Wes Jordan Special leather tube

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

greyreefer5
Guide

Wes Jordan Special leather tube

Post by greyreefer5 »

Just recieved 7.5 2/2 Wes Jordan Special. Very nice rod in almost(?) unfished condition. Question: There is no inner cap for this rod. Just top of tube with a very sharp edge, as if a collar and cap should be there. I did not take the aluminum tube out of the leather tube all the way, but there is no Orvis label on the inner tube. Seems stange, is this original setup for this rod?

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Wes Jordan Special leather tube

Post by Short Tip »

Others will confirm that this is the correct and original setup. DO NOT try to take the aluminum tube out of the leather cover, it is meant to stay there forever.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

greyreefer5
Guide

Post by greyreefer5 »

THANKS so much for the info------ Very cool to have access to so many knowledgeable people on this forum, if you are still looking at this, does someone know what this sold for new (Wes Jordan Special) in 1969?

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

The 1969 Orvis Spring catalog lists the 7 1/2' Wes Jordon for $215. That year the 7 1/2' Battenkill sold for $135.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Actually, you can remove the aluminum tube from the leather sleeve (there's no label). I've done so with all my Orvis leather tubes for repairs to the straps and buckles.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”