Who is your favorite underrated CLASSIC rod maker?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

carl otto
Master Guide

Re: Who is your favorite underrated CLASSIC rod maker?

Post by carl otto »

The operative word in the original thread start was, "underrated" and "classic". So I would take that to mean a person who built rods using the classic tapers derived from earlier builders or derivatives thereof, AND some one who has toiled without published recognition or notoriety through other means (in regards to rod building that is). There was no qualifier as to their current physical presence on this earth.

Many good names came up that fit that ticket along with many good builders I would not classify as underrated.

Perhaps this thread has been exhausted?

Carl

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Well, Carl, as the OP for this thread my intention was to have an ongoing discussion containing thoughts and personal opinions from individuals on this Forum.

At first I was most interested in 'Classic' or deceased rod builders who MAY be somewhat overlooked and/or underrated. However, this basis has also morphed into a similar discussion of contemporary rod makers, which is fine with me.

And perhaps--just perhaps--some consensus has been reached on a few rod builders who have been mentioned by multiple thread participants. In any case, I don't think it's up to either you, or me for that matter, to determine if the thread has been "exhausted".

I'll bet there are still lots of forum members who are yet to chime in. Bring 'em on!

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 03/06/20 20:27, edited 2 times in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

pgwulf wrote:Jim Schaaf, John Weir, & Walton Powell
Almost forgot, Ralph Moon
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

kingstu
Guide

Post by kingstu »

Mark Canfield Idaho!

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Modern Classic - AJ Thramer
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Mayfly1
Sport

Post by Mayfly1 »

George Halstead
Formerly known on this site as BluDun55

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Still enjoy Streamer’s aka Housatonic Rods- rods. Own a few of his Edwards rods. Smile every time I fish them.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I vote for the late Ralph Moon! I made my first bamboo rod under his tutelage! He showed me inexpensive ways do things that I know other guys spend a ton of money doing. He came down from Idaho one summer to Orange County California, and 9 of my friends and I built a bamboo blank over the weekend. 7' 4 weight when I started the blank and I ended up at 6'9" for 4 weight.

Also, if I could have picked my own Grandfather, I'd have picked Ralph, and Pat Moon for Grandmother! I miss them both, especially when Ralph invited me to fish the Henry's Fork in his backyard if I ever came to Idaho, but I forget if he was in St. Anthony, or Chester, and they were little towns about a mile apart, about halfway to West Yellowstone from Idaho Falls.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Art Wieler gets my vote.

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

Not mentioned yet, but I've always been a fan of Jon Parkers rods.
tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

For where I do most of my fishing, Robert Gorman!

One of the great personal tragedies caused by Hurricane Irene was that it wiped out his shop in Brattleboro Vermont and effectively ended his business.

slate river
Master Guide

Post by slate river »

Peter Carboni,
MJ Dougherty&
Steve Marcino
"God made dogs to steal our hearts and they do."

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

DUCKMANNM wrote:I vote for the late Ralph Moon! I made my first bamboo rod under his tutelage! He showed me inexpensive ways do things that I know other guys spend a ton of money doing. He came down from Idaho one summer to Orange County California, and 9 of my friends and I built a bamboo blank over the weekend. 7' 4 weight when I started the blank and I ended up at 6'9" for 4 weight.

Also, if I could have picked my own Grandfather, I'd have picked Ralph, and Pat Moon for Grandmother! I miss them both, especially when Ralph invited me to fish the Henry's Fork in his backyard if I ever came to Idaho, but I forget if he was in St. Anthony, or Chester, and they were little towns about a mile apart, about halfway to West Yellowstone from Idaho Falls.
Ralph was such a nice gentleman. I always looked forward to seeing him and Pat at the East Idaho Fly Expo. In his last years, Pat would wheel Ralph in his wheel chair from booth to booth so that he could say hello to everybody. He died in 2011. He lived near Chester.

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

Joe Bradley

kconway
Guide

Post by kconway »

+1 for Joe Bradley.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Harry Boyd definitely needs to be mentioned here. He makes a top-shelf rod and has been a guiding light for many of the newer rodmakers.

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

At this point of the thread, shall we say pretty much anyone who has made a bamboo rod, past or present?

-Dwight

kconway
Guide

Post by kconway »

Ron Barch

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

Harry Boyd well deserves mention for his lovely rods and contributions to the craft. Gordon Roller of Cassville, Mo., is an up and coming rod maker who has done beautiful work for me and is making some incredible light line rods that as well designed and made as anything I have ever seen.

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

For those who responded or will respond, in the spirit of the thread, could you indicate why you include the person as a “classic” maker and why you consider the maker as underrated?

-Dwight

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”