Who is your favorite underrated CLASSIC rod maker?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Who is your favorite underrated CLASSIC rod maker?

Post by RMorrison »

Flyman615 wrote:
RMorrison wrote:
Flyman615 wrote:OK, for sake of this ongoing discussion, let's say "CLASSIC" rod maker is defined as making the majority of their bamboo rods before 1970.

Scott :)
Make is 1980 or so so we can still include Walton Powell! Hard to say but I’m guessing Walt built more cane rods after 1970 than before. I don’t know for sure.
OK, Pal...I was guessing he made more before 1970. I don't know for sure either! :o

Scott
Ha! Just having some fun with you bud. I’ll do some research and see if I can determine at any level what his production looked like by decade. I doubt it though.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, At the moment it's Malleson.

Jay Edwards

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Oh and we should include Jim Beasley of Crossville, TN who made so many wonderful rods of many different tapers.

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

I have all of Chris Carlin’s geometrical variations. His rods have impeccable cosmetics and the tapers are excellent and innovative. He also makes a great hollow built rod.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Flyman, I fished with Walton Powell and owned one of his rods (so did Gary Howells.) For sure, a builder/ fisher like few others!
As for under rated builders I submit Gary Soffeker and Ed Hartzell. Gary built for Dave McNeese and Ed was about the best builder/restorationist that I ever knew. Ed was from Portland, Oregon and well known by author Joe Beelart and others.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Amen on Jim Beasley, I followed his career for years and bought one of his rods just before he quit. Nice rod, really nice guy.

Ralph

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

This questions seems to have two paths; recently deceased or no longer producing makers AND makers in general.

To the first, I agree with the Jim Beasley fans, but more importantly Gus Nevros. The guy was a rod designer and a perfectionist as a maker. It is only because of the literary fates he is not sitting amongst the greats. Every time I see or pick up one of his rods I marvel at the level of quality he held his work to, that level extended equally to their performance.

To the second, I will never understand how someone who has contributed so much to this craft, in keeping it alive so many years ago, teaching build classes and gathering the info to disseminate through The Planing Form to share with us all constantly gets passed over in these exercises. He builds damn good rods, met to fish, at a reasonable price. I tip my hat to Ron Barch, perhaps the Rodney Dangerfield of this craft.

I mention the above, anyone with knowledge knows this list can not just hold one name. Many of them contained in this thread.

Best,

Carl

MtBrittany
Master Guide

Post by MtBrittany »

Ted Simroe

I like his work.
Last edited by MtBrittany on 02/29/20 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

Per Brandin. If you haven't heard of him yet, you will someday.

singlebuilt
Guide

Post by singlebuilt »

Gene Novak.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

The late Tom Ciemiega made classic unembellished rods that grabbed your attention when you cast them. They are wonderful cane wands that will improve any anglers presentations. He was a fine caster and his tapers reflected his expertise in designing a high performance cane rod.

Tim Zietak is another crafter of fine cane rods that are a delight to cast and fish.

Ted Knott is regarded as one of Canada’s premier cane rod makers and has one of his “Ontario Classic” rods displayed in the Canadian Heritage Museum. The Ted Knott Chapter of Trout Unlimited honoured his legacy as a craftsman and conservationist by adopting his name after his death.Ted was well known to anglers in Michigan where his rod making was influenced by Paul Young, Bob Summers, and Tom Ciemiega.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Please add another hearty vote for Dennis Menscer. Wonderful rods! I have three to cover the varying streams: 6' 8" No. 3; 7'6" No. 4 and 8' No.5 hollowbuilt. A fine craftsman and gentleman.

...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

Jim Schaaf, John Weir, & Walton Powell
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Caneghost wrote:Please add another hearty vote for Dennis Menscer. Wonderful rods! I have three to cover the varying streams: 6' 8" No. 3; 7'6" No. 4 and 8' No.5 hollowbuilt. A fine craftsman and gentleman.

[/co

+1 Hope to own one of his rods one day
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Classic - CF Orvis/H. Eggleston, Wes Jordan
Modern Classic - AJ Thramer

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Does Jim Reams count as a modern classic? Or is he too young?
If you say too young, that’ll make him happy!

Rusty Rat

Post by Rusty Rat »

Maybe too young, but I vote for Don Schroeder.
Wonderful rods!!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

J
Last edited by PYochim on 05/06/21 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Modern builder would be Art Weiler . Classic builders would be a tossup between the Leonard builders pre fire , Fred or Leon Thomas , and the Edwards built rods . I have more Leonard's than anything else and fish them most but am fishing Art's version of Garrisons 212 and an old sporting goods store marked Edwards rod more every year .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

golffish
Guide

Post by golffish »

I've owned rods from several of the makers already mentioned in the thread and they are all excellent. My vote for an underrated modern classic builder is Bill Oyster in Blue Ridge, GA. I've seldom seen his rods mentioned on forums or his rods come available on the secondary market.

Maybe best known these days for his engraving and week long onsite rod building classes, his rods are exceptional IMO. I have his 7'9" 3/2 5wt built when he was a one man shop. Exceptional in build quality, finish and fishability for the local waters I fish. His engraving is also pure art.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”