Let's take a look at some unusual/scarce Orvis fly rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Let's take a look at some unusual/scarce Orvis fly rods

Post by SpringCreek »

I no longer own this one, but I'll classify this one as uncommon. A 4' 4" Orvis Banty rod that was part of a set sold through Abercrombie.

Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Slate Drake 9
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Slate Drake 9 »

3 piece Midge. This one was VERY difficult to find, but worth the wait!

From l to r:

Early Superfine 1 3/4 oz, original model before they changed the taper adding 1/8 oz and making it a 6 weight. This one throws a sweet dt4 line. A bit quicker than the Deluxe. Much different animal than the 1 7/8 oz model. No stripper guide - all snakes.

Seven/Three - superb headwater rod.

Early 6.5’ Deluxe, again before they changed the taper. Early rods load with a 4 weight like the later taper loads with a 6. My headwater rod when the fish may be a bit more than my comfort level with the 7/3. A touch slower than the One Piece. Different animal than the post 1962/3 model that picked up some weight in the taper, even though they have the same ferrules. Side by side, you can see the difference in the butt sections above the grip. No stripper guide - all snakes.

Nymph from 1969. Smaller grip than the later Nymph I’ve owned and others I’ve handled. Just a lot of fun.

3 piece Midge - I prefer it with a 4 weight line. Similar action to the two piece model, but a touch quicker.

4 1/8 oz 2/2 Battenkill. Probably not that rare, but seems few come up for sale. A gem to fish on most streams. I like it equally with standard weight 5 and 6 weight lines.

Limestone Special - again not really rare, but seems few come up for sale. Feels like a stretched out 4 1/8 oz Battenkill, but a slight touch faster. I like it best with a standard weight 6wf line best.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks for the contributions, guys. Keep'em coming!

Here's the later Orvis Battenkill, 7'6", 2/2, "Far & Fine" just for sake of contrast and clarity.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Here's a "Limited Edition" Orvis Greenheart 8' 2/2 5 1/4 ozs rod. It's serial number 1 of 100 (most likely all 100 were never sold).

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Here's a 1953 Orvis Battenkill 6'6" 2/2 rod. (I believe at some point it was reworked by the Orvis Rod Shop)

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Here's a 6' 2/1 Superfine "Experimental" (short tipped) (since these photos were taken I've had it restored by Dennis Stone)

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Here's an unmarked Orvis 6'6" 3/2 Back Packer. This rod was purchased from John Rosencrantz's estate.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Wowee, that's a pretty rod!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Some great Orvis rods coming out in this thread, thanks again for starting it Scott. Flyrodman, your 6'6" rod appears to have what I call a tourist handle; does it have a ferrule and does the grip separate from the cane?

Scott, your Far and Fine has the same grip and metalwork as my Seven Four, I suspect that its from 1993 +/- 1-year?

The 3/2 midge was cataloged for several years, yet I've never seen one for sale in the past 3-years. People must really like them and pass them down through their family. I'd love to have one and will keep looking!

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

This is as special as my Orvis assortment gets for now- a single tip Nymph listed as perhaps the fifth ever released (thank you, Greg Reynolds!) in 1968. I love the slim Superfine profile grip. I sold a later production two tip Nymph that had the fat, long grip that didn't suit the elegant taper, and I also like the dark cane of the older rod.

Last edited by Shrimpman on 12/26/20 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Slate Drake 9
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Slate Drake 9 »

flyrod wrote:
12/25/20 12:38
Here's a 1953 Orvis Battenkill 6'6" 2/2 rod. (I believe at some point it was reworked by the Orvis Rod Shop)

Is this the 10 ferrule version of the taper?
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Don't tell me this thread has stalled already?! There have got to be bunch of unique rods out there, such as early varnished ones, Montague collaborations, etc.. Maybe not "rare", but it's nice to see something outside the core of Orvis production.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

This 6'6" 2/2 Battenkill Deluxe came to me via Short Tip. Believed to be 1952 Orvis shop made - likely employee rod or prototype, but with no serial numbers we'll never know. Ferrules are 11, taper is slightly smaller/thinner than my 1957 Deluxe 6'6" 2/2. A nice crisp DT4 - WF5 rod. The small cork grip is ridged, and bugs me some, but can't quite bring myself to send it back to Orvis for a new one - yet anyway.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

jhuskey wrote:
12/27/20 09:57
The small cork grip is ridged, and bugs me some, but can't quite bring myself to send it back to Orvis for a new one - yet anyway.
I must be the only one around here who likes ridged grips, it seems. Ridging is just another kind of patina--it comes with age, and it brings with it stories of time and fish and rivers--even if you can't access those stories, they are there. Fish the rod, enjoy it. and don't send it back to Orvis unless it breaks.

bb

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

My local trout streams are small to medium size. Over the years I have settled on relatively light weight 7 1/2 and 8 ft. trout rods for most of my fishing.

In the case of my Orvis rods, I've grown to especially like the Superfine models from the 1960s. And no, I'm not saying they are particularly rare, but you do see them much less often than the regular Battenkills IMHO.

The 7 1/2 ft. version shown here weighs 3 1/4 oz. and many would consider it "tip heavy" which I, frankly, like! Otherwise the taper is the same as the commonly seen 3 7/8 oz. Battenkill with a #12 ferrule. A 6 wt. line is recommended, but I always use a 5.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

That is perfectly paired with the J.W. Young- made Battenkill Lightweight!

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Here is the 1957 Deluxe 6'6" 2/2 with its custom grip, formed to fit the hand. Certainly not a rare rod, but a rare grip ;D

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Most of you have seen this rod way too many times; but at the risk of being gratuitous, here's #52907 one more time. It's a 8-foot, 12/64-ferrule development rod made in 1968, a prototype for the 8-foot, 4 1/8-oz, slow-action model introduced in the 1970 Orvis catalog. It came from the estate of rod shop superintendent Howard Steere.

These photos, which I've never posted before, are those that appear in Jordan The Rodmaker by Wes Jordan's son William H Jordan.

The back story is that I received an E-mail from publisher Todd Larson, owner of The Whitefish Press (and this forum) in June of 2010. He needed photos of Jordan-era Orvis rods for the book. I agreed, but it was a Friday and he needed them for the printer on the following Tuesday. He quickly E-mailed a sample page-layout of photos of a South Bend rod taken by forum member Bill Lambott.

There were other problems. First was that I'm not a rod collector, and only owned a few rods actually made during Wes' tenure. I directed Todd to Rich Margiotta (forum member Eastprong), who has forgotten more about early Jordan-era rods than I'll ever know. Secondly, I'm a low-skilled photographer, and the only camera I owned was a sub-$100 Nikon point & shoot--it would have to do with the aid of photoshop. I had nowhere to photograph; the light inside was terrible, and it was too sunny outside. I ended-up using my wife's ironing board, covered with a brown bed sheet, under the shade of our north-facing front porch. :o It took a few days, but I had 22 photos of 4 rods, plus some catalog scans to him by Monday afternoon. I think they could've turned out worse... :)

I received a nicely inscribed copy of the book for my troubles, and a lovely thank-you letter from William, which I really treasure.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

You’ve done a fine job Greg!

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

... and so it began...
A great start to a great taper. Thank you for sharing again!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”