Sometimes, even I get lucky...

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Sometimes, even I get lucky...

Post by Shrimpman »

Yesterday, I received a 9' rod that I had purchased for what I considered a good price. It's a Wright & McGill Granger Aristocrat with original tube and sock, and one short tip. When I opened the cardboard shipping tube, I saw that something was amiss with the Granger tube- it was too darned short! Yup, the seller had not assembled the rod and the supposed 9' rod is an 8642. :D
I already have a fine Goodwin Granger Champion in that length, though the tapers are a bit different, so one will likely have to move on. In the meantime, I will enjoy looking at my purdy 8642 Aristocrat...

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Sometimes, even I get lucky...

Post by Webfly »

That thing looks mint! I know, we don't like to use that word around here....BUT it does!

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Somebody definitely took care of it, but it was used, as evidenced by the dirty grip that I cleaned. Too bad one tip is down three inches!

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

I love it when a rod is not worse than expected! Nice surprise too. I once purchased a trashed 8' Heddon (2/1) trade rod that turned out to be a 7'6" rod.

Maybe 15 years ago I bought a 9' W&M Aristocrat that had more or less never been taken out of its tube since new. The seller said that his father got it as a gift and wasn't a fly fisherman. The tube didn't even have a scratch on it until our last move across country when the moving company was too casual with packing it. :-\
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Well, I thought I had lucked upon a bargain 8642... until I fished it for a couple of hours today. What a delight! The 8642s feel so light in hand when being fished.
So, now I'm going to have to work on getting the short tip scarfed or finding a replacement Granger tip. No more cheap rod! :D
If it gets scarfed, it could at least be hidden under the wraps of the last snake, whcih were removed when the tip-top was reinstalled:

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”