Hans Roeper

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

joep
Master Guide

Hans Roeper

Post by joep »

I just finished talking to Bob Selb and paying for a Hans Roeper 7' 4wt Hunt model. That rod has been up on his site for what seems like years. I always looked at it when i went on his site. That being said, there is very little about him in the archives, does anyone know much about him or fish his rods regularly

Arubey
Guide

Re: Hans Roeper

Post by Arubey »

I have a 6' 3 piece, 4/5wt rod from Hans. I didn't know much about the rod's (or Mr Roper's) history when I found it, but the price was right.

It's a remarkable little rod, can cast quite a bit of line and is a much more competent fishing tool than I tend to imagine a 6' rod to be. I took it along to the Colorado Rodmakers Reunion a couple years ago, and many people were frankly amazed by the little rod and how far they could cast with it. One of these days I'll get around to taking some measurements and learning a bit more about the rod.

In reading about Hans Roeper I have occasionally come across references to Leonard, and at least once read that he was a Leonard employee for a period of time. At CRR I was able to show the rod to Bobby Taylor who knew Hans. He said the Leonard employment statement was incorrect, but that Mr. Roeper's rods often showed quite a bit of Leonard influence.

And here is one which belonged to a forum member and neighbor of mine. It's a 7' 4wt, which was restored by Guenter Henseler. The cosmetics are a bit different than what I've seen on other Roepers so I'm not sure how "true" the restoration was to the original. Although, the few Roepers I've seen vary quite a bit cosmetically so perhaps it is accurate. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to cast or fish this rod and don't recall ever hearing my neighbor's opinion of it.

Joep - now that you have your rod, what are your impressions?

best,
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

I don't have it yet, it should have went out today. Since it is only a state over i should have it tomorrow or Thursday. Being that is a "hunt' i purchased it with the thought of it being fast dry fly. It seems like everything listed is listed as "medium fast dry fly" so that never helps. I like full working rods, but i wanted something that could flick some line in tight cover. I just got a text from a forum members who is putting me in touch with someone who new Hans. When i get more info i will post it so there is some historical info about the guy searchable on the forum.

salmonid1
Guide

Post by salmonid1 »

Although would not consider him an intimate friend, I knew Hans Roeper and in fact bought a few rods from his widow some time after his passing in Middletown, NY. Hans never split cane and any rod that you see with his name on it was made from a blank usually from a distinguished manufacture. Many of his rods were made from Leonard blanks back when they were highly available after the bankruptcy sale. But some were lesser rods made from Phillipson blanks or other production companies. He did some nice finish work but there is no such thing as a Roeper rod in that he never made a rod from beginning to end but relied completely on the excess blanks from companies of the time. There is little historical significance to Hans except that he was finishing rods in a more or less good manner. His varnish was always too heavy and the value of his rods would lay in the value of the blanks used. Carmine Lisella, Jordan-Mills Rod Co., NY

salmonid1
Guide

Post by salmonid1 »

To sum up -- there is no Hans Roeper Rod. There is no Roeper taper or distinction, no particular method of building, no material action or method, no distinct Roeper type. He made rods from whatever blanks were available but generally used blanks from known companies whose rods were in general good casting, well built blanks. Carmine Lisella

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

I have to have someone cast my rod, it looks like a hunt, but I have never casted a hunt to know what one casts like. Interesting. Thanks.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Thankfully I didn't pay "historical significance " money. I paid "good fishable" money. The rod looks and casts good.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”