Gus Nevros, 8'6", 3/2/2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Gus Nevros, 8'6", 3/2/2

Post by teter »

That's stunning. I have never seen one of his rods.

bereakid

Post by bereakid »

Jay, all rods were hand planed, towards the end he was working on a milling machine in his house in Strongsville, Ohio. Ultimately I do not believe he used it to build any of his rods. He did open his house at the end of his life to any one that asked, but to my recollection he did not fully complete any rods. Any rods completed after 2002 would have been finished in Ohio. 2002 is when my grandmother died.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guy, As I remember, Gus said in a PM, I think, that the mill was set up for a 'straight taper.' That could allow the hand planing, but I don't remember him saying he was using it.

Jay Edwards

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Just fell across this wonderful thread about Gus. Almost all the information here about his personal life is new to me, and I wished I knew about that when we had lunch and dinner several times. For some reason, Gus always insisted on treating me, although I was far from penniless and in better financial shape than he was. The first meal was when we met, at a TGF event in Rye, NY, well before the big Chuck Furimsky fly shows. After he moved to Strongville to take care of his sick wife, we spent time looking at his new-to-him mill and his very neat and well set-up shop. He also had racks of his wife's clothes in her memory. She must have been very fashionable and Gus really missed her.

tl
les

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”