Rod Maker named Larry Lohcamp!

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Rod Maker named Larry Lohcamp!

Post by DUCKMANNM »

anyone know of a Bamboo Rod Maker named Larry Lohcamp? Can anyone tell me anything about him or his rods. Especially a 7'6" 5 weight called a "Yakima Special?"

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Rod Maker named Larry Lohcamp!

Post by roycestearns »

Gary Lohkamp was a Portland OR area maker and featured in Joe's "Oregon Bamboo".
Are you sure it's "Larry Lohcamp"?

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Larry was active on the Rodmakers Email List a few years ago. I think he is in Florida and no longer making rods. I see his name on Facebook now and then. Btw, I think his last name is Lohkamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Yo Duck - dunno about a Larry Lohcamp, but I have a 7'6" #5 from Gary Lohkamp. He was living in the Portland OR area and built a cabin at Maupin on the Deschutes.

hp
les

caddisman4
Guide

Post by caddisman4 »

Dang,memories i had a 6.5 ft 3wt 4pc Gary Lohkamp.Best small stream pack rod ever,i foolishly sold it when i was offered 400.00 like 15 years ago[i thought i needed the money:{

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I friend emailed me today that he found a post on the Forum from Larry Lohkamp from back in 2009. Thanx to all for your answers!

Baithog

Post by Baithog »

Harry messaged me that this was here. I haven't made a rod in nearly 10 years as my arthritis has made planing a painful chore. In fact, I would like to sell my remaining bamboo and equipment to anyone in driving distance to central Florida.

I only sold a few rods. It was hard to get anyone to pay enough to cover materials, let alone the many hours it takes to do a decent job. I am retired. It was a hobby.

I have no record of ever making anything called a "Yakima Special" I didn't name my rods, instead they were marked with a serial number and signed. A picture of the maker's signature would confirm it, but I think it was Gary that made the rod... and it is a K, not a c in both our names.

Larry

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”