Value?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

checch
Guide

Re: Value?

Post by checch »

I's nice to think that money doesn't matter because it's about fun, that may be fine for the >1%. As a teacher I am addicted to fun,but after sending 3 kids to the best colleges I have a lot less fun.Infact a month ago when the market was skyrocketing I could have as much fun as the next zillionaire. Now that it's crashed 35% the group of zillionaires who can afford collectibles or fishables has decreased. So, should according to supply/demand, rods or butter affect the asking prices or is everyone long on collectibles ? Like the market if you have stayed long ,the value of your rods is down, way down . Cheers,Chet

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

"the value of your rods is down, way down"
Only if you originally bought them with the intent to sell them to make money. If you bought them to fish, they already had no value to anyone else.

Huge difference between buying something for collecting purpose and buying something for actual use. Antiques Roadshow has tons of examples where something dropped 30% from where it was 5 yrs ago.

Still comes back to your money, your choice, if you think something is too high don't buy it, see if the price drops to where you will buy it.

Just gets tiresome hearing this line of argument every cycle of the stock market.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

and I'll bet there are very serious collectors not overly concerned about monetary value. Collectors often use the items in their collections also, maybe not all of them, but certainly some of them.
Last edited by jhuskey on 03/22/20 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

checch wrote:I's nice to think that money doesn't matter because it's about fun, that may be fine for the >1%. As a teacher I am addicted to fun,but after sending 3 kids to the best colleges I have a lot less fun.Infact a month ago when the market was skyrocketing I could have as much fun as the next zillionaire. Now that it's crashed 35% the group of zillionaires who can afford collectibles or fishables has decreased. So, should according to supply/demand, rods or butter affect the asking prices or is everyone long on collectibles ? Like the market if you have stayed long ,the value of your rods is down, way down . Cheers,Chet
If you see these items as only having "market" value, as opposed to intrinsic value, then you just don't get it.

I just looked downstairs, my rods are still my rods. Their value to me has not diminished one iota, and that's the only value that matters. If I sell any of them for less than what I paid, it probably means I can buy another for a reduced price. And what's more, I don't really care. The pleasure I derive from owning and fishing these rods does not have a "price".

I'm just a middle-middle class guy with a hobby. Please get off this "zillionaire" stuff. My first collection was sold to pay tuition at a large state university, and while it wasn't a fortune, my son graduated debt free. It is what it is.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

There are many fishing methods besides the fly. I believe that our OP prefers trolling.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

quashnet wrote:There are many fishing methods besides the fly. I believe that our OP prefers trolling.
:rollin

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Short Tip wrote:
quashnet wrote:There are many fishing methods besides the fly. I believe that our OP prefers trolling.
+2

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Those aren't "fishing" methods. Those are "catching" methods.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

flyrodman wrote:
Short Tip wrote:
+2
Can somebody say "Amen"?!

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

...and they all said “Amen”
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Price is what you pay and value is what you get.

I once had a neighbor who was concerned with the cost of everything. As I was returning from fishing one day he saw me in the garage. he wanted to see my bamboo rod. True to form, the first thing he asked was what I paid for it. Being the polite person that I am I told him. When he commented negatively I said, "Dan, you know the price of everything and the value of nothing." This was a guy who had two bass boats, sports cars, ATV's and snowmobiles.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I make/repair/restore rods, and sell them. I also trade rods for work, though not often for new rods. So, if they leave they're gone, however if they come in they stay. I'm a black hole of fishing tackle. Damn the money......

Jay Edwards

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”