Rod tube rack

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

toothybugs
Master Guide

Re: Rod tube rack

Post by toothybugs »

Mine isn't anywhere near as pretty as everyone else's but does the job. It just sits in the basement since my manroom isn't anywhere near finished (nor started, for that matter). A hole saw, few sheets of MDF and some 2x2s made it work. This is just a template for the final one when I need a display model.

My trick for expansion was dually planned and inadvertent. I over-ordered from Landmark a number of tubes so they are effectively just space fillers, and if anyone asks, "don't worry most of them are empty." Though they are filling, no one will ever know :)

The others simply don't fit. Those little 1-5/8" diameter tubes take up a lot less space than the nylon-covered PVC tubes that don't fit even in the 2-1/4" holes so there is a substantial stack next to the rack. Plus the empties that I bought in bulk from a local big box fly shop (turns out most folks who buy a fly rod don't even ask for its tube, they just take it off the rack and walk away). It's kind of absurd. I don't want to know how many empty tubes there are, nor get an exact count on the rods.

This is what it looked like 2 years ago when it was fresh and new and still pretty empty.

- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

I’ve displayed this a few times previously... now filled so will need to build another upon adjacent wall or double up in front - simple and have no difficulty finding a particular rod...

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

So, mine is more 'utilitarian', and much less aesthetically pleasing. I bought a blueprint rack from Amazon - it has 20 slots, each slot is 2-3/4 square. Some of the smaller, skinnier tubes can be doubled up. Has wheels, so its mobile, and that was a compromise with someone else that lives here. I didn't search extensively for one with smaller slots, but it might exist. Things seem pretty stable, but it looks like I actually need more than 20 slots.

spm
Sport

Post by spm »

I've posted this here, before. Got the pattern and advice on the build from fellow member,aged_sage. The slots in the two end holes are for strung rods that I might be working on.

Thanks,
steve

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Salar4me wrote:
09/08/21 12:29
I’ve displayed this a few times previously... now filled so will need to build another upon adjacent wall or double up in front - simple and have no difficulty finding a particular rod...

Really nice rack. I noticed that ceiling fan though. I would never, ever recommend a ceiling fan in a rod room.

bb

TFHough
Sport

Post by TFHough »

I worked in retail for years. I made this from discarded, heavy, wire display racks common in many stores. Same for the woven, plastic sidewalls. It has 64, 2.25" square openings and has internal shelves to handle shorter rods, down to 7-piece travel tubes. Yeah, it is full.

flyfishalso
Sport

Post by flyfishalso »

A lot of interesting rod storage. For me I converted my late fathers 1950's gun cabinet into a rod rack. Using barn wood I was able to put 24 rods in the cabinet. Currently 1 graphite rod, 1 fiberglass rod and the rest cane.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Salar4me wrote:
09/08/21 12:29
This is exactly what i need when i build my office/fishing room next year. That looks great.

uniphasian
Global Moderator

Post by uniphasian »

I use something like the one JMQ4 posted - an old map rack that was being tossed from work when we moved to digital maps. It was intended to hold about 60 rolled 4' x 4' maps vertically. I'd show a picture of mine, but it entirely too self-indulgent.

Here's a smaller, close approximation that I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KNDL8K/re ... UTF8&psc=1

I took a bunch of small diameter tubing that has a split length-wise and covered the wire mesh so that it didn't mess up my rod tubes.

~ Uni

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Jack stored reels similar to above - in a single layer flat against the wall:

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Behind the scenes at the American museum of Fly Fishing

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Waaaaah!…

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Brian! You win!!! :)

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Staring at section 2C - it hit me - this IS a very large rack.

The value of working together for a common goal.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Oh man would it be fun to peruse that rack. “Hmmmmmm, let’s give this one a cast . . . And that one next . . . .then that one . . And that one . . .”

I bet you could be there all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kave
Guide

Post by Kave »

You all have inspired me. I slapped this together using an old wooden bed frame my neighbor was throwing away.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

That looks about perfect!

Kave
Guide

Post by Kave »

Thanks, archer. Twas a fun project.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”