Wood handled bamboo fly rods?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: Wood handled bamboo fly rods?

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I thought I would update this post with a picture of a Heddon #60 and South Bend #55 walnut handled rods that I managed to obtain. The Heddon is now my absolute favorite rod and I can't really imagine another ever taking its place. ANd for a low end rod, the South Bend is very nice as well. Still say that wood handles are the way to go... And if any of you have wood handled bamboo rods that you want to sell, send me a PM!

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Chopper
Sport

Post by Chopper »

Those are absolutely beautiful. I’m jealous!

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Fluted black walnut, sumac, or sheet cork strips over a lighter wood were the standard offerings on the C F Orvis rods during the late 1800's.

toothybugs
Master Guide

Post by toothybugs »

Admittedly most of my building these days is on graphite and glass blanks but I have an ultralight cane build going as well. With graphite, wood grips risk putting a rigid fulcrum point on the blank and I have seen rods snap at the grip more than once. With my cane build, while not really fearing the blank breaking, I put a cork buffer section ahead of the grip.I also got creative and built the reel seat insert into the rear portion of the grip. With a little reel, like a 1-3wt would require, the extra wood offsets the rod weight and it swings virtually weightlessly. It's not quite finished yet but I am very much looking forward to taking it out on the water.

- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Here’s a few of mine....

Chopper
Sport

Post by Chopper »

Who is the maker on those? They’re beautiful!

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Thanks Chopper, they’re mine. I’ve done 30+ mortised swelled wood grips and several other wood grips. Not building yet....just redoing bamboo, 60+ blue collar so far! Lots of other pictures.....

Chopper
Sport

Post by Chopper »

Well done sir! Thanks for sharing!

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Glad you like them, here’s my version of a Granger Hotrod......in black and white.

Chopper
Sport

Post by Chopper »

Beautiful rod, great photography!

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Just a couple quick questions about wooden grips on fly rods. Are they harder to hold on to when they get wet? I guess what I mean is are they slippery when they get wet? And how much heavier does a wooden grip make the fly rod?

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Just a couple quick questions about wooden grips on fly rods. Are they harder to hold on to when they get wet? I guess what I mean is are they slippery when they get wet? And how much heavier does a wooden grip make the fly rod?
They can be slightly slipperier, but usually not enough to make a difference. And with regard to weight, if you had an extremely heavy rod that you fished all day long you night notice it. But for the rods I have, I usually go out for at most half a day and the weight has never once bothered me. On the contrary, I like the greater weight because it gives you a much better feel for where the rod is and what it's doing, in my opinion.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

toothybugs wrote:
01/20/21 10:53
Admittedly most of my building these days is on graphite and glass blanks but I have an ultralight cane build going as well. With graphite, wood grips risk putting a rigid fulcrum point on the blank and I have seen rods snap at the grip more than once. With my cane build, while not really fearing the blank breaking, I put a cork buffer section ahead of the grip.I also got creative and built the reel seat insert into the rear portion of the grip. With a little reel, like a 1-3wt would require, the extra wood offsets the rod weight and it swings virtually weightlessly. It's not quite finished yet but I am very much looking forward to taking it out on the water.

Nate, cool work! Working with wood, chip off the old block, eh?

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”