What hath Chubb wrought?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What hath Chubb wrought?

Post by jeffkn1 »

And then compare this unmarked rod of mine with Joel's Standard

I also want to add that this seat configuration, allowing reel orientation either downlocking or uplocking, is one I have seen only in three areas:
in Bangor by P&P, in Upstate NY by Buckingham (I think it was), and in Farmington by Charles Wheeler. It doesn't seem to have been patented.
Last edited by jeffkn1 on 02/11/20 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

cwfly wrote:Very noteworthy. No seams, no solder before Thos. Chubb's patent.
I agree. It has sent me chasing around to see if there was a patent for the application of seamless tubing in the making of reel seats. I'm still looking. The claims in Chubb's patent are built on the use of a seamless tube in which modifications have been made in a unique fashion, then an "end" (cap) made to mate with the tube, and a sliding band to fasten the reel in place along with the rails.
I never took note of seamless on a Malleson or CB&M before. Maybe Mr. Gnome can check for that. I know he was to photo those yesterday.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

C,B&M circa 1875-81 has a mortised 12 strip butt with the wood exposed with a nickel reel footplate mortised into the 12 strip butt all hardware seamed and soldered

Frederick Malleson circa 1882-1900 rod has a drawn tube seat and it also has the rest of the components drawn and not seamed

the two C&B's in the display has drawn seats and seamed and soldered ferrules circa 1881-1882

more Mudd for the pie;-)

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

roycestearns wrote:Jeff, thanks for sharing those. The Jerry Girard article in (2003) Art of Angling Journal vol 2 issue 2 is a fantastic pictorial collection of the Chubb enterprise.
I picked up a copy of this and wow, what a great article. Full of pictures, great history, and very well written.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”