maintenance and care

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: maintenance and care

Post by Tommasini »

One item not mentioned on any site: After fishing, sight down the rod and if any bends are present, reverse bend them by hand to straighten. Rods treated this way will tend to stay straight because all rods spend the majority of their life in the tube. Advice is from Per Brandin.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

Tommasini wrote:One item not mentioned on any site: After fishing, sight down the rod and if any bends are present, reverse bend them by hand to straighten. Rods treated this way will tend to stay straight because all rods spend the majority of their life in the tube. Advice is from Per Brandin.
You're not going to straighten a set in a bamboo rod without some localized heating of the affected sweep/set. If you can straighten a set at creekside and it stays straight until you cast it or play fish with it and it takes a set again right away, there is something wrong somewhere...

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

fragmentum wrote:You're not going to straighten a set in a bamboo rod without some localized heating of the affected sweep/set. If you can straighten a set at creekside and it stays straight until you cast it or play fish with it and it takes a set again right away, there is something wrong somewhere...
I disagree. This has come up before and has resulted in some unpleasant discussion in the past. Despite that, I will repeat that I almost always straighten cold and the rod stays straight. Nothing wrong with using heat, but straightening cold works and rods that it works for do not easily take sets.

Tim

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

fragmentum wrote: Don't store your fly rod in a rod bag in a rod tube. Rod tubes are for transporting your rod to and from your fishing location only.
I don't understand this ... have stored my rods in their tubes for years. What is the rationale for this advice?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

teter wrote:
fragmentum wrote: Don't store your fly rod in a rod bag in a rod tube. Rod tubes are for transporting your rod to and from your fishing location only.
I don't understand this ... have stored my rods in their tubes for years. What is the rationale for this advice?
I believe that this recommendation pre dates air conditioning, but am interested in what others have to say.

BruceHandley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BruceHandley »

I'm with teter on the tube question, all my working rods are in tubes and have been for years without problems. In fact I have a number of Orvis rods that are well over 100 years old, they started out in round wooden tubes. And that's where they spend all most all of their time to this day,again without problems.
Bruce

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Once dry from a trip, all rods are safely stored within their respective bag and tube.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

teter wrote:
There isn't any...

stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Some of the links cited herein have recommend camellia oil for guides and ferrules.

What is a good source for camellia oil? There are many offerings on line but they all seem to be pitched for personal care purposes, not for metal objects. I would be concerned that there could be additives for “skin care” that might be harmful, i.e., corrosive or leave an untoward residue, for metal.

When knife expert Bernard Levine was writing his seminal knife guides in the 1970s, he recommended buying camellia oil (AKA “Japanese sword oil”) from Morty the Knife Man. Morty is long-gone.

In short, is there a source for camellia oil that is intended or at least reliable for quality metal objects?

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I imagine there is no difference. You can probably get a bottle that says "100% Pure camiella oil," similar to the jojoba oil used in skin care. For jojoba oil there are no additives, it's probably the same with camiella.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

I would neither use it nor pay $24.99 for eight ounces, but this is the very first google search result for camellia oil.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Came ... gIGOfD_BwE

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”