Hardy JJH Triumph 8ft 9inch 6wt.

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Steveriley

Hardy JJH Triumph 8ft 9inch 6wt.

Post by Steveriley »

Hi all, new member so please be gentle. 😁 A while ago I purchased the above rod which had been refurbed with different guides and longer whippings. It’s a beautiful rod and am happy with it apart from one confusing issue. Although the rod is exactly 8ft 9 inches as it should be and states so on the rod the two sections as far as I am aware were originally exactly the same length. The tip section on mine is 11/2inches shorter than the butt. But the rod is exactly 8 ft 9 inches. If there was a break in the tip section before wouldn’t the rod be shorter than 8 ft 9inches. A bit confused and new to all this. Maybe they made a few with slightly shorter tips on this model. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Regards. Steve

jnygaardsvold
Sport

Re: Hardy JJH Triumph 8ft 9inch 6wt.

Post by jnygaardsvold »

I have ca. 20 Hardy rods including JJT, and the tips are always one or two inches shorter than the butt.
Johan (Norway)

Steveriley

Post by Steveriley »

Thanks for the reply, seems all is OK then. It really is a lovely rod and look forward to using it with Marquis No6. 👍

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

It's a Hardy thing...others experimented with it as well...

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Seems like the top guide is much too close to the tip top. Doesn't look right to me. Looks like it's been broken and shortened, IMO, but without seeing the entire rod it's hard to tell.

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

British rod info:
Your split bamboo rod, JJH TRiumph ,either 2 or 3 pieces, original length 8’ 9” was made from the year 1933 through 1971. It was reintroduced in 1980 for 1 year. There should be some numbers or letters on the lower butt section on it, to confirm the year date. From the poster notes it appears the rod is the correct length

Palakona123
Guide

Post by Palakona123 »

All british rods have a tips that are about 1 1/2 short. The cane itself is the same length for both sections, but the ferrules makes them different in length. If the tip stopps where the cane stopps in the female ferrule, it is correct. In american rods the cane is of different lengths, but with ferrules they are the same. Personaly i prefer the british way as it gives a tad more protection for the tips.

jnygaardsvold
Sport

Post by jnygaardsvold »

In my jungle of bamboo rods I found my JJT, and the lenght between the last snake ring and the tip top is ca.9cm .
Johan

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”