Hanging with some Grangers

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Hanging with some Grangers

Post by teter »

The snow is still coming down and I'm climbing the walls. I decided to play around with some rod displays

I have wall space to display eight rods at a time. This display manages to show all the Granger grades of the Fifth Era, the Champion, Victory, Special, Aristocrat, Favorite, Deluxe, Premier and Registered, and the most frequently seen models -- 7030, 7633, 8040, 8642, 9050, 9053 and 9660, with a 1062 thrown in. All are shown with Hardy reels.

Goodwin Granger GV9053 and Goodwin Granger GC8642

Wright & McGill Granger GS9050

Wright & McGill Granger GA7030

Goodwin Granger GF7633

Goodwin Granger GD8040

Wright & McGill Granger GP9660 and Goodwin Granger RX1062

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hanging with some Grangers

Post by Flyman615 »

Very nice, Lon.

I usually have 4-5 assembled rods displayed in my "man cave/library", but not as nicely as yours.

Thanks for sharing!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Yes, very nice indeed, but I always thought that you shouldn't store rods assembled and Orvis even warned against it. But in the case of both Lon and Scott, you have plenty to rotate through without worrying about the ferrules sticking. Thanks for sharing.

jacknoir
Sport

Post by jacknoir »

That's a great sight for weary winter eyes!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Thanks, all. Utah, you're right; I rotate the rods on display frequently.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

teter wrote:Thanks, all. Utah, you're right; I rotate the rods on display frequently.
Me too! ;)

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

doloresboy
Master Guide

Post by doloresboy »

Very nice! Especially at this time of year!

Matt

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Wonderful display, Lon!

Thanks for sharing.

Rupert

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

I like it. These rods are for your enjoyment. This is better than having them tucked away in the tubes. Whenever you walk into the room, you see them right away.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

I have to say, I love the title of the thread - very fitting! I was kinda hoping to see the Grangers on the stream... but this was cool too. Made me remember the teepee picture you posted a ways back....

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Perhaps in the same kind of snowed in winter desperation, and while my wife was gone for a week, I put all my four weights on the dining table for five days of ogling, then all my five weights, and soon will come the sixes. So great to see them out and displayed as I never get the full on visuals otherwise. On my wife’s return, she even put up with it and was curious and appreciative of the beauty. And I have a new found appreciation of both what I have acquired, however modest, and the beauty, history and fishing memories of each one. Makes the recent storm and 50 kt. winds drifting over the road to the house more tolerable.

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

Great pictures. As a fellow Granger fan (2 Granger 9050's and 1 Granger 8642) I'd like to hear what you think of each of the rod models and how you fish them. You've got some that I've never cast.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Dave,
The 7030 and 7633 are alway fun to fish. But the 8040s and 8642s (and related Phillipson tapers in those lengths) have accounted for probably 60 percen of my fishing for the last 15 years. Fishing mostly in the East during that period, I used the 8040 a lot; it's just a terrific taper with a smooth, accurate action that handles fish much bigger than you might expect. Out west, I have found the 8642 more useful, fishing it a lot in Colorado and now Oregon. The 8642 is the most versatile Granger model, in my opinion. I have fished them for everything from brook trout to bass, and the extra length and backbone make them perfect for nymphing, streamers and fishing on windy rivers.
The 9050 is for situations when I need to up a notch from the 8642, and is ideal for fishing bigger streamers and sink tips. I have been using the 9053 and the 9660 for steelhead.
I have only fished a 1062 a couple of times and can't really give you a useful description of the taper.

Bamboo revival
Guide

Post by Bamboo revival »

I just got my hands on a Granger Colorado Special 9652 a slow action 5/6 wt I’m really excited to get my hands on it as I really enjoy fishing longer bamboo as long as they are balanced nicely. I’ve casted a lot of 6 to 8 wts in the 9’6” range but this taper is intriguing seems more like a 5wt.

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

Tetter I have to agree with you about the longer rods being better out west.

I fish western Washington high lakes, big rivers and the salt water for coastal cutthroat. The 8642 is versatile. On a recent Montana trip I used the 8642 to sight fish small pheasant tail nymphs to big rainbows in a spring pond and swing wets on the Clark Fork.

The 9050 is great for sinking line or sink tip work from a float tube. The extra length keeps my cast off the water when I'm sitting low. I've got a champion and a victory. My only complaint against the champion is that the sliding band is apt to slip off at inopportune times.

I've got a 9' 5 5/8 oz phillipson which I use for coastal cutthroat on windy days the salt. This cutthroat was landed casting into 15 mile an hour winds. I suppose a Granger 9053 would be good for this as well.

Bugtussel
Guide

Post by Bugtussel »

Bamboo revival wrote:I just got my hands on a Granger Colorado Special 9652 a slow action 5/6 wt I’m really excited to get my hands on it as I really enjoy fishing longer bamboo as long as they are balanced nicely. I’ve casted a lot of 6 to 8 wts in the 9’6” range but this taper is intriguing seems more like a 5wt.

Wondered who beat me to it. Nice rod. Enjoy. Post or pm when you cast and fish it. Curious to see how you like it.
Thanks.
Jim

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”