Value?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

checch
Guide

Value?

Post by checch »

Stock market tanks ,shouldn't values drop? Or do the millionaires that own these rods attempt to keep the prices up? Cheers,Chet

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Value?

Post by wrong66 »

?

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

The vast majority of us just tend to "go with the flow". Damn few millionaires in this crew, just a crusty group of middle aged and "old fart" fisher folk, with a few "youngsters" throw in for flavor.

Ralph

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Whew I feel better.LOL That's me! Rods are way overpriced IMHO. Cheers,Chet

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I love being an "Old Fart!"

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

rods way overpriced??? millionaires???????? tell that to a maker that clears less than 10 bucks an hour per rod when done and see what reaction you get!!! CBF !!

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Grump, grump, grump... go out and catch some nice fish! Enjoy the day, and do something with that creative mind of yours!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

yep all rods should sell for little or nothing and to heck with the makers actually making a living at what they do. right now we have to ask ourselves is it appropriate to go out in public and potentially help spread the pandemic? or should we be smart and self isolate to help stop the spread??

Ralphie you have no clue of what I have been up to!! thanks, have a nice day.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

checch wrote: Rods are way overpriced IMHO.
I'd say, in my own way, good cane rods are underpriced, undervalued, and underappreciated. As tools for fishing inside of 45 feet, I've found nothing works better--and, at the same time, nothing looks or feels better (though cosmetics will vary a lot, and it's not hard to appreciate at the same time both the austerity of a Payne or PHY and the embellishments of a Gnome).

Market prices are all about supply and demand, not about the inherent quality of the product itself.

As the stock market tanks, and bonds edge closer to inverse returns, people with money will park it it unusual places such as art and watches. Not everything goes down at the same time in the same way.

bb

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

comment deleted... apologies.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Average plumber salary in NH is about $30 an hour according to a quick search.
Lots of different books say "about 40 hours in a bamboo rod". Never having made one, I cannot say how accurate that is, but it's a common number tossed about.
If a rodmaker should get at least the average plumber salary, we're at $1200.
What if you consider a specific rodmaker a "Master plumber" that averages say $50 an hour. Same 40 hours gives you $2000.
Like plumbers and electricians a rodmaker has specific expertise that you are paying for. All craftsmen do. Add in an artistic flair (simple or ornate) and you can toss in a "beauty tax". A lot of folks also become friends with a rodmaker, not just customers.

Now Jeff may have sounded a bit harsh, but anyone that knows him senses the frustration that led to that harshness.

In the end, it's your money, your choice. If you think rods are overpriced, don't buy them. If you think they are underpriced, grab them all. If you think they are fairly priced, buy them and thank the rodmaker.

Disclaimer:
I own 2 rods that Jeff made for me and I consider him a good friend and a master at his craft and consider the rods worth every penny.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

when i was being mentored, i was told the secret to making a small fortune building rods ,was to start out with a large one. i dont make rods for the little money it generates. i no longer can get around so i do it to stay connected to the people that appreciate the sport . i also find i enjoy making each one. there are not many items today that are built by one person and have a personality . i think as you spend time w/ bamboo , you will find the value in your purchase.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Perfect explanation, Mer. The OP probably didn't mean any harm, but needs to realize that he can buy many great bamboo rods, old and new, for less than the price of a lot of new graphite.

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Rods are way overpriced
It's been at least a decade since I've heard that one.
Sound logic Mer.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

For most of us it’s not about the money. Prices go up, they go down, we don’t care all that much because we fish. That’s the part that is priceless.

levertonhatches
Master Guide

Post by levertonhatches »

In the foregoing comments there's a lot of talk about and buying and selling rods and suggestions about losing money in the markets. Let me drop a small idea into this discussion: fishing cane rods is something I've spent more [uncompensated] time doing than probably anything else since 1980 and here's what, to my delight, I have learned: Value is having my toes in the water and a rod in my hand. And that's it.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

levertonhatches wrote:In the foregoing comments there's a lot of talk about and buying and selling rods and suggestions about losing money in the markets. Let me drop a small idea into this discussion: fishing cane rods is something I've spent more [uncompensated] time doing than probably anything else since 1980 and here's what, to my delight, I have learned: Value is having my toes in the water and a rod in my hand. And that's it.
Hear hear. I don't make a great deal of money, never have really, but I've been at this bamboo rod thing a long time, and fly fishing even longer. It's important to me. I collect rods and reels. Good ones. I do try to fish them all, but I am a collector, no apology. Over the course of 30 years, I've amassed a nice collection of rods, sold nearly all of them, then acquired another collection. I've done it through buying, selling, trading, picking and by going without other things I don't need. I have no regrets and I make no excuses. I do get tired of others deciding what people should do with their own money, and what they should do with their own time. I'll gladly keep collecting and fishing, "market" be damned.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

levertonhatches wrote:In the foregoing comments there's a lot of talk about and buying and selling rods and suggestions about losing money in the markets. Let me drop a small idea into this discussion: fishing cane rods is something I've spent more [uncompensated] time doing than probably anything else since 1980 and here's what, to my delight, I have learned: Value is having my toes in the water and a rod in my hand. And that's it.
I completely agree. Although my sciatic nerve won’t let me fish as much as I used to fish, fishing and collecting rods is my drug of choice. I do not consider collecting rods to be a smart investment in that contex. The only reason I can come up with as to why someone would want to build rods is that they love and enjoy doing it. It’s a much harder undertaking than most people realize, it’s tedious work and can be painful to the fingers.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Short Tip wrote:
Hear hear. I don't make a great deal of money, never have really, but I've been at this bamboo rod thing a long time, and fly fishing even longer. It's important to me. I collect rods and reels. Good ones. I do try to fish them all, but I am a collector, no apology. Over the course of 30 years, I've amassed a nice collection of rods, sold nearly all of them, then acquired another collection. I've done it through buying, selling, trading, picking and by going without other things I don't need. I have no regrets and I make no excuses. I do get tired of others deciding what people should do with their own money, and what they should do with their own time. I'll gladly keep collecting and fishing, "market" be damned.
I like your attitude Paul! Mirrors mine. I just need to get out and fish more...

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

"...I do get tired of others deciding what people should do with their own money, and what they should do with their own time."
"...I have learned: Value is having my toes in the water and a rod in my hand."

And there we have folks. The money quotes in this thread.

The old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", well there is also another one: "Bargain is in the eye of the beholder". If you feel you got good value for your money, who cares what other people say. Best line from Dances with Wolves:

Good trade.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”