Today's Wall Street Journal

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Havana
Sport

Re: Today's Wall Street Journal

Post by Havana »

I was on the phone with Marc recently and he said the volume in used/vintage tackle was amazing. It's probably a mix of new folks getting in to the sport, and some of us stuck inside with time and money saved for trips that were cancelled. I'm glad he's doing well, though I hope he gets a little more time to get back to making rods.
My one concern was the article's mention of Jimmy Kimmel. I don't want the world thinking it's only rich Hollywood types at fancy lodges...
Some days I fish, the rest are wasted

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The boom seemed to last 3-4 months. After the most crowded spring in memory, I’m fishing by myself again. Like not seeing anybody all day.

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

Seems to me there was a similar "Boom" in the mid eighties??? Perhaps after "A River Runs Through It" went to the big screen?? I worked at a great sport shop and could recall people coming in and throwing down their corporate credit cards wanting to be outfitted with the best of everything and look like the guy in the movie!! I saw the numbers of people on stream steadily increase.....then as the years went by the numbers declined a bit. The ones truly drawn to it will stay, and those that came to the scene because it was popular will mostly fade away. My hope is that with increasing numbers comes increasing awareness and protection of our resources. I mean when I started, it was common to see guys gathered showing off their creels of limits......I honestly can not say I have seen anything like that in a lot of years.

Paul

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”