sparquero »

I had a 40H that I used for a few seasons with a WF6 Cortland Peach line on a bigger river for smallmouth bass.
Rod loaded and cast well with this line, never had any issues, it could cast out a good length of this line, 70-80 feet or more.
Sold the rod a few years ago as I don't get to the big water anymore.

Cheers,
Paul

MtBrittany
Master Guide

Post by MtBrittany »

I have 2 Leonard 40H red wraps. Both rods cast a DT6 (Cortland 444 peach) well; no problems whatsoever and that is what I generally use. I rarely fish either with a WF7. YMMV

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Thanks for the responses. There was a minty one on flea bay that listed for 800.00 but the seller had a no return policy. Always been afraid of those no return purchases. It sold yesterday and of coarse now I regret it. Do own the lighter model 40 Simroe era and that is a super five weight.

Thanks Bohemian Bob

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”