Cast a bunch of rods yesterday, here are some thoughts:

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Dana Gray's "Carlson" quad, 7 and a half 4wt: VERY nice rod, was really excited to get a chance to discover it. I felt immediately confident with it. Powerful quad with grace, didn't feel overpowered like it would slap water. The finish was excellent, the kind of rod you can ogle for sure. I'll be keeping an eye out for one of these.

RW Summers Perfectionist: I got to cast a few Paul Young rods yesterday and I dug them. I probably wouldn't fish the heavier parabolics unless I was just launching streamers, but I see their merit and how they could compliment others. I felt this rod was authoritative for its weight yet light in hand. As I was casting it it made me suspect that if I had one shot at one fish with one fly this is the rod I may choose. The aesthetics and finish of this rod were beyond stunning.

Brandin's Quad Perfectionist: Similar to above with a bit more feel and lighter in hand. Per's rods defy my ideas and expectations. Sometimes I like a little weight in my 'boo to encourage the taper, but this rod seemed to cast the line as nicely with less effort and weight (this is extreme first world hair splitting). Magical, and his grip is extremely comfortable. I love how Bob Summers comments on rods in his listings saying, "I could cast this all day." This is a rod I could cast all day, it would just graft itself onto my hand and just become an extension of my body, as they say.

Pentalux Rods: I knew the least about these rods upon discovering them, and I cast a few of these beauties and was extremely impressed. These 5 sided rods play with the geometry of the shape, lengthening the height/width of certain walls to generate power and feel in unique ways and the results are impressive. There's one model with a broader base that offers a bit more feel and another with Taller side walls to generate power. Both versions do a magnificent job using their own strength to pick up line and send it, often without the need of a false cast or two to generate momentum. I was able to cast these rods as far, if not farther than other rods in equivalent weights. I wasn't using an indicator or fly but I suspect that they are extremely accurate as well. An 8' 5wt with the tall walls really shined for me, but each model had the Pentalux DNA.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Cast a bunch of rods yesterday, here are some thoughts:

Post by PYochim »

Where did you have the opportunity to cast these?

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

With a friend of a friend

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Dave, what a joy to read this post as I open up Clark's. I just returned from a 3 1/2 day fishing jaunt, and I fished two of the makers you mention, Summers and Brandin. I totally agree with your observations.

I bought a 1962 Summers-made Perfectionist a couple of years back, pricey stick, but Bob apparently built it as a young man and later completely restored the rod to factory fresh. A rare situation so I bit the wallet and bought it. I fished it this trip with silk (for the first time) and it seemed about as perfect as its name implies. And right next to it in performance was a Brandin 255 cm (translates to near 7.4") spliced model. I would be hard-pressed to give one or the other an edge, but if forced into a corner the Brandin would prevail due to the hollow-build and absence of ferrule. I handed it to my graphite pal to cast, a rare thing for him. He seemed taken, impressed, smooth he said. In his reverie a trout slashed at the fly, and he missed it. I laffed and laffed.

Thanks for the post.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Thanks for the review.

What I always wonder is how a rod being a ‘big name’ influences what one think about the rod. Is it possible to think a Brandin is just so-so?... ::)

In the plastic world it's basically fast faster fastest. If folks cast a Sage/Winston/etc. they are impressed. Hand them an Echo and it's a lot less impressive. Blindfold them and cast the rods, I doubt they will know what's a Sage :rollin

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Sure, it's possible. I met Per years back at a tackle meet in Santa Rosa, California, when he was in the early years of his career. At the time pal Art told me to buy one of his rods, a 7' for four; they were about $900 at the time. I thought that was too high because I could find Grangers, Orvis and even Leonards for less. That was then.

We cast rods on the lawn, and I actually had trouble stroking the Brandin tapers. After that I was still unsure about buying one, as said, that was then. I am converted on the road to Damascus, whaza! One last memory from that day, Per was throwing the nicest, tightest and neatest forward loop I had ever seen. Art was damn good, too. I vowed then and there to train myself. The Damascus moment is not the end, but the beginning of the journey. And that, friends, is thy sermon of cane for the day.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Flykuni3 wrote:
07/24/20 14:21
Dave, what a joy to read this post as I open up Clark's. I just returned from a 3 1/2 day fishing jaunt, and I fished two of the makers you mention, Summers and Brandin. I totally agree with your observations.

I bought a 1962 Summers-made Perfectionist a couple of years back, pricey stick, but Bob apparently built it as a young man and later completely restored the rod to factory fresh. A rare situation so I bit the wallet and bought it. I fished it this trip with silk (for the first time) and it seemed about as perfect as its name implies. And right next to it in performance was a Brandin 255 cm (translates to near 7.4") spliced model. I would be hard-pressed to give one or the other an edge, but if forced into a corner the Brandin would prevail due to the hollow-build and absence of ferrule. I handed it to my graphite pal to cast, a rare thing for him. He seemed taken, impressed, smooth he said. In his reverie a trout slashed at the fly, and he missed it. I laffed and laffed.

