Let's take a look at some unusual/scarce Orvis fly rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

flyrod
Guide

Re: Let's take a look at some unusual/scarce Orvis fly rods

Post by flyrod »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
12/25/20 13:25
Some great Orvis rods coming out in this thread, thanks again for starting it Scott. Flyrodman, your 6'6" rod appears to have what I call a tourist handle; does it have a ferrule and does the grip separate from the cane?

Scott, your Far and Fine has the same grip and metalwork as my Seven Four, I suspect that its from 1993 +/- 1-year?

The 3/2 midge was cataloged for several years, yet I've never seen one for sale in the past 3-years. People must really like them and pass them down through their family. I'd love to have one and will keep looking!
You have good eyes as yes the grip has a ferrule in it. The butt section has an extra stripper guide which I believe would have been used with a spinning reel. Since John had made it for himself I'm thinking he also had made a spinning rod grip. Sadly if there was a second grip it's long gone.

Thanks for asking :pipe
Last edited by flyrod on 12/28/20 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Slate Drake 9 wrote:
12/26/20 10:07
flyrod wrote:
12/25/20 12:38
Here's a 1953 Orvis Battenkill 6'6" 2/2 rod. (I believe at some point it was reworked by the Orvis Rod Shop)

Is this the 10 ferrule version of the taper?
The rod currently has 11 ferrules on it, not sure what was on it originally. I believe the ferrules have been expertly replaced by the Orvis Rod Shop as the thread color is just so slightly different from the guide wraps. The ferrules have zero patina on them which is hard to believe for a 67 year old rod. Plus the grip and reel seat are in "as new" condition, which is unlikely for a rod of that age.

I don't know if the Orvis Rod Shop keeps records on repairs, but I'd love to know more history on the rod :pipe

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

flyrod wrote:
12/28/20 10:33
Slate Drake 9 wrote:
12/26/20 10:07
flyrod wrote:
12/25/20 12:38
Here's a 1953 Orvis Battenkill 6'6" 2/2 rod. (I believe at some point it was reworked by the Orvis Rod Shop)

Is this the 10 ferrule version of the taper?
The rod currently has 11 ferrules on it, not sure what was on it originally. I believe the ferrules have been expertly replaced by the Orvis Rod Shop as the thread color is just so slightly different from the guide wraps. The ferrules have zero patina on them which is hard to believe for a 67 year old rod. Plus the grip and reel seat are in "as new" condition, which is unlikely for a rod of that age.

I don't know if the Orvis Rod Shop keeps records on repairs, but I'd love to know more history on the rod :pipe
It a 11/64-ferrule rod. The original 10/64-ferrule Deluxe was produced in relatively small numbers in 1952. They're a very scarce Orvis model. Production of the 11/64-ferrule Deluxe started in the autumn of 1952, and it first appeared in the 1953 catalog. Also scarce with the wood reel seat.

Orvis doesn't keep maintenance rods. It's been refinished at Orvis, but remains a very nice rod and is ready for another 100 years of service.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

jhuskey wrote:
12/27/20 09:57
This 6'6" 2/2 Battenkill Deluxe came to me via Short Tip. Believed to be 1952 Orvis shop made - likely employee rod or prototype, but with no serial numbers we'll never know. Ferrules are 11, taper is slightly smaller/thinner than my 1957 Deluxe 6'6" 2/2. A nice crisp DT4 - WF5 rod. The small cork grip is ridged, and bugs me some, but can't quite bring myself to send it back to Orvis for a new one - yet anyway.

Are you sure that it's not the 10/64 model? I've handle this one and thought it was. In any case, I'm certain it's a very early regular production rod that simply lost its serial number to maintenance, bug spray or whatever. Hold on to this one as is, it's an absolute delight...

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Thanks Greg, it is not going anywhere, and yes it is an absolute delight. The ferrules measures less than 11 (~10.5), but will not fit my drill gauge's 10/64ths hole, obviously. Gently tried one male into the 1957 11 ferrule, and the fit is fairly loose, but not totally sloppy. Probably just typical variances I am guessing.

Greg, thank you for all the work you have done with the database - it is a treasure for sure!

