Horrocks-Ibbotson Catalog Thread. Yes? No?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Horrocks-Ibbotson Catalog Thread. Yes? No?

Post by OldCane »

Would love to see some H-I catalogs. Some 25 years ago I had a 6'6" H-I Fairy (3/1) rod and it was a total basket case. No idea as to thread colors or anything about the rod. I even contacted Michael Sinclair and he'd never heard of the rod. It got traded off in a rod deal, but it has always bothered me that here was a short rod from a large maker and it was a complete unknown. So post as many catalogs as possible, as we old pharts pass it would be nice that we leave more knowledge behind than we found was available for us.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, The 1949 reprint by Dick Spurr was interesting, but I'd think the companies best work would have been earlier, pre-war, huh? Thank you for posting these historic catalogs. We/I use 'em.

Jay Edwards

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

Absolutely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

The H-I catalog thread has been started. Will probably take a week or two to finish. Maybe sooner. Thanks guys.
Mark

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Thank you!
Vern

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 07/01/20 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

Dylan518
Guide

Post by Dylan518 »

definitely

brudnod
Sport

Post by brudnod »

I have been collecting H-I rods for years, mostly for restoration purposes (to as close to original as possible). There are a couple of dozen in this collection: 1/4 are probably best categorized as junk, 1/2 are fishable rods that are not much to look at but can catch fish, and 1/4 are really excellent fishing rods with excellent [bamboo] action and show well. The last category includes Vernley, Chancellor and Old Hi's High Test. I don't include the Tonka series since they seem to vary substantially in quality. What I do not have are more exact dates of when these better rods might have been produced. Catalogs would be a great addition to the knowledge base! Please continue your quest!!!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”