How do YOU know when to let a rod go?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Mike N
Master Guide

Re: How do YOU know when to let a rod go?

Post by Mike N »

I once sold a few classic shotguns to a dealer and had such sellers remorse that on the drive home I called the gun shop and asked to buy them all back at a 10% premium. Alas, the dealer had already called other customers and sold them. If you recall that scene from Deliverance where Jon Voight wakes up abruptly in a cold sweat, well...

My real collecting passion is handmade Kentucky reels. At one time I owned eight No.1’s (See, Spring 1992, The American Fly Fisher). Then one day they no longer inspired the same passion and, yes, possessiveness they once had. So, I sold almost all of them at Lang’s and moved on to other reels. Since it would be nearly impossible to replicate that collection today, I do on occasion question that move, but the test for me still is: when I look at the collectible, does it still cause a small stir in the collector and fisherman part of my soul?

Mike N
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

I’ve always had to save-up for my rods. So a fair amount of noodling goes into every purchase. Consequently, once I have them, I’m terrible at letting them go. As such, I’ve only let 2 go. I don’t miss either. I bought both because the tapers were so much different than those that I had. And I didn’t want to let them go for the same reason. Plus the models (and the makers) were well respected and collectable. But the fact is, I didn’t like them - they were both too strong. An average size trout couldn’t bend them past the mid section and consequently they were 2nd and 3rd in the pecking order. I had no trouble trading them for rods that were in my wheelhouse.

The problem with having to save up is, if I don’t have the money at the time, something has to be traded. So one time I found myself trading for a classic that I couldn’t live without. I was preparing my rod for shipping - wiping down the shafts; wrapping the bubble wrap, etc.… I had an awful feeling… As I dropped it off at the post office, it felt wrong.

As it turned out, the rod that I traded for was misrepresented - a few hundred dollars worth. Rather than returning it, the dealer and I re-negotiated the terms and I ended up getting my rod back. Its been 15 years or so and I'm still glad I didn't return the classic - but as it shook out, its second to the rod that I almost traded.

bamboocollector11
Master Guide

Post by bamboocollector11 »

When you no longer desire it as much as or more than the one you are planning to purchase with the money you raise from that rod sale. Of course, that is only when you have already exceeded your rod allowance for the year.

doloresboy
Master Guide

Post by doloresboy »

I love bamboo rods. So much that I learned how to build them. Now
I have around 30 and given friends another 10-12. Usually only fish 4-5 of them.

Focused now on my new bird dog pup. Working on her for the nest 6 months until bird season. What a joy!

Matt

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

doloresboy wrote:I love bamboo rods. So much that I learned how to build them. Now
I have around 30 and given friends another 10-12. Usually only fish 4-5 of them.

Focused now on my new bird dog pup. Working on her for the nest 6 months until bird season. What a joy!

Matt
Nice!
Have you built a Leetle Feller? :)

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

I would only way I would likely let one go was if I was going down for the last time and needed both hands to get myself out .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

orange caddis
Guide

Post by orange caddis »

When the rod doesn’t give me joy anymore I pass it on to someone who will get joy out of it. At my age I don’t hold on to things that aren’t used or give me joy. It has simplified my life.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Flykuni3 wrote:When? Well, after 20–30 tossing and turning nights and gnashing of teeth. And years later I still regret a few I let go.
Pretty much sums it up for a lot of those I've let go due to need for cash vs. no real use.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

For me it was kinda easy. A coal mine is going to take my house in a few years. So I started looking at my stuff and asked "how much of this crap do you really want to move". My wife did the same thing. So we started selling off stuff. At first it was a bit hard but after a while it became easy. So we would look at things and ask "do i really want to pack and move it" if the answer is no than its gone.
Vern

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Woodlakejag wrote:There was a fad going around a few years ago called the Marie Kondo method of decluttering that involved holding an object up and looking at it. if the object didn’t “spark joy”, then it was time to get rid of it.
George
I yam a proud Asian American man, but I completely and totally disavow Marie Kondo and her methods. She cray. Gurl ain't never gettin' near my abode, tell you that.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Flykuni3 wrote:
Woodlakejag wrote:There was a fad going around a few years ago called the Marie Kondo method of decluttering that involved holding an object up and looking at it. if the object didn’t “spark joy”, then it was time to get rid of it.
George
I yam a proud Asian American man, but I completely and totally disavow Marie Kondo and her methods. She cray. Gurl ain't never gettin' near my abode, tell you that.
You word-master you...always, ALWAYS good for a grin!

Didn't know a thing about this young lady so ... I "Gubb-Googled" her. Made me grin some more.
Don't you ever stop this, ya hear...esp. in these times.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”