Who is your favorite underrated CLASSIC rod maker?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Who is your favorite underrated CLASSIC rod maker?

Post by Loogie »

Another vote for Jim Becker, He makes a superb fishing rod and his fit and finish is simply elegant and precise!

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Since the original post has morphed from underrated classic to under appreciated modern, here's one I don't believe has been mentioned and very well ought to be...

Al Medved

jz2
Master Guide

Post by jz2 »

In the Powell universe, Max Yerxa, and of course Tony Maslan. Both excellent rod makers in the Powell tradition. I had a Yerxa that I should never have sold. Will not make the same mistake with the Maslan I have.

wshallman64

Post by wshallman64 »

I am very late in posting to this topic, but I just stumbled on it while sitting out back by a camp fire and thought I would add my 2 cents. Roger Hammock. He is out of Utah. Bought a beautiful 7 1/2' 5 wt of his from Jim Bresko. Jim owns and fishes one of his rods as well. I have found no mention of him anywhere on the forum. Beautiful and slightly understated rod. Performs every bit as well as it looks with a 444 Peach DT5. This rod holds up well to scrutiny of all aspects of its construction. If you ever get a chance to check one out and cast it, I recommend you do so.

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Minert Hull
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Not sure if mentioned previously but having recently acquired a Sewell Dunton 193 Custom, I've become an instant fan. The rod is an 8 1/2'- 2/2 6 weight. Very powerful but light in hand and delicate enough given the swelled butt that I believe is somewhat rare to see on Dunton rods?
My only critique is that the grip is a smaller diameter than I'd like but I imagine fitted to the person it was built for.

archt
Sport

Post by archt »

I, too, am late to the party, but I also need to emphasize the outstanding quality of Bill Oyster's fly rods. I have four built in his classes, and my wife built her first one, a 7"-6" in her first and last class. It was nicer than mine. His engraving is beautiful, but the quality of the class and the finished rods is impressive. I once asked if anyone had failed to make a finished , fishable rod, and he said, "No."

I also am in love with Bob Summers' rods. He may count as a "classic", but I bought my first rod, a 735, on his advice in 1980 and the second, an 856, a few years later. This year I was fortunate enough to buy a Midge from him, so really I do not need all the other rods.

There are many fine makers, and I appreciate them all.

Archt

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

sodbank wrote:
03/10/20 05:12
Art Wieler gets my vote.
Weiler gets my vote as well.
MIke B

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Tufts and Batson
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

KC. Crocker of Farmington, Maine. Made excellent under the radar rods.

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Alan Kube

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

I have to mention one of my favorites. Dan Brenan. He not only made beautiful rods, he had a sense of history and was connected to many rodbuilders of his time. And further, he was a character.
And add Crompton to the list.

Willis

dharleyd

Post by dharleyd »

I like Wisconsin maker D G Schroeder. His 7’ and 7’9” are great casting rods.
Have caught many fish in the Driftless streams with them.

dixiesdad
Sport

Post by dixiesdad »

I recently went to the 2024 Denver fly fishing show and saw some rods from Andy Rubey. They are very well built rods and he takes tapers and tweaks them to make them his own. I hope to purchase one someday soon. He has one for sale at my local bamboo rod builder, in Lyons Co, or he does have a nice website. www.rubeyrods.com I also would second and third Chris Carlin. I purchased a 7 ft 4wt rod and just fished it here in Colorado where the ice had melted with a size 22 midge and realized why bamboo is so perfect for those conditions.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Too bad Scott isn’t around to continue the discussion.

Personally I don’t think Walton Powell is underrated. He is highly regarded. But I see where Scott is coming from.

To me by far the best fly rods across the board from the classic era are Heddon. The fact you can pick up a good longer rod in decent condition for $300-400 is incredible. The short rods are getting expensive but they are worth it. I think they are hugely underrated rods. Fantastic rods and total “lookers” especially the higher grades. Yeah they are a company not an individual but I’d argue it still counts.

John

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

I just bought my second rod by Jon Parker, a 7'9" 5wt. and think the rods Jon made are equal to the best.
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

Don Bebereia

Post by Don Bebereia »

Douglas Duck. Passed away way too soon. Was a joy to talk to and made great rods. My favorite was his Garrison 209. A 5 weight, I believe 7'9" that was a terrific rod to cast an admire. I sold mine in a moment of weakness and have kicked myself since.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I would like to second the vote for Al Medved. I've met the man and cast his rods. He's a makers maker and someday will be highly collectible.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

BigTJ wrote:
01/31/24 23:21
Too bad Scott isn’t around to continue the discussion.

Personally I don’t think Walton Powell is underrated. He is highly regarded. But I see where Scott is coming from.

To me by far the best fly rods across the board from the classic era are Heddon. The fact you can pick up a good longer rod in decent condition for $300-400 is incredible. The short rods are getting expensive but they are worth it. I think they are hugely underrated rods. Fantastic rods and total “lookers” especially the higher grades. Yeah they are a company not an individual but I’d argue it still counts.

John
Shhhhh. Yes, they are underrated, and underpriced, and I like it that way.

canogacreek
Guide

Post by canogacreek »

I'm also late to this post but I would like to give a tip of my hat to all the workers at Heddon who made so many great rods, from the blue collar rods right up to the ones that rank right up with the best. I include all the women who, I believe, wrote on the rods and did the windings. The rod with the fighting heart.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel but my memory".
Aldo Leopold

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”