David Norwich Bamboo Rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Lewis Chessman
Sport

Re: David Norwich Bamboo Rods

Post by Lewis Chessman »

I have to be honest and say I don't think that yours is a David Norwich rod, Jackthecat, but I'm no expert.
There are a few things that don't look right to me.
I haven't seen a D.N. cane rod before with that style of stepped ferule, nor one with intermediate wraps or that kind of keeper ring, seat or cork. All D.N. rods I've seen have been fully attributed above the cork and in a clear, confident hand. The '#36' doesn't look right to me.
If it is a D.N. then #36 would be in his early days when I think he would have used varnish on the whippings. I can't be certain from your photos but it looks like your rod has co-polymer or epoxy resin? If so, then it is a much later rod.
Finally, some eye feet are wrapped unevenly. I haven't seen that on a Norwich rod before, either.

I found one reference to Jack "Have Rod Will Travel" Hanley from New Hampshire here,including an email address. As his name is on the tube I'd send him an email, see if he can tell you more.
I could well be wrong but I suspect the rod is American, not Scottish.

Jackthecat121

Post by Jackthecat121 »

Thanks for your input, Lewis.
I bought the rod from Hanley's son after he died, so there is no way to get in touch with Hanley.

Here's what the son told me:

Lewis Chessman
Sport

Post by Lewis Chessman »

Hi, Jackthecat. I wonder if you might recontact the seller and ask if he can tell you at which auction house and the date the rod was bought? They will have their own records and may oblige by looking up the sale for you.

Beyond that, I can only suggest posting a thread of your own here along the lines of 'Which Maker?' and ask a wider audience what they make of it. There are many far more knowledgeable than me here who may not have noticed your pics on this specific thread so casting your net wider may help. Good luck in your search.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”