Sweetgrass 8'9" for a five?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bob2935
Master Guide

Sweetgrass 8'9" for a five?

Post by bob2935 »

Just wondering if anyone has ever owned this taper. Love the Sweetgrass rods and looking for one more as I have just about cornered the market on Glens work. The rod in question would be a hex. Any impressions would be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Grouse
Guide

Re: Sweetgrass 8'9" for a five?

Post by Grouse »

Had a Winston 8' 9" for six which was decent. Sold a Sweetgrass 8' 9" for five for a friend to a forum member years ago. Nice fly rod.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Mr Grouse Could you describe the taper in terms of if it is a slow taper or medium taper. Have the Sweetgrass 8'3" two piece for a five but that is a really nice strong taper. Also own Winston Brackett taper 8'6' two piece for a five and that is more of a medium slow taper. What are the strong points of that Sweetgrass 89 five. Thanks Bob

Grouse
Guide

Post by Grouse »

To be fair I did not fish this rod as it belonged to a friend and I was helping him with offering the rod. However, in test casting the rod it was quite nice and did not feel as heavy as my similar length Winston 8' 9" three section for six weight. Granted the Sweetgrass was a two section five weight rod but it was also less noticeable that it was a long rod in casting in comparison to the other rod noted.

A better observation is that the 8' 9" five weight felt slightly heavier than the Sweetgrass 7' 9" five weight rod which is a popular model with good reason. The 8' 9" Sweetgrass five weight rod was medium in action and nicely balanced in my limited experience with this model.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Grouse Thanks for the description. All my Sweetgrass have quicker more than medium tapers plus 86 is my favorite length in general so this longer and slower taper will be a nice addition to the collection. We live on a Spring Creek and do love fishing Frank Sawyer style with long leaders pheasant tails, killer bugs and tiny midge pupa and those longer slower cane rods seem to work better and it will be a perfect soft hackle type rod. Plus to me Glen is now almost a one man shop and his prices are a gift when you look at his experience and quality. Being an essential worker I did want to treat myself to a nice cane rod as this disaster has been so stressful. Thanks for the feedback

Bohemian Bob

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

bob2935 wrote:
07/23/20 07:05
Grouse Thanks for the description. All my Sweetgrass have quicker more than medium tapers plus 86 is my favorite length in general so this longer and slower taper will be a nice addition to the collection. We live on a Spring Creek and do love fishing Frank Sawyer style with long leaders pheasant tails, killer bugs and tiny midge pupa and those longer slower cane rods seem to work better and it will be a perfect soft hackle type rod. Plus to me Glen is now almost a one man shop and his prices are a gift when you look at his experience and quality. Being an essential worker I did want to treat myself to a nice cane rod as this disaster has been so stressful. Thanks for the feedback

Bohemian Bob
Is this the Mantra that was listed on his site. If so how about a review after you fish it. It caught my eye when i saw it a about a month ago.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Hi I noticed that Mantra too but really like the Sweetgrass deluxe versions. It will take a while once ordered for sure. I will include pics when I receive it. Thanks bob

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”