A Paul H. Young Co. rod owner for 30 years

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: A Paul H. Young Co. rod owner for 30 years

Post by billems »

Quash: You qualify as the true monomaniac on forum of OCD sufferers. I admire your dedication to Young's rods, and you're work to preserve the company's history. And I ALWAYS enjoy reading your posts.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

To have taken over a storied rod like that and to not only have retained it for so long, but also to have fished it throughout, does you great credit quash.

winston59
Master Guide

Post by winston59 »

Congratulations on keeping the rod in excellent condition.
Robert

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

I am in the process of building a Martha Marie, everything's complete with the exception of the grip and guide placement. On the original rod shown at the beginning of this topic, can anyone offer any feedback on the type of thread,nylon/silk used and the color for this rod? Also did Paul Young make his own reel seat hardware? I am curious about that although I would assume he did.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

I believe that the original thread was a beige silk, Holland 319. Paul Young was not a machinist and did not make his own hardware.* He didn't need to do so because, in the mid-20th century, hundreds of machine shops were located in the Detroit area. In between orders from the car companies, these machine shops were available to fabricate anything Paul Young wanted. However, Bob Summers was (and is) an excellent machinist. He had not been working at the PHY shop for very long before he started to share the idea that rod hardware could be produced in-house. I don't know at what point Bob may have started to do this work for the Paul H. Young Co.

* EDIT: Right after World War II, August O. Pernack set up a ferrule making operation for Paul Young, so ferrules were made in house for a few years. The two men had a falling out, and Young largely switched to Super-Z ferrules in the early 1950s.
Last edited by quashnet on 12/04/21 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

CouleeCountryCane
Guide

Post by CouleeCountryCane »

Thank you for sharing this milestone anniversary with all of us here, and for adding some of the stories written between you and this rod and with Mr. Beall before you. Keepers of the Flame(d), indeed.

Tom
In Miami, south of trout (but not for much longer)

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Mr. Beall write many letters with Gary Howells and they are in the University of Montana library, Bud Lilly collection. I forgot which Howells rods he owned but will check my records and see if I can find out. Joe Beelart may have better notes than I do.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Thanks for the information, Robert. Always great to learn more about my favorite rod builder.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Booman2 wrote:
12/04/21 21:01
Mr. Beall write many letters with Gary Howells and they are in the University of Montana library, Bud Lilly collection. I forgot which Howells rods he owned but will check my records and see if I can find out. Joe Beelart may have better notes than I do.
The letter (circa 1974) from George Beall to Gary Howells in Joe Beelart's book mentions his order for an 8'6" 4oz. rod with screwlock for a 4/5wt line (Kingfisher No. 2 was Beall's anticipated line for it).

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”