Who is your favorite underrated CLASSIC rod maker?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Who is your favorite underrated classic rod maker?

Post by 16pmd »

Cris Carpenter makes long lightline hollowbuilt rods in the same style as some of the big name makers but a much lower price. They are outstanding casters, beautifully made and understated in appearance. Being from the Kansas City area, he's not in one of the hotbeds of bamboo but his rods deserve much more attention than they've received so far. He's expanding his line to quads and three piece models. His 8'3" 3 wt. is amazingly capable and suitable for both eastern and larger western streams.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

16pmd wrote:Cris Carpenter makes long lightline hollowbuilt rods... He's expanding his line to quads and three piece models. His 8'3" 3 wt. is amazingly capable and suitable for both eastern and larger western streams.
Geez how I wish I'd never read this.... :lol Thanks 16pmd. ;)

Two notables come to mind for me, Rob Hoffhines and Chris Carlin.

I have rods from each and both are exemplary rods in ... every sense of the word. And both have bent over backwards to help me out with a particular build!!!

There are others I'm sure but these two jumped to the front as I read the intro.

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

Hawes for sure
Sedgwick
Divine

Absolutely Ted Simroe. No idea why he does not get the recognition he deserves.
AJ Thramer for the most exact reproduction of classic tapers and his rodmaking as such.

Pezon & Michel for quality, innovation and the time they have been in existence.

Ralph (czkid) would add Fruchting for sure

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

+1 for Cris Carpenter and Chris Carlin as both are making excellent hollow built rods.

Morten

Post by Morten »

Ted Simroe, and the Swede Carl Anderberg.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Last edited by PYochim on 05/06/21 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Joe Balestrieri, Redwing Rods. I have a 9' 2" 2 pc. impregnated 8 wt. "Steelhead/Salt" taper by him. Fished it yesterday in rain and high winds catching redfish up to 38" and it performed beautifully as it did for Belize Bonefish last August. I am waiting to receive a 7' 9" 2 pc. 4/5 wt. parabolic rod I intend to fish a lot with with soft hackles/wets on the small to medium streams I enjoy. The rod is finished and I've seen pictures, it is a beauty. Joe listens and works with you to produce a rod suited to your particular wants.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Vaughanwilson3022 wrote:+1 for Cris Carpenter and Chris Carlin as both are making excellent hollow built rods.
Since the discussion now includes contemporary makers, I would agree with the mention of Carpenter and Carlin. Two of the best "young guns".
Three by Cris Carpenter--8'2" 2/2 HB 3/4 wt.; 8'0" 2/1, 4/5 wt.; 7'3" 2/1, 3 wt.
A 7'9" 2/2 semi-hollow built on the PHY Para 14 taper by Chris Carlin.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

+1 for Cris Carpenter. I have several of his rods and they are very nice.

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

I would like to add a few Brit makers here for the record
John Brough from Leicester, absolute perfection at an incredible price .
Johns rods were made on a modified miller that he purchased from another well known maker ,Marcus Warwick.
Another Brit worth the mention would be Trevor Smith from Halifax from the days of when he traded as Upstream Tackle , all hand planed and well worth buying if you can ever find them .

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Maybe not my absolute favorite, but the query makes me think of Dominic Croce. I have one rod of his that is not only finished superbly, but it has a most complex action and feel -- make for a perfect 7'3" for a 4.

Ed Fody has already been mentioned. Whether flamed or blond, his rods shine.
Bob Lancaster I consider overlooked, rather than underrated.
Most of the Jon Parker rods I have bought, I have kept -- and use them frequently.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

creakycane wrote:Bob Lancaster I consider overlooked, rather than underrated.
I agree, creaky. And "overlooked" is another good criteria too for this thread!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Another fine rodmaker is Darryl Whitehead. Many don't look past the engraved ferrules, ivory reel seats and other ornamentation but the rods of his are fine fishing and casting tools. My wife uses her Whitehead Presentation quite a bit. It is a stud of a rod.

maruoff
Master Guide

Re: Who is your favorite underrated CLASSIC rod maker?

Post by maruoff »

Well, we would certainly have to add Edward Barder from the UK. Very pricy but also in the absolute top spot reg. workmanship, experience, overall looks and quality.

As if Marc Aroner and T & T would go completely under the radar. Quite unusual that such work does not get more recognition.

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Hal Bacon.

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Since classic makers were requested, I'm going to have to say Fred Divine. Munsey and Kentucky Jim among current makers.

Althehackleman
Guide

Post by Althehackleman »

Not quite sure about the “classic” title but I sure love fishing rods made by the following makers,
Jim Downes
Lou Parks
AJ Thramer
Duane MacKenzie
Maybe I have too many options.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

OK, for sake of this ongoing discussion, let's say "CLASSIC" rod maker is defined as making the majority of their bamboo rods before 1970.

Scott :)
Flyman615

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Flyman615 wrote:OK, for sake of this ongoing discussion, let's say "CLASSIC" rod maker is defined as making the majority of their bamboo rods before 1970.

Make is 1980 or so so we can still include Walton Powell! Hard to say but I’m guessing Walt built more cane rods after 1970 than before. I don’t know for sure.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

RMorrison wrote:
Flyman615 wrote:OK, for sake of this ongoing discussion, let's say "CLASSIC" rod maker is defined as making the majority of their bamboo rods before 1970.

Make is 1980 or so so we can still include Walton Powell! Hard to say but I’m guessing Walt built more cane rods after 1970 than before. I don’t know for sure.
OK, Pal...I was guessing he made more before 1970. I don't know for sure either! :o

Scott
Flyman615

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”