Rod tube rack

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: Rod tube rack

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Very pretty Bill!
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

That's a tank of a rod rack man!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Here's mine,

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Next time let's cast all the rods Mark? :)

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Bill Terry (#20) it looks like you did not leave any room for future expansion.
That was poor planning :)
But nice work.

I picked up a long time ago, I think from Cabela's a rod rack. It is a quarter circle, about 2ft on the sides, lots of holes. It was designed for "not fly rods" so the original spacing was only about 18 inch between the top and bottom. But the spacers were standard 3/4 inch dowels, so quick trip to HD or Lowes or someplace fixed that problem with little effort.

Reason for that story is if you don't have the tools or ability to make a complete thing, look at buying something close and modifying it. I think almost all of us have the ability to take a 6 ft 1x2 and cut it in half; the harder part is drilling the holes.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

mer wrote:
01/12/21 13:04
But nice work.
Thanks for the compliment and the dig. Actually, it doesn't even have room for all of my rods now, but it uses every square inch of the space I wanted to put it in. I'm hoping to sell a few rods to clear the clutter and make room for some bamboo rods I'll eventually acquire.

The rods I want to part with are mostly graphite, with one old fiberglass rod, none of which I have used for decades.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

mer wrote:
01/12/21 13:04
But nice work.
Mer nailed it.

The dilemma about "future expansion" of the rod collection is a delicate question if you are married. You want to allow for growth, but it's important that you not be too ostentatious about it--and that the rod rack have blurry margins. If it's a perfect grid, anything outside the order of the grid calls attention to itself. So it's necessary to make the grid messy.

My rack was cheap (cedar from Home Depot) and had an irregular layout, so that every few years I could add a couple of more holes, and the difference would not be too noticeable:

It's important in the early stages to make sure a few rods are not in the stand, but leaning next to it, to give the appearance of a slow blur:

Eventually, you'll get called out, and the ruse exposed, but by then you'll be content and happy, and have rods to sell if there should be some others that capture your fancy, as there always will be.

bb

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

BB:
Sweet.
And True.

Chopper
Sport

Post by Chopper »

Here is a nice compact 21 rod rack. It’s cheap and looks nice (I think anyways).

PENZZZ
Guide

Post by PENZZZ »

I've never been called out for having too many fly rods, but prior to building this rolling stand I'd been called out for messy tube storage numerous times. Glad my wife has her priorities straight...

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of
knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Chopper
Sport

Post by Chopper »

Penzzz, what rods are in your collection?

PENZZZ
Guide

Post by PENZZZ »

I believe that rack holds five bamboo rods, eleven fiberglass rods and three graphite rods. Four or five pictured tubes are temporarily empty.
"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of
knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Saw this bookshelf being tossed out. I thought I could give it a second life as a rod rack. Fits a dozen rods. I planned on hanging the line dryers on hooks inside it but their base is too thick for the hooks I had in mind. Time to look for some brass dowels to slide the base of the line dryers on instead.
FYI I may be in the doghouse over this one. The hole cutter burned the wood when I drilled the rod holes. Now there is a nasty burnt smell Val’s workout room, and she has a better idea of how many rods I really have. Before I had them in a few different places. There is still the loaded rack in the spare closet, the stash downstairs, and now a bunch “on display “ . Not sure which is worse the smell or the fact just a few rods honey is now a couple dozen .
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Nicely done!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

thegreek
Sport

Post by thegreek »

I think I would have many open holes in most of these racks. Ingenious ideas and some really remarkably beautiful racks!

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

That business about cobblers kids going barefoot - it's true. And so is cabinetry and furniture makers making do with, well, less than stellar storage solutions. I'm pretty low on my own list. Anyhoo. I (finally) made a rod tube rack. It's for the rods I use most, fresh and salt.

Lots of ways to store rods and tubes but I prefer the open design of an umbrella stand. It accommodates a wide variety of shapes and diameters as well as the occasional wading staff. Traditionally joined. Made of Cherry with a quarter-sawn frame and panel White Pine interior. Finished with linseed oil.

Easy in, easy out. A place to drop the favorites...

Image2B5A3333-C908-400B-8780-43AF0C60BD71 by Craig White, on Flickr

Image1803DC06-53DC-404E-92DE-4FE0569D9AE2 by Craig White, on Flickr

ImageC3FC2D49-B1E3-464D-9BD7-00707274E9D2 by Craig White, on Flickr

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

If you want to be creative, check entry #15 in this string, used a 1/2 size cameo case I got used on Offer Up. $35 and it holds 18 rods, plus has a mirror in back that makes it look bigger. It keeps fooling my wife, who I think is on to my "collecting", as she will walk into my office and ask, "how many rods do you have in there now?" Answers always the same... about a dozen (last count 19, but time to thin a couple to allow the next great rod to have some room).
David

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Boy CT I love the turned legs on your stand. Very handsome and unique! You created beautiful turned tops. I am guessing you have a lathe. I like the contrasting woods as well.

This is the one I made of all cherry. I’d love to be able to turn wood like you’ve done. Thanks. Jed
Fefferfly

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

fefferje wrote:
09/02/21 18:35
Boy CT I love the turned legs on your stand. Very handsome and unique! You created beautiful turned tops. I am guessing you have a lathe. I like the contrasting woods as well.
I have a mid-century Delta Rockwell for turning posts, table legs, etc. Ample cast iron mass. My only modification is the tool rest, extended out to 36".

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Thanks CT for the info. Maybe a wood lathe is in my future. Cheers, Jed
Fefferfly

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”