phillipson fly rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

yosemitegreg

phillipson fly rods

Post by yosemitegreg »

I have a Phillipson Paramount fly (unused) with sock and tube. The only thing written on the rod is Phillipson Paramount......no numbers etc. Is this correct? It is 9' 5 5/8 0z

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: phillipson fly rods

Post by teter »

Some Phillipson rods I have seen had nothing written except the model, but not many. How can you be sure it's unused?

finecane
Sport

Post by finecane »

Does your Paramount have a brown plastic reel seat? If so, it is likely part of the very first rods produced in 1947. These early 1947 Phillipson rods were only marked with the grade name.

Here's one such example in the Premium grade:
https://www.finecane.com/product/philli ... um-8041-2/

If the reel seat is all aluminum, then it may have been restored and the other marking not saved.

Pictures would definitely help if you can post them.

https://www.finecane.com

Hsimmons
Guide

Post by Hsimmons »

I have three early Pacemakers with the black plastic reel seat. They all came to me in unrestored condition and none of them have any writing on them other than the make and model (Phillipson Pacemaker) in the usual inked script. Actually, all three do have a small two digit number (one is a letter followed by a single digit number) inked on the flat opposing the written name, just above the grip wrap. I understand this to indicate the final inspector of the completed rod prior to varnishing and/or the employee who wrapped the rod.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I have a Phillipson butt section with the orange metal insert and black downlocking hardware. It has a 13/64 ferrule ID and I think it's a two piece, judging from its length. I can't find anything written on it but it has those gold/black wraps and the Phillipson reel seat. I would estimate the butt section length as somewhere close to 4 feet. (I'm not at home for the day.) I don't have a tip; if anyone has a broken butt I would like to find a tip, or if anyone has a broken tip I'd like a matching male ferrule so I can make my own tip.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”