Re: Signature Wraps

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Hello everyone
I''d like folks to post photos of the signature wraps of different makers that you think stand out.
First, top to bottom.
1933-36 Heddon #17 Black Beauty, 9' 3/2 2 1/2 ferrule. Wraps are original to the rod.
Second, 1933-36 Heddon #35 "Deluxe", 9' 3/2 2 1/2 ferrule. Wraps are original to the rod.
Third rod is, 1922 F.E. Thomas "Dirigo" 8' 3/2, ferrules 15/64, and 10/64. Wraps are original to the rod. This Thomas also has 97 intermediates.
Last is a late pre-fire Leonard, #50 DF 8' 3/2 again with 15/64, and 10/64 ferrules. Wraps are original to rod.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Re: Signature Wraps

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

You might consider adding you photos to the lengthy "show us your signature wraps" thread.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Re: Re: Signature Wraps

Post by Woodlakejag »

Here are some good ones
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=117893
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

I really like the signature wraps. Does anyone know when they were first used and why? They are not functional. Is there any significance in the patterns of a particular makers?

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

Here are some FE Thomas; 1915 8 1/2' Dirigo, 1919 7'9" Special and a 1930 8 1/2' Special. -TomVT

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

crowebeetle wrote:I really like the signature wraps. Does anyone know when they were first used and why? They are not functional. Is there any significance in the patterns of a particular makers?
I will throw my two cents in on this. And when I say two cents, I mean my opinion based on what I’ve seen, but I could definitely be wrong. Maybe more like one cent.

I think Eustis Edwards was a gifted designer (architect, even) and was the originator of the descending bands on Kosmic rods. He carried this style with him as a “signature” on most of his rods, up until he started the black Bakelite checks. The descending bands were sometimes split in groups, but always descending down the shaft towards the tip (a band of four, then three, then two). No one else did this and I suspect that Edwards enforced it, either through trade dress or just custom courtesy. Thomas and Reuben Leonard have various patterns of bands, but none descending, and I get the feeling when looking at Thomas’ wraps that he was frustrated that he couldn’t do anything as esthetically pleasing as the Edwards style. He was almost trying too hard to overcompensate with his various intricate bands of patterns.
George
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Thanks for the Edwards information. Always esoteric history here.

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Alright
Getting some good info now.
I'll have to check my copy of Kean's work as I think there is a photo of the rod Leonard built for his wife. Sorry, can't remember her name.
It's wrapped very ornately, with red, green and black silks.
I forgot that I've a 9' Browntone Thomas rod with the traditional 3/7/3 signature wrap, with very narrow bands.
Thank you for the information regarding Edward'sand Leonard.
Thomas

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”