Stuck Ferrules? Bring latex gloves

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Stuck Ferrules? Bring latex gloves

Post by billems »

I had a box of latex gloves in the car is use for shopping in crowded marketplaces. Ferrules were stuck at the end of the days' fishing. The old between-the-knees ploy didn't work either. So, I put on a pair of the latex gloves. Hands still threatened to slip. Spat on my palms; grip on the rod was vice-tight, followed by the sweet sounding champagne "pop" of separation. Glad I had them along.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Stuck Ferrules? Bring latex gloves

Post by cdmoore »

Yep. I cut the forearms off those yellow dishwashing gloves you see and those work great. Fit in a pocket (shirt or vest or bag in the car) a little better than the other end. Another trick I saw on youtube from Kelly Galloup was wrapping the shafts in duct tape. Look it up for details. Works great.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Lots of grip tricks out there that work, you just need to remember them :)

I guess this is one area a one piece or spliced rod has the advantage over ferruled rods :)

Mark Dankel
Sport

Post by Mark Dankel »

My favorite is the "latex" mesh kitchen cabinet shelf liner stuff. I just stash a couple of 5" x 5" squares in the pack. Sometimes need them to assemble as well as disassemble ferrules for really tight rods. I also use FerruLube wax from The Silver Trout in Fayston, VT. Great stuff.
Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible. - Miguel de Unamuno 1905

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

The round pads used to grip jar lids work well. I keep a pair of them in each of my fishing kits.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

I keep a bar of Ivory in a plastic bag in my fishing bag, as well as in my car. I generally get to know the rods where the ferrules tend to be tough to take down, and give them a light rub of Ivory before assembling. Really helps, though having the rubber pads is worthwhile (in glove box) as well as behind the knee technique. Sometimes taking a break and letting the hands relax will help. Curse the rodmaker a few times. Mind over matter. If nothing works, I've driven home with the rod assembled a few times!

Northern Angler

Post by Northern Angler »

I kept an old bike inner tube tire, cut it up, and keep two sections with each reel case. I also like to periodically clean the male and female ferrules with alcohol once in a while. As a last result, if they still stick, I will lightly clean with the finest steel wool.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

creakycane wrote:
06/26/20 16:29
Curse the rodmaker a few times. Mind over matter. If nothing works, I've driven home with the rod assembled a few times!
Been there, done all that!

I use the mesh shelf liner too. An 2' long piece is enough to stash 4'x4" or 6" x 6" squares in your vests, reel duffles, vehilcle, with enough left over to pass out to buddies who need it in a pinch.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

The latex coated gardening gloves work very well, too. Having your whole hands involved in pulling tight ferrules apart is safer than just a piece of rubber in your fingers. Precludes pulling off a guide in the process if your hands slip.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I keep a pair of lid openers in the back of my fly vest -- they came in handy earlier this spring when it was raining.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”