Who is your favorite underrated CLASSIC rod maker?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Who is your favorite underrated CLASSIC rod maker?

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I am basing this purely upon looks and finish as I need to reset two ferrules before casting or fishing, but the late Ron Bennett, although considered an amateur, made at least one fine rod!

Cheers,
Joe

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

I'll submit Jim Becker of Pawlet Vermont. He worked in the Orvis rod shop (for~15 years) before going out on his own in 1998. He makes beautifully
understated rods that fish as well as they cast. The actions are typically crisp, smooth and progressive. But don't take my word, Carmine Lisella thinks highly of Jim's design sense and craftsmanship.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

Wes Jordan's contributions to rod building are rarely mentioned.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I have two that come to mind. Jon Parker & Larry Donahe. Sadly Jon no longer is making rods. Larry is still working on a part time basis.

Cork & Cane
Guide

Post by Cork & Cane »

These Michigan makers rarely see much ink........ They are deserving attention.

Mark Fitch...... No longer making rods. 500+ to his exacting credit. PHY, Dickerson, FET, Payne.
Mark McKillop..... Payne, Dickerson, PHY.
Duane McKenzie....PHY, Dickerson, Heddon.

And of course Ron Barch for his rods, knowledge, accomplishments and contributions to the rod making community.

BigDog57
Sport

Re: Who is your favorite underrated classic rod maker?

Post by BigDog57 »

Hsimmons wrote:
02/17/20 17:42
Bill Phillipson, who's rods always seem to be overshadowed by Granger's even though he designed some of Granger's tapers and then perfected them with his own rod company.

AMEN!!
He not only designed some of Granger's best tapers, he ran the Granger shop for the time period when most of what we think of as Granger rods were built.
His 8 1/2 foot 5 weight (not the Dry Fly Special) is just a superb casting AND fishing taper.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Hellmtflies wrote:
05/04/21 11:41
I have two that come to mind. Jon Parker & Larry Donahe. Sadly Jon no longer is making rods. Larry is still working on a part time basis.
I concur with your opinion of Jon Parker.I'm not sure It's fair to call him underrated but his name doesn't come up that often. When I was first sticking my toes intot he world of bamboo I recall reading where Joe Garman (whose standing in this community I did not yet know of) said something to the effect that Jon made as good a rod as anyone around. That and a personal recommendation from a friend led me to order a rod (8' 3/2 5wt) from Jon.
I now realize it was one of the last rods he made before moving back to NYS. Regardless of that, it is just a wonderful rod both delicate and powerful and pretty to look at.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

DireWolf53 wrote:
05/04/21 14:47
Hellmtflies wrote:
05/04/21 11:41
I concur with your opinion of Jon Parker.I'm not sure It's fair to call him underrated but his name doesn't come up that often. When I was first sticking my toes intot he world of bamboo I recall reading where Joe Garman (whose standing in this community I did not yet know of) said something to the effect that Jon made as good a rod as anyone around. That and a personal recommendation from a friend led me to order a rod (8' 3/2 5wt) from Jon.
I now realize it was one of the last rods he made before moving back to NYS. Regardless of that, it is just a wonderful rod both delicate and powerful and pretty to look at.
Jon was pretty talked-up when he appeared at shows NY area, pre WY. I am a big fan; I fished the twin of the one for sale by Selb yesterday ( Sequential S/N’s), and those 795s can do most anything troutwise one can imagine. He is also a heck of a nice guy, went out of his way to send me a book/catalogs relevant to one of his rods I own.

CTSparky

Post by CTSparky »

Another vote for Dennis Menscer

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

PJ Julius. This gentleman was a student of Paul H. Young tapers and everyone I've spoken to that knew of him spoke very highly of his rods...you can include me in that company since he built me his last two rods. This thread from several years ago summed it up:

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=64487

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Are these guys really underrated or do they just maintain a low profile?

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

PYochim wrote:
05/05/21 08:19
Are these guys really underrated or do they just maintain a low profile?
That’s a very valid question. There seems to be a surprising (to me) number of great makers that are low key in regards to marketing and lore, that are booked out for two to three years in orders. They are not actively promoting, just head down to the bench, making.
But I guess that’s what this thread is investigating....

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Actually and FWIW, I started this thread to determine thoughts on underrated CLASSIC rod makers of the so-called "Golden Age" of bamboo rod building (c.1920s-1960s).

Since then, however, it has morphed into primarily such thoughts on contemporary or recent makers.
That's fine, but my original question still stands. ;)

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 05/13/21 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Thanks for explaining. So, the Golden Age is 20’s to 60’s

What do we call the 60’s (Baby Boomers) to current era (millennials).
“The Boo-lenials “ ? 😀

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

I believe he has not yet been mentioned.

George Varney

Imageprntscr

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Here's a classic. Al Talbot.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Tim Abbott, the most innovative Rod Maker in America. An unbelievably talented craftsman!

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Mark Ruhe, who was on the scene for a short period, made nice rods, particularly the 71/2 ft Premiere, which was a 4/5 weight. It was a very special taper.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Since this thread is back there are two builders whose rods seldom hit the used market but are beautiful work. I have to mention Alan Kube for classic rod designs. Quality, finish and performance not matched by lesser builders.

Also a personal favorite Jeff Hatton though his rods arguably are not classic but rather avant garde in leaving the "classic" school of thinking. His rods do inspire many discussions of classic versus modern thinking on cane creations.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Waltton Powell, his rods are great fishing sticks but not beauty queens.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”