Bamboo rod with native american symbols

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

TommyThomas
Sport

Bamboo rod with native american symbols

Post by TommyThomas »

I recently acquired a bamboo rod that has indian symbols the entire length of the butt section.
Has anyone ever seen something like this? The symbols appear to be hand done in India ink.
The detail is unbelievable. Help, Tommy Thomas

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Re: Bamboo rod with native american symbols

Post by DireWolf53 »

Photos please...
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

TommyThomas
Sport

Post by TommyThomas »

Let me see if I can figure out how to do that challenged to say the least

TommyThomas
Sport

Post by TommyThomas »

I think I have figured out the photo requirements but let me apologize in advance as I am teaching fly fishing all day tomorrow
(Friday) and have an art studio presentation of my bamboo fly rods on Saturday but will get you some photos.
Thank you for your response. Tommy

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

with both Cherokee and Delaware flowing in my veins I would love to see pictures as well!!

TommyThomas
Sport

Post by TommyThomas »

Here we go

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

very fine ink work!!

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

pretty cool, but it looks like somebody added those after the fact. Photos of the complete rod, along with closeups of the grip/reel seat and ferrules would help identify it.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I saw this on eBay a while back, Looked like a cheap mass produced rod to me. The inking is fun though. Webfly is likely correct.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

TommyThomas
Sport

Post by TommyThomas »

Please see attached new photos. Thank you for the responses.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I recall seeing rods that had "Pequea Tribe" script, but the maker escapes me. I don't know if there is any connection?

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

The ferrules look like Horrocks-Ibbotson to me, as does the reel seat. The inking on the rod was surely done after it left the factory. Nothing to do with the Pequea Tribe marked rods, which I believe were made by Montague for Pequea Works in Strasburg, PA.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

I agree with Mark (wrong66). It's a Horrocks-Ibbotson made rod, probably built in the 1930's, based on the reel seat hardware.

Montague used several Native American model names for their rods, including the Manitou, Red Wing, Iroquois and Samoset, but did not embellish any of its rods in this fashion, that I know of.

The markings were definitely added after production. Nice work.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

TommyThomas
Sport

Post by TommyThomas »

I want to thank all of you for your informative replies. I have already started restoration in repairing a break in the tip section I found under some old wraps. I restore bamboo rods for sale and clients. I will not strip this one but install a high gloss two part epoxy on the entire butt section to preserve the petroglyths. You are right this is beautiful ink work to say the least. I have been able to define most of the images. I live in the Smoky Mountains near the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians and plan to get their help on the ones I can't define. I will polish the ferrules, snakes and reel seat and clean the grip to like new. I am going to stain the break to match the balance of the rod and install rattan clear wraps for support but don't think it needs it. Thank you again. Tommy

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Rattan clear wraps??? I think you mean silk clear wraps. Are you the guy who sells the redone rods and banty rods on Fleabay? Why not try spar varnish or urethane?
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

TommyThomas
Sport

Post by TommyThomas »

No I am not that guy but I like the monacure of fleabay. I use urethane on all rods after stripping but the epoxy coating will last and protect all of our lifetimes.
What color silk do you use for clear wraps?
Tommy
By the way rattan is a Pro Wrap RNS-A-701 color.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Being from New Mexico, in the heart of the Southwest, I see symbols like that all the time. I may have at one time or another known what some of them mean to Native Americans. But, being as forgetful as I am, I'm not even going to hazard a guess at the meanings. Most are recognizable, but I did want to comment to the quality of the handiwork. I can barely read my name after I try printing it with India Ink, whether it's on a piece of bamboo on on a piece of paper. If you're going to recondition, repair, refurbish, or what ever to that rod, I'd take very good care not to destroy those symbols! One symbol that I am sure of is the one that is round with a latticework netting in the circle with the feather attached by a leather thong. That is call a "Dream Catcher!" It is said that if you hang one in the window of your bedroom, it will catch all of your good dreams and not them let escape you!

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Gosh I didn’t know rattan was a color!!! It’s confusing cause rattan is a thin type of cane used for fly rod grips and woven furniture!

For silk clear wraps you would use white (for any rod) or a pale yellow silk (for blond rods mostly)

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

"Rattan" is indeed a color, but I've never seen it offered in rod wrapping threads.

TommyThomas
Sport

Post by TommyThomas »

Thank you for all of your comments. I have completed the restoration and protected the entire rod with 2 part high gloss epoxy.
The rattan protection covering of the brake worked beautifully.
I have decided to present the rod to the Principal Chief of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians for his care and custidy.
I suspect he will place it in the Qualla Boundary Museum.
Tommy Thomas

By the way my next project is a rod for my personal collection that I have wanted for a long time.
A Hardy Palakona The Gold Metal Rod from 1922. I do need a tip top if any one has one laying around.
It has the full cork grip in 3 2 configuration. All sections are full length except the second tip that is down
about 5 inches. 100 years can play havoc by the animal we call Big Foot.
There a few chips in the red finish if you assembled ears have any suggestions?

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”