Re:1947 Orvis "Salmon" Rod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Re:1947 Orvis "Salmon" Rod

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Hello everyone' Thought it would be interesting to post some photos of a very nice example of a Orvis rod from 1947.
The rod is a 9'6", "Salmon" 3/2 with butt extension, original condition bag and labeled tube. Ferrules are 19/64, and 13/64 with 100% of the bluing still on the ferrules. Some of the nicest looking flaming i've seen on any rod. I've tried different lines with it, but, it cast best for me with a standard weight forward floating in a 7wt. Hope you enjoy,
Thomas

Tangiersound
Guide

Re: Re:1947 Orvis "Salmon" Rod

Post by Tangiersound »

Very handsome rod. Thanks for taking time to share with us.

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

You bet
I'm hoping that other people might have some photos of older rods in original condition.
Thomas

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Thomas, that's really clean for 73 years old! Probably not flaming on the rod so much as the old impregnation produced a gorgeous color.

Here's a "Impregnated, Salmon" from 1948 9 1/2' with 20 & 13 ferrules, not nearly as clean as yours but in very good condition. This one was inscribed for "George Keene Chaffee, Rutland VT." GKC was born in 1915 in MA and was VP in Rutland VT passing in 2002. The rod didn't go far from where the Wes Jordan shop produced it. I have not fished it yet but hope to get it out for steelhead in the next 60 days.

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Royce
Very nice salmon rod there. I found that using a standard weight seven line worked best. I tried a couple of short head spey lines, but I found they overloaded the rod. A seven weight forward floating worked best for me.
In the impregnation process was the coloring even or varied? As it sure seems that the rod was flamed.
Maybe someone else with provide additional information
Best,
Thomas

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

Here's my 9'6" Impregnated Orvis Salmon Rod. Serial number 8012. 3/2. 7 oz. Built in 1948 by Robert Albridge. 3/2 7oz. I bought it for steelheading. Casts #8 Scientific Anglers Steelhead Taper well spliced to 15 feet of 7 weight type VI sinking tip. Casts Rio 9 weight with sinking Versitips except for floating tip which overloads rod. The fighting butt was missing when I purchased the rod and Orvis wasn't responsive so I had a replacement made by local rodmaker Mike Monsos.

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Very nice
Thanks' for showing.
Thomas

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”