The Greatest Value In Bamboo

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

DaveNJ
Master Guide

The Greatest Value In Bamboo

Post by DaveNJ »

What do you think it the greatest value in bamboo fly rods?

Factors:
-price
-performance
-availability

I'm asking! Don't have a horse in this race, although I'd imagine it's an Orvis rod based on price and availability.

Also, if you think there should be an additional factor please say so.

*if this winds up being a landslide for Orvis, maybe add an upper tier for Winstons, Leonards, etc. Or maybe a "$2k" tier if we could agree for the sake of conversation that this is an average price for the upper mid level of bamboo.
Last edited by DaveNJ on 05/12/20 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

adkfan
Guide

Re: The Greatest Value In Bamboo

Post by adkfan »

I’d agree with Orvis as representing the best overall value given the listed criteria. They also have a far reaching spectrum of actions so there really is an Orvis rod for everyone. I own a flea, a 7& 7.5’ battenkill, a 9’ shooting star and a very early Jordan era varnished 8’ Manchester. Their actions couldn’t be more different. None of them were any more expensive then a good graphite rod when I bought them and I’m not sure but they may be indestructible. They also make good boat rods given their hardiness, not something I’d say about any other bamboo

There’s also a ton of them out there

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Availability makes it Orvis by a good margin.

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

I certainly won't fault mentions of heritage production builders like Orvis (or several well-known others),
and hope this doesn't highjack the intent of your thread, but we have among us today builders well worth giving this acknowledgement.

For one, the bench-made rods of Jim Ifert, 'KentuckyJim' here on the Forum,
have for some time now demonstrated high values in all three categories of -price, -performance and -availability.
Jim has been bringing a veritable Car Load of his great rods to the BambooBash in Townsend TN for several years now,
and always leaves for home with quite a few less, with very satisfied fishermen in his wake. Allowing Bashers to sample his rod actions,
craftsmanship and pricing first-hand over several days has been a great way to find the 'rod that fits your hand'
and a great chance to get to know, as a friend, this very talented builder of vintage and contemporary tapers.

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

I agree 100%...It’s very true that the local builder turning out great value rods is prob a fantastic way to go. I hesitated to mention one as there are so many it would be hard to mention them all that would meet that criteria... great answer tho!
tunafart wrote:I certainly won't fault mentions of heritage production builders like Orvis (or several well-known others),
and hope this doesn't highjack the intent of your thread, but we have among us today builders well worth giving this acknowledgement.

For one, the bench-made rods of Jim Ifert, 'KentuckyJim' here on the Forum,
have for some time now demonstrated high values in all three categories of -price, -performance and -availability.
Jim has been bringing a veritable Car Load of his great rods to the BambooBash in Townsend TN for several years now,
and always leaves for home with quite a few less, with very satisfied fishermen in his wake. Allowing Bashers to sample his rod actions,
craftsmanship and pricing first-hand over several days has been a great way to find the 'rod that fits your hand'
and a great chance to get to know, as a friend, this very talented builder of vintage and contemporary tapers.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I just had an exceptionally nice rod made for me by Joe Balestrieri at what to me was an exceptionally reasonable price. And we do have many current builders making fine rods that are available today. I believe however that the original question mentioning "availability" was concerning rods already built and widely available on consignment sites and such.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Orvii, Heddon, SB 290.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

No right or wrong answers here! Just thought it would be an interesting conversation. I know in the world of Fiberglass a Steffen 8' 5/6 could be set in stone as the best value, and in graphite an early Orvis or Winston in a 5wt is very hard to beat. So I was thinking about Bamboo but don't feel that I have the confidence that I had in my previous claims.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Orvis for sure.
Something like a 7.5-8 ft Battenkill for a 6 weight (cast & fish with a 5 weight).

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Whatever you have in your hand on the stream.

imaterp02
Guide

Post by imaterp02 »

Orvis, Phillipson, Heddon #17 or higher, Montague Fishkills and Redwings, nice H.I. Tonka Queens and new rods by Mike Brooks.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Come on guys...if you want consistency, quality, modern day fish-ability and value, then besides Orvis you must consider Granger rods at the very top of the bamboo fly rod heap.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

caddisman4
Guide

Post by caddisman4 »

Phillipson at one time especially here in Colorado could be had for 200-500 and even less and man are they great Rock Mountain rods!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

The granger and phillipson rods are now nearly 70 years old. Most orvis rods that can be had at similar price points are nearing that as well. And the really nice 7030 etc are usually over 1k to aquire.

My votes:

Sweetgrass Mantra series rods, superb tapers, build quality, and support.

WW Blackburn Rods. https://blackburnbamboorods.com/?robopage=ordering.htm Just because his rods are phenomenal for the price Tom Morgan chose his last apprentice well. And Bill is a good guy and supports his products.

At 1500$ for a 2/2 however you want it I would gladly pay the extra 500$ to have a rod built this century by a modern master.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

thorsma
Sport

Post by thorsma »

I would add Art Weiler, Dennis Stone, and Bill Critchfield to the list

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Price isn't necessarily a factor in determining value for me, but I'll play. Applying the factors in the original post: Orvis & Granger
However, I have to second the comments about Joe Balestrieri/Redwing Rods) and Jim Ifert. Both produce fine rods at a reasonable price in a short time.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

As far as new goes it's hard to beat a Sweetgrass Mantra.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Orvis you can sell for same price again. Don’t know which rod does the same

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

DaveNJ wrote:No right or wrong answers here! Just thought it would be an interesting conversation. I know in the world of Fiberglass a Steffen 8' 5/6 could be set in stone as the best value, and in graphite an early Orvis or Winston in a 5wt is very hard to beat. So I was thinking about Bamboo but don't feel that I have the confidence that I had in my previous claims.
Speaking of glass, I bought a pal a 7' for a 5 Cabela's glass rod for about $70. And boy was I surprised when it arrived, beautiful rod and very well-fitted. Sharp green blank, tight wraps and good reel seat and metal work. Put on a DT4 and it felt very, very nice. Pretty darn good buy, like their Three Forks combos, good quality for the price.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I've always heard good things about those rods.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”