Fly Rods as Art - Part 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fly Rods as Art - Part 2

Post by thegubster »

archer829 wrote:I put a strip of adhesive sandpaper around the drill--not sure how visible it is in the picture--and while it doesn't provide a rock solid hold, it does hold the ring just enough to work.

The actual removal of wood comes from a belt sander. Belt sander in one hand, spinning drill in the other. Lots of sawdust everywhere....

Archer,

VERY nicely done indeed! Your last set of 6 pictures made me smile with appreciation. Your idea of those tube "clamps" - a light press fit - done carefully, earned you a big grin from this boy! Well done!!

That one pic. of your method of rounding out the dia. with your hand drill had me grinning again. That was good!! Pretty gutsy I'd say. Well done again!

Lastly, I'll have to say that display case looks really good! I have a little wood shop and like to play around but it's been awhile since I made any "furniture" to speak of. Too busy with some green wood and spoon carving of late, a new passion! It's great to see some work so nicely done that displays those rods and reels so well!

Jeremy.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Thanks, Jeremy!

Jeff

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

That is art! Very nicely done. Elegant comes to mind. Do you still fish the rods and reels that are in the case? Again, great work!

Jake

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Jeremy, "Too busy with some green wood and spoon carving of late, a new passion!" I know it's not bamboo but let's see some spoons.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Jake: Thanks! And yes, I do use them. Just fished one of them yesterday, as a matter of fact. My youngest daughter and I both fished bamboo and absolutely slayed the very tiny bluegills at our local fishing spot.

Jeremy: I agree with Crowebeetle. Lets see some spoons!

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Hmm you boys...this is a tad embarrassing b/c I've never posted any spoon pics online before (Facebook green-woodworking/spoon forums) because some of those folks are really good. No, I mean REALLY good!! So bear with me.

These are mainly whimsical, some as the grain flows, some me just pushing an idea. The really crummy ones saw my backyard fire ring and bloody quick too! It's a really humbling experience carving these with 45 yrs making furniture and "supposedly" to know which ends up!!!

I also find as with bamboo rods, I have a bit of a "tools problem" 8) Some things never change... With apologies for the photo's. I'm not one to putz w/a camera and it's settings and I don't own a cell phone.

These all originate from a "billet" or "brick-shaped" chunk of wet wood split from the tree and kept "wet" to prevent any checking by floating in a tub of water till ready to chop into shape. And with that need come the "wife" issues but we won't go there! ;) :P

Many "good" carvers sell their wares for up to $50-60 per. I give these away to a church benefit when a couple clay pots fill up! Mostly cherry and apple wood.

Thank you,

Jeremy.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Very nice, do you make knives as well?

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Those are great! What is the average length of time needed to make one, from start to finish? Are they sealed with anything?

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

crowebeetle...Thank you. Nope, no knives, just spoons and soup ladles etc.

Jeff... thanks. On average from squaring up the rough billet (you need a couple "flats" to ref. from before chopping out the rough shape) to carving the shape approx. 5-6 hrs. Then you set it aside to dry a day or two before a final detail shaping when the wood is dry and that takes another hour.

The usual chit/chat for those quite sensitive suggests finishing spoons with a walnut oil and various others of choice. The "food safe" worriers get really concerned and that goes a bit off the charts with some. Me, I just use pure tung oil and rub it in with the fingers for a little bit then wipe dry. It gives the finished spoon a nice rich color and I'm not concerned about sealing per se'.

I just carve for the pleasure, the challenge etc. As mentioned, I'm really amazed at how humbling it is to get things looking anything close to what the seasoned guys and girls can do. Like fly fishing, if it were a breeze then we wouldn't keep at it! I'm not even close!!

I went back to the beginning of this post and was really appreciative of the work you did on that cabinet. Made me smile all over again!! I didn't mean to get off-topic so much.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Thanks for the info and again for the compliments! I thought it looked like it might be tung oil. Beautiful work!

Jeff

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”