Pezon et Michel Bamboo Rod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

JimboWV

Pezon et Michel Bamboo Rod

Post by JimboWV »

I recently purchased a Pezon rod at a yard sale and don’t know a thing about it. I think it is one of Pezon’s, Speciale Series rods, finished in 1968. The French words on the rod looks like the following:
. Action Parabolic
. 8 P/2
. 9 cima
. K 0 cmalc
I am not sure I spelled the above accurately.
The rod has RED wrapping with GREEN boarders.
Can anyone tell me what I have, its value and what type of reel and line weight I should get.

perfesser
Guide

Re: Pezon et Michel Bamboo Rod

Post by perfesser »

an older pezon will have the inscription spiraling across the butt like so in thre separate lines

Parabolic
Speciale
Normale

with MADE IN FRANCE running along a flat beneath this inscription

the length is usually on another flat, 8' or 8' 1/2 or 9'

the serial number will run perpendicular to the grip just above the check

a later model pezon will have this information parallel to the grip lengthwise on the rod flats like so

parabolic speciale normale
8' 1/2 2m 61. # 5
Pezon et Michel

MADE IN FRANCE

then a serial number perpendicular to the rod grip running through the hook keeper that matches numbers on the tip section just above the ferrule.

as you observe, speciales are red tipped green. supremes are green, as are PPP's.

older pezons do not always have a line weight listed; most post mid-sixties rods do.

most pezons come with only one tip, but one can find, or could purchase a two tip rod in most grades. does your rod have one tip or two? pictures of the inscriptions are most helpful, because on many pezons letters are reversed and often look like numbers. the 8 P/2 is probably 8 1/2. how long is your rod?

an 8 1/2' long speciale normale is usually a 5 or 6 wt rod. a competition model has more wood and is rated by the french as a 6/7. most americans find these rods stiff at their rated lines.

a pflueger medalist 1494 or 1495 works well on these rods, especially if they have a cork reelseat, as most speciales do. i often use a perfect or other hardy reel on mine.

value in america? in very good condition, $250 to $350. with two tips maybe closer to $450. most americans find these rods heavy in the tip for dry fly fishing. i am a wet fly man, and these rods will lift a lot of line off the water and lay it back out without a need to strip it in or make a bunch of false casts. these rods are excellent when using the belgian cast, and i usually employ this style when wet fly fishing with a pezon.

give us some more information: reelseat, grip, serial number, number of tips and we can help you further.

JimboWV

Post by JimboWV »

Thank you for the quick response. The serial no. is: 2244682
Below are photo’s:

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Great rod, I suspect you got lucky price wise as well. A good all around rod, and like the man says, try it with a #5 or 6 line. It may take you a bit before you're comfortable casting a parabolic rod if you're used to a graphite, but just slow down and you'll be fine.

Ralph

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Sounds like this was a Prima (lower grade) Normale (light action) rod. The same rod in a Competition taper (as compared to Normale) would be roughly 1 line weight heavier.

JimboWV

Post by JimboWV »

Thank you all for your responses. I tried to take some close up photos of the French writing on the 8’7” bamboo rod. See below, if that helps :

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

8 1/2 foot (8 p 1/2 - p = pieds = feet) Prima Normale. If I remember well, that is a 6 weight Parabolic rod. Personally, I'm no fan of the P&M Parabolic rods (in fact I'm not a fan of most of their fly rods - I do like their Luxor and BB spinning rods though).

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”