rod recommendation

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: rod recommendation

Post by Hellmtflies »

I'd look to Bill Blackburn. His 8" 4wt. is wonderful. A "Go To" rod for me and others.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

+1 for Bill Blackburn - his rods are excellent.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

I have several 7'6" and taller 3wt thru 6wt 2-piece rods or a 3-piece 8' 5wt available for less $$ than you'd expect from a Montana rod maker. PM for details.

Don

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

I would get a 4 wt Perfectionist reproduction.

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

Do yourself a favour and check out Massimo Tirocchi of Italy . He builds fantastic looking rods that are superb fishing tools .
I myself have a 7ft 4# that I would describe as fast actioned for bamboo .
I’ve not seen one of Massimo’s rods come up for sale on the second hand market , that in itself tells you the quality of his rods .
If you do get in touch with Massimo please tell him Kris from Australia pointed you in his direction.
I can’t recommend Massimo and his rods enough they really are superb!

Tom McCoy
Sport

Post by Tom McCoy »

JDJ,

I live in Winthrop and would be happy to let you try the few rods that I have on hand. At present my cane inventory is: 7' 4wt Tom Morgan taper from Poppy Cummins at the Red Shed Fly Shop. He will build you a new rod for $500 but only makes 3 tapers, the 7'er mentioned above, a 7.5' 5wt on a Morgan taper, and an 8' 6wt on a Wayne Cattanach taper (this would be my choice for the Methow. Wouldn't be surprised if he would send you a demo rod). I've also got 7.5' 5wt Constable Wallop Brook parabolic, and an 8.5' Edwards 4/5wt that has yet to get fished...but will soon as the high water recedes.

In fact, this invitation is extended to any members of this forum. Always fun to get together with kindred spirits. Plus, I would really like to try some other rods. Let me know if anyone is interested in putting together a cane gathering here in Methow as soon as we are past this wretched virus issue, I'd be happy to coordinate the event.

JDJ

Post by JDJ »

Thought I'd provide a quick update, but first want to thank all who responded. I'm new to this site and have been very impressed at how helpful people are. I ended up picking up a Chris Carlin rod from a board member. It's an 8' 4 weight 3 piece. I am excited to try it out when the flows drop. There are a couple folks who have responded who are local. I'd love to catch up with you on the river and learn more about fishing with cane rods. I'm a bit of a gear tart and am afraid I may be developing a new bad habit. Thanks again for all your help.

Jon

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”