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Thanks Greg for the added info on my 6'6" Battenkill Deluxe! And a HUGE thanks for keeping the Orvis Database :D

RBishop
Sport

Post by RBishop »

Anyone own a one piece Superfine Orvis rod? Are they extremely rare? I don't have one but thought I saw one for sale once upon a time.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

See post #42 of this thread. The rod on the far left is a 1 3/4 oz. One-Piece Superfine.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

RBishop wrote:
12/30/20 09:09
Anyone own a one piece Superfine Orvis rod? Are they extremely rare? I don't have one but thought I saw one for sale once upon a time.
They don't seem come to market that often, but they're not rare. There are currently 181 on my database; 129 of the 1 3/4-oz model made from 1953-1962, and 52 of the 1 7/8 model made from 1963 through 1971. I'll speculate that at least 200 were made.

This is mine, #59948 made in 1970:

I fish it mostly with a DT5, and occasionally with a DT4 on more open streams. The Orvis-recommended 6-weigh line overloads it for all but the shortest casts--it's just too much line.

I posted this in 2013:
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=63738&p=544514&hil ... ne#p544514
Last edited by Greg Reynolds on 12/31/20 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Slate Drake 9
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Slate Drake 9 »

While I certainly won’t argue your numbers, as they are true, I have a hard time believing that there are more of the earlier 1 3/4oz model than the later 1 7/8oz model. It took a long time to find mine and it seems the only ones that come to market are the later, heavier tapered ones.

Is it more probable that folks just like the earlier taper and aren’t selling them as often or that there are a lot more later models that just aren’t in your database yet?
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Slate Drake 9 wrote:
12/31/20 06:26
While I certainly won’t argue your numbers, as they are true, I have a hard time believing that there are more of the earlier 1 3/4oz model than the later 1 7/8oz model. It took a long time to find mine and it seems the only ones that come to market are the later, heavier tapered ones.

Is it more probable that folks just like the earlier taper and aren’t selling them as often or that there are a lot more later models that just aren’t in your database yet?
Slate Drake 9 wrote:
12/31/20 06:26

Yes. My database is incomplete from serial number 20000 to current. The only definite is that 109 Superfines were made from 3/14/53 though 9/17/56 (~42 months) for an average production of 31 rods per year. Lowest production was 17 (1954) and highest production was 42 (1955, which skews the average).

The 1 3/4-oz Superfine was made for ~9 years (1953 though 1962), while the 1 7/8-oz Superfine was made for ~8 years (1963 through 1971). There's nothing to indicate that demand/production increased from 1963 though 1968, and it appears to have decreased after 1968.

Twenty-eight 1 7/8-oz rods were sold in fiscal year 1968 (10/1/67 - 9/27/68) per the 1969 Orvis records (see the link in my previous post). Thirty-five were in inventory on 9/28/68 and no 6-foot Superfines were made in 1969 (rodshop job order 2022 is empty). No one-piece Superfines made in 1969 appear on my database.

So, it appears that more 1 3/4-oz rods were made, but maybe not many more.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
12/30/20 23:02
RBishop wrote:
They don't seem come to market that often, but they're not rare. There are currently 181 on my database; 129 of the 1 3/4-oz model made from 1953-1962, and 52 of the 1 7/8 model made from 1963 through 1971. I'll speculate that at least 200 were made.
I've thought about my comment on rarity above, and I'm not sure I'm right. I suppose it's about context. Two-hundred Superfines (or whatever the actual production was) isn't an insignificant number of rods. However, it is only about 0.2% of Orvis' rod production since 1940. The only Superfine I've actually seen is my own.

Slate Drake 9
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Slate Drake 9 »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
12/31/20 13:09
Greg Reynolds wrote:
RBishop wrote:
I've thought about my comment on rarity above, and I'm not sure I'm right. I suppose it's about context. Two-hundred Superfines (or whatever the actual production was) isn't an insignificant number of rods. However, it is only about 0.2% of Orvis' rod production since 1940. The only Superfine I've actually seen is my own.
The only rod I’ve personally seen less of is the 3 piece Midge and I have no idea how many of them were made, but they seem to be pretty few and far between.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
12/31/20 13:09
Greg Reynolds wrote:
RBishop wrote:
Here's another 6' Superfine (Ser # 52970). Strangely it has two different names written on it from the Orvis Rod Shop.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

flyrod wrote:
12/31/20 19:37

Here's another 6' Superfine (Ser # 52970). Strangely it has two different names written on it from the Orvis Rod Shop.

