RW Lancaster 4 piece with 2 “upper” mids

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

cregb
Master Guide

RW Lancaster 4 piece with 2 “upper” mids

Post by cregb »

Just received a 4 piece RW Lancaster Bow River rod which I understand to be a Para 15 interpretation. This one is different from other Lancaster 4 piece rods I’ve seen where there are two 3rd sections that are marked similarly to what I am assuming are different tips, each denoted by either a single or dual color tip wrap.

I’m aware of the Para 15 and other PHY parabolic with wet and dry tips, but are there any with different mid sections too? Or was this possibly a way to provide a more disparate action for the same butt and lower mid? Any thoughts appreciated.

dshx
Master Guide

Re: RW Lancaster 4 piece with 2 “upper” mids

Post by dshx »

Have you actually mic'd them to validate the mids are different?

-Dwight

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Dwight,

Not yet, as I just picked the rod up today and plan on doing that at work with a digital micrometer. Good point that I am assuming a difference. Just not sure what the purpose of two identical 3rd sections might be, though.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Hi Creg, neat that you scored that rod. I saw it when it was listed and thought it was a very interesting example and was not surprised that it sold so quickly. My thoughts were that on a rod with short two foot sections that an extra upper mid in addition to the tips made sense in terms of fishing rotation to reduce the chance of sets and rod stress on those sections, and also as a spare in case of breakage or a hook whack. But your point suggesting the upper mids having a wet fly and dry fly taper to them which matches the tips is very sensible, and upper mid and tip together would of course equal the four foot tip section length on a typical Para 15. It will be interesting how they mic.

I’m curious Creg, what does the rod weigh? Somewhere in the 4 1/2 to 5 ounce range? With the extra 2 ferrules does it feel much different than two piece Para 15’s?

Enjoy it, I hope it serves you well!

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Bob made some 4 pcers with 2 tips (5 pc total) as well as some with 2 mid-tips and 2 tips (6 pc total). There wasn't much to it other than to have 2 full length spare tips akin to a 2/2, and some people prefer that to using the same mid-tip all the time.....that particular Lancaster Para 15-type rod that Selb had in 4 pc has identical mid-tips and tips. Not surprising, since I've never seen, or been told of, a 4 pcer where Bob L. tried the wet/dry tip approach.
The MM 4 pc clone that Selb also has belonged to Mac Seaholm's wife, Barbara, and it very lightly used. It's a bit lighter in the hand that the Bow, but still very capable, and has a great ventilated grip and those knurled rings that Bob made himself....
Both those rods are from the 80s, and use standard ferrules of the time. Many of the later Lancaster's use truncated ferrules, and they produce a lighter rod for sure.
I can tell you Lancaster made a few uncataloged models in both 2/2 and 4/2, and almost all are Young style (either copying Young tapers, or stretching/extending tapers).
If you can get your hands on his 4pc Perfectionist (Perfect 4) or his 4 pc Driggs (Savage River), or any of the rarer Young/Young-derived taper 4pcers, give them a try. Especially nice are the ones with taper regression ahead of the winding check.
The only Young rod that he made in the standard 3/2 (and, of course), 2/2, was his interpretation of the Midge, called the Baetis.
FWIW, the rod Bob travelled with for many, many years to Yellowstone and the Big Horn was an early version of the Savage River. Also, he told me that he thought the MM was his best 4 pc model, though I personally do not agree.

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Adrien and Creaky,

Thanks so much for your replies. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Creg

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Curious to hear some feedback on the way the rod casts. I almost bought it the minute it hit the sight., but it would have went on the list of thins i really don't need at the moment. I thought it was unique and i never fished a Para 15.

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Joe,

Will report on that once I get a chance. Having a hard time to even go fishing these days but am curious how it will respond to different lines as it’s the first new rod for me in quite awhile. I imagine it will be a different beast for me since I’ve only owned a AJ Perfectionist 4 wt. parabolic in the past.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

It will work fine with most any 5 or 6 wt line, and is made for stripping big streamers for fish that are measured in pounds. Or, maybe watching and sight casting to a rising brown of a lifetime with a big beetle. That's it, you have to take it to NZ or Argentina! (Those are the destinations Bob's clients actually had in mind for those early 4 pcers).

Noonan

Post by Noonan »

I have one of Mac's 2 piece para 15 rods. It definitely has the ability to throw a long line. Mine is a 4 weight though.

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Now I have to find a RW Lancaster 4 piece for travel and going out west, would like a 5 wt. Maybe Bob will get back to building with any luck, he is a great guy.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

I have a Lancaster Big Horn, 7 1/2 foot, 2/2 based on the Para 15. It is a most enjoyable casting and a marvelous fishing rod.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”