Rod-itus

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Ear4
Master Guide

Rod-itus

Post by Ear4 »

I was on the look out for a particular rod. Not super rare but not made anymore so I can’t just buy one whenever either.

One showed up on the auction site the other day and I thought about it but got focused on work being super busy. These days, having a lot of work is a true blessing. Anyway the rod is gone and I am checking the classifieds here and the rest of the usual websites twice a day to see if another one shows up.

The thought has crossed my mind, if I can’t get “the” rod, I maybe should just get “a” rod. This is when I realized I have rod-itus. Perhaps a serious case.

Is it missing out on the rod? A way of dealing with stress? Who knows. But I am calling myself out on it before I start a buying spree.

Anyone else relate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Re: Rod-itus

Post by Woodlakejag »

I have it and there is no cure
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Rods-anonymous should be able to help, there's a thirteen step process and you've taken the first step ... recognizing the problem. ::)
At least it won't kill ya, though your family may stop talking to you

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Ear4 wrote: The thought has crossed my mind, if I can’t get “the” rod, I maybe should just get “a” rod. This is when I realized I have rod-itus. Perhaps a serious case.
Personally I wouldn't but just any rod to satisfy an itch for a particular rod because I wouldn't be satisfied until I got that particular rod. I waited a bit for the particular rod I wanted from a prominent west coast maker. When I received it I felt it was worth the wait. I looked at some similar rods during the wait but resisted the urge and I'm glad I did.

A guy I used to shoot with was always in awe of a particular revolver of mine but didn't want to shell out the cash. So he bought a lower priced one that didn't quite do it for him. A guy at the range told him he had a bad copy so he bought another one. That wasn't any better. So the guy ends up with two crappy guns, out $1000 and still didn't get what he wanted.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Ear4 wrote: Is it missing out on the rod? A way of dealing with stress?
It's: A)Boredom, and B)enough discretionary funds to make the purchase plausible.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Why don't you put a WTB in the classifieds for the rod that you are looking for?

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I'd look to alcohol. It's easier to quit. :)

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

I have had it badly in the past, but think I am finally keeping it at bay. Symptoms seem to increase about half way through whatever the wait period is for a maker you have placed an order with. The longer the wait, the worse the symptoms.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Ok, I appreciate everyone’s help. I am resolved to hold out for the rod I really want. And I have also taken the suggestion of putting a WTB in the classifieds.

I can be patient. I really can.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I would advise a "quit cold turkey" type thing. It's too late for me, but you can still save yourself. Just take a big 'ol box, fill it up with all your fly fishing gear and send it to me. There will be a withdrawal period, but if you make it through that you're safe.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Rod-itus often is accompanied by a GAS attack. Such comorbidity is extremely difficult to treat.
take two asprin and see me in the morning :rollin
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

I manage to keep the specter of rod-itus at bay however it is the red headed stepchild of firearm-itus, with which I also suffer...there is one pistol I now seek that I can only find in barrel lengths too long for the intended purpose...but sooner or later...
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Ear4 wrote:Ok, I appreciate everyone’s help. I am resolved to hold out for the rod I really want. And I have also taken the suggestion of putting a WTB in the classifieds.
You will be glad you waited. In less than 24 hours of receiving the rod I waited for I took a 20" Brown Trout in northern Wisconsin. It made the wait worthwhile.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

What rod?

I had about a 4 year gear bender. Never could get it, then I could. The dam broke. On one hand I was searching for my quiver, and I did find it in unexpected ways, hence why I'm here and obsessed with bamboo after a glass bender. But it's ultimately wasteful as it's the indian not the arrow.

All I'll say for sure is this.... if you have rod-itus, when you buy a rod, mess around with it, and then sell it to make way for the next one (if it's not a keeper), don't think of the loss you may take, think of your time with the rod as a rental fee :)

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 07/01/20 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Hellmtflies wrote:I'd look to alcohol. It's easier to quit. :)
LOL !!!! Right you are, 5/22/17, quit cold turkey, after 50 yrs of indulgence and never looking back!

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Covid-Rod Infinitum....been around for a long time. It goes dormant for a while and then resurfaces with a vengeance in the best of us.

R
Random Casts

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I was just thinking how I'm done buying anything now, maybe for good, but how cool would it be to track down a Bracket era Penta Winston.... really cool.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

A Brackett era Pent would be cool . . . .

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

Rod-itus is bad enough, but I’ve fallen victim to tackle tart-itus! It was bad enough up until two years ago but I accidentally, at a fund raising dinner for the Atlantic Salmon Federation, bought a two handed salmon rod. I tried it and was hooked. Rods, reels, and, and , and......lines! All kinds for all kinds of conditions! Ouch!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”