Dickerson 908012 rod.

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Cubbymac1

Dickerson 908012 rod.

Post by Cubbymac1 »

I have a gentleman who walked into my shop today and asked if I could restore 2 of his grandfather's old bamboo fly rods. This gentleman has had these two rods since the early 70's. They were part of his grandfather’s rod collection. His grandfather died in 1952.

Here is the info he gave me on his grandfather:

"His name was - Joseph Esser. I have his middle name somewhere but don’t know off top of my head. He was born in Wisconsin. Went to dental school in Iowa. Lived in Remsen, Iowa until about 1936. The lived in Cedar Rapids, Iowa until moving to Seattle in 1937 or 1938. He was a fly fishing fanatic who loved to chase salmon and steelhead on a fly rod. One of his best friends was June Jensen."

One of the rods is a 1920's era H-I bamboo fly rod. The other rod is a Dickerson 908012 fly rod with the same reel seat, guides, ferrules, and thread windings as the 908012 -C rod on The Spinoza website. The rod has seen some use, but everything still appears to be original: the butt, mid, and tips are all equal length. The rod is missing two guides: one on the mid and one a tip.

I was hoping to find John Pickard to see about repairing it for this gentleman. But, I have read some threads on here that Pickard might not be doing this work anymore. Any ideas?

Floyd McCubbins
Grizzly Bamboo Rods
Kalispell, MT.

Cubbymac1

Re: Dickerson 908012 rod.

Post by Cubbymac1 »

That should be Luhr Jensen

Cubbymac1

Re: Dickerson 908012 rod.

Post by Cubbymac1 »

fishbates
Master Guide