Information/Value of Heddon #2030 E

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

popkorn

Information/Value of Heddon #2030 E

Post by popkorn »

Hi everyone. I inherited a bunch of vintage rods from a relative and am seeking identification. I've read the Heddon page, but am looking for your thoughts. Please ask me any questions that may help you guys. Im thinking Deluxe Pal, but the red but cap throws me to the Thorobred.

Then I have some others that look very similar, but no markings. Maybe early Heddons. But lets start with this one first.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Re: Information/Value of Heddon #2030 E

Post by Woodlakejag »

That’s a fiberglass (or painted tubular steel?) rod, not bamboo. Neat rod though...probably fun to fish.

Here’s a similar one
https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers/240
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

popkorn

Post by popkorn »

thanks for the link woodlakejag. good to know some information about that rod. i'll use it to compare the others.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

It's made of steel. Grab a magnet. Appears to have been built in May of 1951, if the code date I see on the shaft reads "E-1".

popkorn

Post by popkorn »

Thanks wrong66. I did grab a magnet and indeed it is steel. Thanks for the production date information. Where did you go to locate that information? I've been researching and have had little to no luck on the gear I have.

Any ideas on this unmarked rod? I've tried to identify via the handle with no luck.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Double post sorry
Last edited by BigTJ on 10/21/20 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The ferrules on Rod 1 appear to be mangled. Do they fit together? Doesn’t look like they do. If that’s the case most of the value is in the reel seat and it’s not a lot.

Second rod looks a bit worked over including possible shortened sections / ferrule issues. Could be a decent fishing stick with a bit of love. Somebody will know the maker more likely than not. It looks like it could be an early heddon that was re wrapped and had the reel seat replaced, the winding check grip and cane look Heddonish and the wraps / reel seat look after-market.

Bag and tube also look Heddonish. Too bad the label was pulled off. Is there any writing on the cap to the tube?

After a closer look the butt female and mid ferrules looks Heddonish but the male tips don’t. Bluing on the butt ferrules but not the apparent replacement tip ferrules and winding check. Different color wraps with the one on the butt ferrule looking original. A couple modern thicker wire chrome guides. So the rod looks worked over pretty well to me at least one tip short. Better ferrule pics and a pic with all sections lined up will help those that follow who have a lot more knowledge than me.

Again a nice project rod - re do the ferrules get the wraps functioning in a few places touch up the varnish and catch some fish. Probably worth $50 - 100 as it sits if the tube is a Heddon.

John

PS the shape of the male end of the male ferrules actually look about right so I might just be thrown off by the re-wrap. Close ups would help. Original tip ferrules would help the value a bit.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

popkorn wrote:
10/21/20 09:31
Thanks wrong66. I did grab a magnet and indeed it is steel. Thanks for the production date information. Where did you go to locate that information? I've been researching and have had little to no luck on the gear I have.

Any ideas on this unmarked rod? I've tried to identify via the handle with no luck.

Joan Lyons at the Heddon Museum. Probably 18 years ago. Since then, I've handled dozens of Heddon steel rods.
Mark

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”