Wish I knew the provenance of this rod. I'm thinking there's a family connection:

"Jeffrey Godfrey, born April 30th 1918, began his career with the Orvis Company in the early part of the 1960's, becoming the Rod Shop manager in 1967, a position he held until 1972. During his reign as manager, Mr. Godfrey experienced many changes implemented by then President, Leigh H. Perkins, such as the introduction of the Fly-Fishing School in Manchester, VT a year prior, with expanded marketing through the ever-increasing mail order business, each having an equal demand on a manager's time. Godfrey, a meticulous record keeper, was determined to not only keep the company in the black by maintaining explicit records as any good manager would do, but also interjected his love of fishing and the products he worked with by developing new "experimental" rod tapers, producing a limited number of these rods in an effort to provide the Orvis customers with the best rods money could buy. Corresponding with his contemporaries and peers, Godfrey kept pace with the ever-increasing interest in fly fishing, and worked very hard to keep his company at the fore-front, as evidenced by the great attention to detail he provides in his records. The rods offered today are examples of his work, many inked with his notes or improvements, or simply "Experimental" on the rod shaft. Leaving employment in 1972, Mr. Godfrey returned home to Abinton, CT, where he passed away on May 23rd, 1999. The collection offered here is a great chance to own a part of Orvis rod making history, an opportunity that does not come along often."

Also wish I knew more about Jeff Godfrey and his working relationship to Wes Jorden. I'd never heard of him until his estate was sold about 15 years ago. I purchased the 1969 rodshop records indirectly from his estate.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Mr. Godfrey's house was in Abington, Connecticut just next door to the town of Pomfret. A house I was in about 50 years ago when I knew his son.
His son still lives in the house.
PM sent
Last edited by cwfly on 01/01/21 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

More good stuff, guys. Thanks for sharing!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
01/01/21 09:11
flyrod wrote:
12/31/20 19:37

Wish I knew the provenance of this rod. I'm thinking there's a family connection:

"Jeffrey Godfrey, born April 30th 1918, began his career with the Orvis Company in the early part of the 1960's, becoming the Rod Shop manager in 1967, a position he held until 1972. During his reign as manager, Mr. Godfrey experienced many changes implemented by then President, Leigh H. Perkins, such as the introduction of the Fly-Fishing School in Manchester, VT a year prior, with expanded marketing through the ever-increasing mail order business, each having an equal demand on a manager's time. Godfrey, a meticulous record keeper, was determined to not only keep the company in the black by maintaining explicit records as any good manager would do, but also interjected his love of fishing and the products he worked with by developing new "experimental" rod tapers, producing a limited number of these rods in an effort to provide the Orvis customers with the best rods money could buy. Corresponding with his contemporaries and peers, Godfrey kept pace with the ever-increasing interest in fly fishing, and worked very hard to keep his company at the fore-front, as evidenced by the great attention to detail he provides in his records. The rods offered today are examples of his work, many inked with his notes or improvements, or simply "Experimental" on the rod shaft. Leaving employment in 1972, Mr. Godfrey returned home to Abinton, CT, where he passed away on May 23rd, 1999. The collection offered here is a great chance to own a part of Orvis rod making history, an opportunity that does not come along often."

Also wish I knew more about Jeff Godfrey and his working relationship to Wes Jorden. I'd never heard of him until his estate was sold about 15 years ago. I purchased the 1969 rod shop records indirectly from his estate.
Thanks Greg for the great info on Jeffrey Godfrey, having two names on the rod now makes more sense. First name is the rod maker, second name is the first owner of the rod.

I purchased the rod in 2016 from the Chris Lloyd (Salmonid) Collection. As some of you will remember, Chris was an avid Orvis rod collector before his untimely passing in 2013.

I also would love to know more provenance of this rod!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Surely someone on this forum must own one of the Limited Edition 8' 3/2 4 1/8 ounce rods sold in a presentation box or with the leather tube from 1977/78. We have also seen some rare early Rocky Mountains and the 5'5" 3-piece. Please share them again here.

Happy New Year,
Joe

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Here's the Greenheart rod in the box, not sure how many of the scheduled 100 ever got built, but this was definitely a brave move for Orvis, as the "old" technology yielded a rod with reasonable weight and a dry fly habit, very cool rod if you can find one.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”