Eye Candy

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

red 1
Master Guide

Eye Candy

Post by red 1 »

Full intermediaries, Signature wraps, Small grip, Great cane work. Yep I may need a sick day to have some fun on the River.

I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Re: Eye Candy

Post by Oxbow »

Indeed a very nice looking rod. Can you provide some details?

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

8' 4wt. Edwards influenced taper. The rod has a dry and wet fly tip. Full flexing rod. Built for me by Housatonic Rods. Reel seat is a piece of wood from my dad's shop I held onto when he passed in the mid 90's. I knew I would it/them have incorporated into a fly rod(s) so I could fish with him again. Held on to that piece of wood a long time as a tactile reminder of his and my grandfather's shop. Those pieces of wood still bring me back to early childhood memories whenever I see them.
Have not cast the rod yet. Picked it up yesterday. I am waiting for better weather to spend some time with the rod trying various silk and plastic lines to see how the two tips respond.
It is a Very nice rod. I am sure my dad would dig it too.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Rob--

The moment I saw the first picture, I said; "Edwards? No, with the color of the cane, I'll bet it's a Streamer-built Edwards." Beautiful! And, the reel seat from your Dad's workshop is a wonderful touch.

Thanks for sharing,

Rupert

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Thanks Rupert. Offer to show you may favorite spots on the Farmington still stands if you ever have a chance.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Rob--

I guarantee that I will take you up on your offer! I have way too many conflicts in the next month or so, but -- sooner or later -- I definitely will make it a point to visit your neighborhood.

Thanks,

Rupert

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Hey Red 1! A very nice gesture with the wood in the reel seat to fish again with your father. I still have the old Granger that my Dad left me. I take it to fish on occasion and to remember him, and cherish the times I spent with him on the streams!

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Duckman
Those memories last a lifetime.

kilgore
Master Guide

Post by kilgore »

What is the reel and will you use it when you fish? I bought a Featherweight 260 for my 8' 4wt FET Dirigo. Have not used it yet. Can't get much Cortland Sylk on the reel.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Kilgore,
I am unsure which reel I will use. The weather, my work and honey do list has not offered much time to cast the rod. Ideally I will use a Hardy Brougle with a 4 wt Phoenix DT line, or the reel behind the rod in the photos that has a slightly lighter feeling 4 wt silk line. I may pick up a 3wt silk line if when casting the other two lines there feels like there may be some improvement in the rod with a lighter line. Shoot because I fish a lot of small pocket water a may even like it with a 5 wt.
really looking forward to a bluebird day I can grab a handful of reels and the rod and go out into the back yard and mess around. The tips are so very fine ..

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”