Oyster Bamboo fly rods?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

KLNC
Guide

Re: Oyster Bamboo fly rods?

Post by KLNC »

Yes it's a long week, but not a marathon only for the fit. There are all kinds of students of all ages and fitness levels and everyone manages to get through the class smiling and in one piece.
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Very true.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Sounds like being a surgeon for needing the endurance to be on your feet all day, hah.

This is a great thread. I judged a rod for its looks and blinded myself of their potential. Never a bad thing to stand corrected. However, if I ever build a rod I would definitely go the Garrison or Payne route. The only rod I put together that I fish consistently I didn't even write on.

KLNC
Guide

Post by KLNC »

Another good thing about Bill's classes, at least when I did them, is you can build the configuration and taper you want--it's not cookie cutter. I'm sure there are some limitations, but if you want Garrison or Payne tapers, it's probably available.
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Same was true for mine.

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

Bill’s classes are booked out until summer 2021. He’s clearly doing something right! I’m a “less is more” guy when it comes to esthetics, but his engravings sure show some skill at work.

Jake

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Man, I am a newbie when it comes to bamboo. I do remember being in his website a few months ago. It took me a while to realize that the price tag that I was looking at was the deposit....

I am sure the rods are top notch, but way over my income bracket.

Thanks

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I've never seen one of Oyster's rods in person but they must be wonderful. I believe President J. Carter has one so they must be top shelf.
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 05/08/20 06:53, edited 1 time in total.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Hellmtflies wrote:I've never seen one of Oyster's rods on person but they must be wonderful. I believe President J. Carter has one so they must be top shelf.
hello, hell mountain,
i was fresh out of peidmont with a michelin heart valve when i visited bill's shop. bill was fishing, riley showed me around. handled the brand new salt water rod. great rods, great shop, great town, great fishing. all God's "chilluns" should visit at least once. if can visit, give smithgall's a try for a thrill of a lifetime.

regards, jim w

archt
Sport

Post by archt »

Bill is one of the best teachers i ever encountered, and I attended a number of "name" academic schools. He and Riley make sure every student completes a beautiful, and functional two piece bamboo rod. I can't praise him or his school enough. My wife finally decided to go build one with me, and, as she said, she had never used anything except kitchen tools. Her 7'-9" 6-weight rod is beautiful, better than my fourth rod, becasue, as Bill said, "Women do what they are told." This is not sexist, just accurate. A week in Blue Ridge is a treat, and the rods are wonderful. The class is a gerat experience, and Bill's engraving is topnotch. I am not sure the trout careabout engraving, but when I opted for a second tip, and my wife for her initials on the butt, I had to have the same after I saw hers. It's been a long journey, but I am still trying to catch up to her.

Bill Oyster's tapers and work are as good as any I've seen. A friend, who has built over a dozen rods with Bill, goes back every year, and he is one of the best trout fishermen I've ever encountered. Enough said.

salmonid1
Guide

Post by salmonid1 »

Bob, Some years ago examined them at the Somerset show. My opinion is that he is still an emerging maker and workmanship falls short of his price point. Bob, there are so many others to choose from. Of course since that time, he might have improved. I put one rod together and the ferrule fit was abysmal. But I am a stickler for ferrule fit and straightness. Hey, do we have a new Forum format? Use me email, Bob. clisella@aol.com Best, Carmine

salmonid1
Guide

Post by salmonid1 »

I mean "my" email.....

archt
Sport

Post by archt »

Bill Oyster is one of the best teachers I have ever met. He is patient, clear, pleasant, and knows what he is doing. Even better, if the student screws up (I have) either he or Riley corrects the mistake so that every student completes a beautiful, ready to fish two piece rod in six days. The class is a joy, and the rods beautiful. And they have your name on them! My wife took a class with me, and having never done anything with tools other than in the kitchen, completed a nicer rod than I did. The engraving and embellishments are beautiful, but the trout don't care. What matters is that the rod flexes beautifully, and is a pleasure to use.
The class is wonderful: sign up!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I met a gentleman a few weeks ago on the stream who was fishing with a rod he made at a class given by Mr. Oyster. It was his first build. The guy did a nice job. The varnish and wraps were not as nice as those on my Schroeder quad but I would not expect them to be. I don’t think Don’s first rod looked anything like the one I was fishing. Mine has a serial number in the upper 400’s.

We had a nice discussion on cane rods. The guy was fishing and enjoying a cane rod he had made himself. Mission accomplished. All good.

dkp858

Post by dkp858 »

I agree with everything that has been said about Bill, Riley and the crew at Oyster. I took his class in Nov., 2020 thanks to my wife who deciding I needed an adventure. She found the class and got me in as the result of a cancellation. This was my first experience in building a rod and something, to be honest, I had never thought about doing. What impressed me most about Bill was the fact that he not only teaches what to do, but he also shows the technique to do it. I was so hooked on this that I immediately signed on for another class, even though it's not until Apr., 2022.
He can be blunt in his critique so if you take his class and screw up don't be too shocked. I was doing fine until wrapping day.....had a really hard time getting the feel for it. wrapped my first guide, looked at it, I new it wasn't right, said something to Bill and he was like, "you need to redo that, the threads are too far apart....etc". So I re-did that one, and finally got the hang of it. I think I was the last one to finish wrapping with no time to spare and no opportunity for accents......live and learn.
He has 8 students in a class and teaches like 20 classes a year. We had newbies like myself, a guy from Texas that had been building rods on his own and the class had been recommended to him to help improve his building and a guy taking the class for the 2nd time, he built a 6'6" 4pc 2wt. The average build was 7'9" 6wt. and one guy build 8'6" saltwater rod that I think was a 9wt, so yes you pick what you want to build, 2 or 4 pc, length and wt. I have not seen mention here but you can have have a extra tip built for you while you are there. Bill has added a guy and that's all he does, builds extra tips.
Don't pass on the opportunity if you get it.....

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”