Colorado Vintage Fly Fishing

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

ckhaney

Post by ckhaney »

After following the Forum for a few years now, and getting great information in the process, I decided to introduce myself. I started Colorado Vintage Fly Fishing in 2017 after retiring from a career in architecture. This represents a longtime dream for me; preserving and sharing vintage fly fishing tackle while still allowing time for fishing!

I grew up in Colorado, fishing with his father and grandfather, so I was exposed early in life to the sport of fly fishing. I guess that it was my background in architecture that gave me an appreciation for history and well-designed objects. The logical result of these influences is my desire to collect, restore and share these beautiful bamboo and fiberglass fly rods and reels.

My focus is on those medium-priced rods and reels that many anglers remember from their youth, and that others are just beginning to appreciate.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Craig Haney
www.colovff.com

kilgore
Master Guide

Re: Colorado Vintage Fly Fishing

Post by kilgore »

Went through your offerings and indeed it is good to see a sight that sells medium priced reels and rods. Not in the market for anything just now but will keep you in mind. Do you think that offering rods needing to be refinished would be doable?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Hello Craig,

Joe U here, we've done some business together. I believe that I purchased a Heddon BSF from you and sold you a Youg Orvis Battenkill. Thanks for coming out.

Cheers,
Joe

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

I like it.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

I like your site, too. Don't have to take out a second mortgage. Hope you do well.
Mark

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Very nice! Well done to be sure. Clearly a labor of love.
Good on yah!

uppercreek
Guide

Post by uppercreek »

Very nice site! I graduated from a school of Architecture with a degree in planning, so I can appreciate your aesthetic sensibilities.
I like the blogs, also. One little nitpick - you mention mass produced rods like Montague and Horrocks-Ibbotson having little or no value in one of them - I think you should insert the word "usually" because, as I'm sure you are aware, Montague made some very fine and desirable hand crafted rods like the Manitou model and even H-I made some good fishable rods like the Tonka series or the earlier Princess models.
Your site is inspiring and if I wasn't so protective of my fishing time I would try to emulate it. I will bookmark it.
Best,
Kevin

ckhaney

Post by ckhaney »

Thanks for all of your input!

Kilgore: Unfortunately there is so little margin on rods that need restoration that I tend to either avoid them or restore them myself if I take them on trade or buy them in a group.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Craig--

Welcome! I like your site, and I hope you do well with it!

Havana
Sport

Post by Havana »

Nice site, congratulations and lots of luck!
Some days I fish, the rest are wasted

BearBio
Sport

Post by BearBio »

Like your offerings and like your prices but your pictures need improvement, Can't tell anything from them.

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

Wishing you the best of success with your adventure. We would like to see lots of Colorado cane, such as the many fine Goodwin Granger and W & M Granger models. Best,Paul

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Great site and depth of topics, diving in!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”