Thanks for the post.
You're welcome! I tend to instantly regret making these posts. Truthfully, I don't feel seasoned enough to write such reviews. However, I have no one to talk to about this stuff!

I'm seriously considering trying to acquire a Perfectionist at some point. Some other purchases I made recently will not allow me to consider it for a while.

As for the Brandins........ I don't think they're over hyped in the least. I truly believe they are different for the better. In fact, my recent experiences with them have reshaped my views on bamboo-- on what's possible, and on what makes a rod great and otherwise. I think the main commonality of his that really separates his offerings from the pack is that they feel perfectly balanced in hand. I think Per's hollowing/taper designs are very considerate of this and in the heavier weights/longer lengths really shines. Before his rods I did not believe I could comfortably cast an 8'6" rod. However, not only can I cast his rods of that length, but I can comfortably handle them all day AND feel that my casting is excelling.

However, I do agree that some rods get extra points for reputation. Without naming names I have a higher end rod that I think is a real turd. Not the first, either.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

That's just being honest, no problem here. I've gone through a lot of bamboo, keeping the ones I fish because I fish my collection. No rod is safe from the water, nay, I collect and I fish 'em. And yeah, I have sold off some names because I spoke to them and they just didn't answer my call. Including a...Garrison. Gasp or not.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Flykuni3 wrote:
07/24/20 15:32
That's just being honest, no problem here. I've gone through a lot of bamboo, keeping the ones I fish because I fish my collection. No rod is safe from the water, nay, I collect and I fish 'em. And yeah, I have sold off some names because I spoke to them and they just didn't answer my call. Including a...Garrison. Gasp or not.
I have not cast a Garrison and am disinterested in clones, but I hear this one a lot. Makes you wonder is the hype in that case ruins it for some.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

We hosted a program at last year's Bamboo Bash which allowed folks to try their rods with the same reel and various different lines. There were at least 4 (IIRC) different lines in each line weight. Folks were absolutely amazed at the difference in rod feel with the different lines, and more than once we heard, "It felt like a totally different rod...", or "I didn't realize....". If more folks tried different lines on their rods there possibly wouldn't be as much trading or buying.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

czkid wrote:
07/24/20 15:51
We hosted a program at last year's Bamboo Bash which allowed folks to try their rods with the same reel and various different lines. There were at least 4 (IIRC) different lines in each line weight. Folks were absolutely amazed at the difference in rod feel with the different lines, and more than once we heard, "It felt like a totally different rod...", or "I didn't realize....". If more folks tried different lines on their rods there possibly wouldn't be as much trading or buying.
Truth

I got a rod last month that I thought was a dog, but after the 3rd line I put on it it came alive and I started breathing again, haha.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Agree, maybe the rod I once owned needed the right silk, or the right Sylk. But oh well, life goes on and I am extremely happy with my collection, and how they fish.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

There is a strong relationship between the PHY Perfectionist and the Brandin quad parabolic tapers. As recorded in the Paul H. Young Database, Per Brandin reported that he was familiar with a particular Summers-built Young rod, PHY Perfectionist serial #4503, "since just after I started fly fishing. It belonged to Clem Fullerton, who was also active in the Croton Watershed Chapter of TU in the late 60s and into the 80s. Clem showed the rod to me many years ago and I measured it with a micrometer in the 1970s and it became the basic starting point for my own quad parabolic designs." About a dozen years ago I visited Per Brandin and cast Clem Fullerton's PHY Perfectionist. The rod fired long, smooth casts and was everything one could ask for in a trout rod. The mention of a Summers-built Young rod that dates to 1962 reminds me that in six days, I will have owned PHY Martha Marie #4020 for exactly thirty years. It was built by Bob Summers and finished on February 21, 1962.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Wow, great rod history details, thanks quash-mon.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Regarding Per Brandin's Perfectionist variant, I once asked Steve Jenkins about ten years ago, who he thought was the best rodmaker. He said, without reservation, "Per Brandin."

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

billems wrote:
07/24/20 20:38
Regarding Per Brandin's Perfectionist variant, I once asked Steve Jenkins about ten years ago, who he thought was the best rodmaker. He said, without reservation, "Per Brandin."
Has anyone ever posed that question to Mr. Brandin?

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Not sure, but Per praises other makers in his Sale section very nicely. He might be too gentlemanly to single out one.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Flykuni3 wrote:
07/25/20 00:54
Not sure, but Per praises other makers in his Sale section very nicely. He might be too gentlemanly to single out one.
He does have some very nice rods on his site and the descriptions are quite eloquent.

DaveNJ, have you ever cast a rod made by Jim Reams? I have an 8'3" of his that is stunning.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

PYochim wrote:
07/30/20 07:59
Flykuni3 wrote:
07/25/20 00:54
He does have some very nice rods on his site and the descriptions are quite eloquent.

DaveNJ, have you ever cast a rod made by Jim Reams? I have an 8'3" of his that is stunning.
I have not, but I'd love to cast one. I really want to check out Leon Hanson and Chris Vance's work as well.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Don’t forget to try a Cris Carpenter rod

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”